Good Coronavirus / COVID-19 Article

superbob
Site Admin

Re: Good Coronavirus / COVID-19 Article

Post by superbob »

I have a feeling that once widespread testing comes out, we're going to find out that a lot more people in the US had it without knowing. Case study and all that, seems it gives you one solid URI and that if you have lung problems or are a smoker it'll hit you worse, possibly be deadly.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

superbob wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:32 pm I have a feeling that once widespread testing comes out, we're going to find out that a lot more people in the US had it without knowing. Case study and all that, seems it gives you one solid URI and that if you have lung problems or are a smoker it'll hit you worse, possibly be deadly.
From what I saw it basically makes your body turn your lungs into swiss cheese if you're unlucky. If your lungs are already weak from smoking or other problems, yikes.

Fun site:

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 7b48e9ecf6

Edit: Haven't done any confirmation of the math on this one, but the overall scenario is still applicable and something else to consider:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1236 ... 03909.html

From my experience in major hospitals, beds are often much more full than she indicates. Especially in major cities.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

Now would a perfect time for movie studios to invest in making new film releases available at home though on-demand. Tons of films getting delayed and rather than take the hit just release it on demand for a price.

Wishful thinking.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

So Canada and U.S. are shutting down their boarders to each other for non-essential travel. Freight trucks will still pass. Stocks are going to plummet again.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

Wasn't Canada still letting in people from China?
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Digital Masta wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:27 pm Wasn't Canada still letting in people from China?
Yes because of our SJW Leader with no backbone unlike your Leader. I believe that stopped now.

They weren't even properly screening people at our busiest airport in the country Toronto Pearson Airport until people were outing them on social media.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

You know I never thought II'd see something that cause more of a global disruption than 9/11 in my life time but this Coronavirus definitely is at the top at this point.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

If only our leader had a brain. Sounds like your leader's is gone too. Travel bans would have helped... months ago. Now it's pretty much futile. Every little bit helps, but it's also why the market tanked immediately after Trump announced the ban. The ban does nothing to help detect and stop it, especially since it ignores US citizens or permanent residents. All it's doing is stopping people who are asymptomatic from getting on a plane, and asymptomatic travelling people are a minority.

I did read about HCQ being a possible treatment, but studies are extremely preliminary and uncontrolled so far. I'll be keeping an eye out.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

At this point watching the news more and more isn't really helping. Everyone knows what they have to do at this point and now it's just a matter of figuring out how to handle your own business.
superbob
Site Admin

Post by superbob »

I do have the advantage now (over the last year actually) of being able to work from home if I have to. The company I work for is only about 13 people and my desk is over 10' away from anyone else. It would be a transition to go from two monitors to one for my work but if I had to self isolate for 2 weeks I could do it without any real loss of income.

That being said, just waiting for that government cheese to help stimulate the economy.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

superbob wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:00 am
That being said, just waiting for that government cheese to help stimulate the economy.
Except long term it won't. The US government is the largest debtor nation, we have no money. It's all debt and with these proposed bailouts and new QE (that they aren't calling QE) they're gonna have to print money...which is never good.
superbob
Site Admin

Post by superbob »

Digital Masta wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:27 am
superbob wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:00 am
Except long term it won't. The US government is the largest debtor nation, we have no money. It's all debt and with these proposed bailouts and new QE (that they aren't calling QE) they're gonna have to print money...which is never good.
I was mostly joking on that one, I do 99% of my work on autocad so I haven't slowed down at all and can work remotely if I have to. My comment was mostly based on that I was going to use it for a purchase I had been holding off on as I deemed it non critical and I have enough savings to last me through 6 months of bills
Rai Ryuzaki

Post by Rai Ryuzaki »

My job has cancelled all shifts until April 13th at the earliest. THIS. SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Rai Ryuzaki wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:19 am My job has cancelled all shifts until April 13th at the earliest. THIS. SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What do you do again?
Rai Ryuzaki

Post by Rai Ryuzaki »

I work in a restaurant.
Holy Cowboy

Post by Holy Cowboy »

So. The coronavirus bill was CLOSE AS HELL to passing, then.. pelosi and schumer pulled a "NOPE!!" and then senate dems fall in line to vote against it. 47-47 after all this negotion. I don't know about you guys but with #peoplevspelosi and #peoplevsschumer trending by Dems and Republcian voters and the apparently the hashtags were forced off the trending chart by twitter ( suppression ). I'm thinking that 2020 election is looking like it might be such a big red tidal wave it'll knock Earth out of orbit.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

I'm not seeing those trending anywhere. Can you send me a link?

It looks like they voted the package down because it gave the Treasury department sole oversight over who the money goes to bailout corporations without any limits (unlike the TARP in 2008, which did have limits). There were provisions in the bill over the weekend that Democrats had agreed on that were taken out. The small business bill is apparently separate and might still pass.

Also not sure why Pelosi would trend on a failed Senate resolution?

Edit: Grammar
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Plot twist, Harvey Weinstein blood can make a serum to cure all women of COVID19.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

San Goku wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:03 pm Plot twist, Harvey Weinstein blood can make a serum to cure all women of COVID19.
Oooh, here's a fun ethics game. You've got three choices: Harvey Weinstein's blood works as you say it does - a cure for COVID-19. But he's only got enough blood (if you drained him entirely) to cure 100 people. Do you:

1. Not kill Harvey Weinstein. He doesn't want to die, you'd have to effectively murder him.
2. Kill Harvey Weinstein, use his blood to treat 1,000 people immediately that will die if they don't get it soon. If the 1,000 people are treated now 50,000 people will not die down the line.
3. Kill Harvey Weinstein, and use all of his blood (less is not sufficient) to be able to replicate the relevant specialness of it to cure people. It's a long term project (~3-6 months). 50,000 will die before it can be produced.

We'll say that without a cure, 250,000 people will die.

After you've decided which one you'll do, consider the following caveats to see if you change your mind (or even if it makes you stop and think twice):

1. You have to kill Harvey yourself.
2. You have to administer the blood yourself, possibly infecting yourself.
3. You have to tell the 1,000 people who might otherwise get the blood and be treated that they're going to die because of your decision.

Lastly - does your role change your answer? i.e. If someone approaches you as you are now and forces the decision on you versus if you're the leader of your country.

Also there's totally a card game based on the ethical trolley already: https://www.amazon.com/Trial-Trolley-Di ... B07X5DV7T9

I've never played it, can't advocate for it or against it.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Decisions, decisions.....I feel we could all have a COVID19 TAL game night online now lol.