There we go

Colep924

Re: There we go

Post by Colep924 »

Mongor wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:56 am
Colep924 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:28 am Didn’t wanna post it in the Berserk thread cause I don’t wanna excite anyone, but a big Berserk announcement is coming October 9th. Hopefully it’s about a regular release schedule for the manga, but I think the rumor is a new anime adaptation
You failed big time and I've been excited like a child since I saw your post. The 9th has been and gone and I hold you personally responsible that I haven't read a new Berserk chapter.

I'm not sure I really give a shit about a Zod statue so that was a waste of time. At least we do know we'll have a chapter on the 23rd though.
Hah yeah I saw the reveal and I was like, shit good thing I didn’t post it in the Berserk thread. I guess it still got some people excited though
Cane_The9lives

Post by Cane_The9lives »

Bit of a subject change, but with all of the movie delays happening lately this topic has been swirling through my mind at random intervals and its really starting to bug me a bit.

Anyone else think this is the beginning of the end of for movie theaters? Revenue and ticket sales have been falling for years with the assurgency of online streaming, not to mention the AMC-Universal compromise shortening the title exclusivity window and the recent temporary closures of Regal cinemas due to the aforementioned movie release delays...I'm really starting to think the hammer is slowly pounding away at the final death nail of the traditional movie experience.

While I'm certainly not ready to log a time of death just yet( some of the doomsday prognostication sounds like projection from people who HATE movie theaters) I really don't see how they can survive without a dramatic reorganization of the business model. I don't support a bailout(there was a recent signed petition from dozens of high profile directors asking congress to craft legislation to do exactly that) but something is going to have to give pretty soon otherwise I think the studios are going to panic and start cutting cinemas out of the loop entirely.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Cane_The9lives wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:36 pm Bit of a subject change, but with all of the movie delays happening lately this topic has been swirling through my mind at random intervals and its really starting to bug me a bit.

Anyone else think this is the beginning of the end of for movie theaters? Revenue and ticket sales have been falling for years with the assurgency of online streaming, not to mention the AMC-Universal compromise shortening the title exclusivity window and the recent temporary closures of Regal cinemas due to the aforementioned movie release delays...I'm really starting to think the hammer is slowly pounding away at the final death nail of the traditional movie experience.

While I'm certainly not ready to log a time of death just yet( some of the doomsday prognostication sounds like projection from people who HATE movie theaters) I really don't see how they can survive without a dramatic reorganization of the business model. I don't support a bailout(there was a recent signed petition from dozens of high profile directors asking congress to craft legislation to do exactly that) but something is going to have to give pretty soon otherwise I think the studios are going to panic and start cutting cinemas out of the loop entirely.
Yes but I think the theaters can avert dying off the way of the dinosaurs by pivoting their business model a bit. Maybe make the theater just one aspect of the entertainment experience. Similar to them having arcades in AMC. In Canada at Cineplex they have a VIP theater with leather chairs, you can order food and liquor at your seats.

No doubt that they are going to get destroyed while this pandemic is going on and even long term affects for months, maybe years after. But eventually people will want to gtfo of their homes (at least I hope and assume we don't turn into zombies on the internet more than we do as a society).

Not only theaters but the aviation industry is going to and getting destroyed but of course people are going to want to go to the airport and travel at some point in time.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Disney has also been sticking it to theaters apparently - especially for things like Marvel movies and Star Wars they've been asking for more of the profit share than before.

San's got it right - they'll either have to adapt to a new business model or fold. I've been in the "get served food while you watch" ones, but it's not really like the food is anything to write home about. I'm waiting for more of a "good restaurant where you can also watch movies" type one.
killacross

Post by killacross »

Digital Masta wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:33 pm
killacross wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:49 pm Just watched Better Call Saul season 5

...such a compelling show! Excellent writers and casting all around!
I don't see him being Breaking Bad Saul without something horrible happening to Kim.
I just see it as she gets cold feet and leaves him. She may even lose her license. But he will definitely betray her to keep his. She looks at him and says I'm done...and walks away forever.
xandorxerxes wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:59 pm Disney has also been sticking it to theaters apparently - especially for things like Marvel movies and Star Wars they've been asking for more of the profit share than before.

San's got it right - they'll either have to adapt to a new business model or fold. I've been in the "get served food while you watch" ones, but it's not really like the food is anything to write home about. I'm waiting for more of a "good restaurant where you can also watch movies" type one.
You missed the other half where he says you can order liquor. I was at one before that I would say is the equivalent of fast food w/ beer and liquor. We honestly had a really good time....but definitely not worth the $100 we spent.
eddieson

Post by eddieson »

Theaters are not going extinct in the near future. The box office has been hitting record highs the last few years. And even though studios make about 50% of the box office and about 25% from China, they still make a lot of money from releasing in theaters. And the ones that make a good amount of the budget back plus some of the sometimes 100 mil they spend on advertising before going in the ancillary market the better chances of making a profit. Cause so far no studio is making a profit on releasing movies digitally. Trolls World Tour had the first week's sales released then went quiet real quick and the follow up movie from Universal didn't even have the digital numbers released.

@San they already have theaters in the US that have leather seats, motion seats, seats that spray chemicals and air to make you feel like you're there, theaters with food and liquor and all that other stuff. The problem with that stuff is that the food and liquor are really expensive in theaters since that's where they make the bulk of their revenue from.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Link: https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5762115

The best real life Lightsaber done to date. He even goes through his explanation in a fun and cool way. He also mentions his past iterations.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Savannah Guthrie debating Trump was hilarious. She unintentionally made Trump look good lol.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

San Goku wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:57 am Savannah Guthrie debating Trump was hilarious. She unintentionally made Trump look good lol.
She had the right take, it was Stephanopolous that didn't press hard enough. Politicians need to be held responsible for their actions, or lack thereof. If people had taken Trump seriously and fact-checked him this hard since the beginning, we could have had a real Republican candidate last election.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy3tP-BW5do

I do enjoy me some Tom Woods...you can watch at 2x speed if it's too long.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Digital Masta wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:03 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy3tP-BW5do

Sounds great, his only knock will be he is not a doctor (medical). But he makes a lot of sense. I only got 10 min in. It's late now. I wouldn't mind reading his best seller either.

Who would of thought Wolf Blitzer would have scored points for CNN. He triggered Nancy Pelosi, I was disgusted lol.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

San Goku wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:31 am
Digital Masta wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:03 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy3tP-BW5do

Sounds great, his only knock will be he is not a doctor (medical).

You don't have to be a doctor to be able to read data and statements made by medical professionals.
killacross

Post by killacross »

whats new with your girl DM?

wife said it's time to start trying for #2...she's stopped taking her birth control :shock: :shock: :shock:
...she doesn't understand it just means backshots until I fuck up :lol:
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

killacross wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:07 pm whats new with your girl DM?

wife said it's time to start trying for #2...she's stopped taking her birth control :shock: :shock: :shock:
We are not there yet (purposely) but she saying she wants #2 by next year.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Digital Masta wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:11 am
San Goku wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:31 am

Sounds great, his only knock will be he is not a doctor (medical).

You don't have to be a doctor to be able to read data and statements made by medical professionals.
I agree to a certain extent but something as big as this he will have critics. To be fair Dr. Faucci flip flop on some big medical recommendations. I see Tom Woods is a founder of some neo-confederate organization. I do not like or fuck with that.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

killacross wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:07 pm whats new with your girl DM?

So we now know what position killa likes to finish in.

Things are good. The other day I asked her while we were walking back from pancakes how I'm doing as a boyfriend because I think checking in on our relationship is important and she said she's super happy.
killacross

Post by killacross »

San Goku

Post by San Goku »

killacross wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:35 am Not my fault....

https://tenor.com/view/beginner-element ... f-16229303
Definitely finishing in that position!
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

I don't mind Tom Woods as much as I do others, but he's already been wrong multiple times in five minutes. I'll finish the rest later.

1) We flattened the curve... temporarily. Then we relaxed and it shot back up.
2) The hospitals were overwhelmed. The healthcare workers that were laid off or otherwise furloughed were workers in areas that got cut like elective surgery. I know at least one hospital that had to close their cancer wards to make them COVID wards.
3) The goalposts aren't moving, we're still fucked, as we're spiking again.
4) He references the NYT post about what he calls false positives - they aren't, they're true positives just at a viral load that's very low - but neglects that the reason the threshold is set that low is to catch new infections before they become worse. The alternative mentioned in the article is multiple tests over a smaller window of time with a higher threshold, but our testing was so poor that we couldn't do that.

Yes, lots of information changed. New ways to look at information were considered. We got to experience first hand the scientific method working - new things/ideas came out, we changed our assumptions and methods as we got new information. That's the basis of sound judgement. He's turned that into a negative.

There's a reason other countries are mostly back to normal and we aren't. We fucked up big time. We put political appointees in charge of health organizations and gutted budgets as 'wasted money' for things that were contingency plans. I see it all the time - businesses don't plan appropriately for business continuity issues. We, as a country, stopped spending money on continuity - and everything was fine until we needed it. I guess Trump was right, Mexico wants to pay for that wall to keep us out.

Our response was one of the worst in the world.

If you want to argue that our measures infringe on your rights, well, ha-ha told you so they don't. Our rights have deteriorated for years, and it's like people are just now figuring out they don't have as many rights as they thought they did. Turns out everything's perfectly legal because of it.

If people don't want to wear masks, then they should be able to be held liable for their actions when their asymptomatic self infects someone high-risk. Maybe once people are sued into oblivion to cover unnecessary hospital bills because "fuck everyone else I don't want to wear a mask" we'll actually get somewhere. Even the damn president STILL doesn't get it. "People who wear masks still get sick." No fucking shit, it's almost like wearing the mask protests everyone else from you, and not you from everyone else.