There we go

xandorxerxes

Re: There we go

Post by xandorxerxes »

Digital Masta wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:07 pm
xandorxerxes wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:33 pm
States can't make laws that violate the Constitution, so they can't tell the Judiciary to fuck itself. If the Judiciary finds that a law violates the Constitution, it's struck down. The Legislative has the power to change that by amending the law to avoid the Constitutional conflict or amend the Constitution.
Oh really? How does the judiciary enforce that decision? It has no enforcement arm, it has to rely on states to do what it said. What happens if a state says, "Nope". That is highly unlikely to happen but that's not the point.
Yeah, at the end of the day the executive branch is the one with the physical power. Legislative can make a law, judicial can make a verdict on a law, but if the executive says fuck it nothing happens. There are obviously procedures if something like that happens, but probably what happens is the executive fractures between factions and private armies make a killing.

Assuming we're not talking executive takeover, the state judges will defer to the supreme court verdict if another case comes up on the law deemed unconstitutional. If that fails, the federal government steps in - they can either legislate it or just force the state to comply. Escalation could get nasty if it came to it, but I assume at some point someone in the state gets sacked and someone else moves in.
killacross

Post by killacross »

I'm still waiting for the stories of Republican's celebrating RBG's death

I'm sure it has to do with the sources I look at...but i remember a whole slew of articles about the "left" celebrating Scalia's death and showing their intolerance -- a few days later

...I also remember some of the tweets were disrespectful...but hilarious
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

Also...1000s gather outside supreme court...but god forbid you open your buisness. If you think this shit is still about health you're a fucking moron.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

killacross wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:40 pm I'm still waiting for the stories of Republican's celebrating RBG's death

I'm sure it has to do with the sources I look at...but i remember a whole slew of articles about the "left" celebrating Scalia's death and showing their intolerance -- a few days later

I'm not seeing any articles from major news outlets, but I'm sure it happened. Leftists are still people, and people are awful. I'm sure some are happy that 200,000 people died to COVID, especially among older generations, because that hurts Trump. Doug Collins on the right took minutes to celebrate her death, and I'm sure there are lots more politicians doing it in private. I mean... we know McConnell is because McConnell.
Digital Masta wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:03 am Also...1000s gather outside supreme court...but god forbid you open your buisness. If you think this shit is still about health you're a fucking moron.
It is about health, but you have 1st amendment issues with protests. You have the right to gather at a business too, just no constitutional right to operate one. States can't really stop the protests or gatherings unless police find a reason (also DC isn't a state yet, so it's got its own issues). All the nationwide protests helped spike our outbreak before, this gathering is at least smaller. Only good picture I've seen showed most people in masks, but not distancing so it's less effective. All of the health experts told people not to gather together during the Floyd protest too, but this goes back to people being awful...

Extra negative tonight, sorry.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

xandorxerxes wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:04 am
killacross wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:40 pm I'm still waiting for the stories of Republican's celebrating RBG's death

I'm not seeing any articles from major news outlets, but I'm sure it happened. Leftists are still people, and people are awful. I'm sure some are happy that 200,000 people died to COVID, especially among older generations, because that hurts Trump. Doug Collins on the right took minutes to celebrate her death, and I'm sure there are lots more politicians doing it in private. I mean... we know McConnell is because McConnell.
Digital Masta wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:03 am Also...1000s gather outside supreme court...but god forbid you open your buisness. If you think this shit is still about health you're a fucking moron.
It is about health, but you have 1st amendment issues with protests. You have the right to gather at a business too, just no constitutional right to operate one. States can't really stop the protests or gatherings unless police find a reason (also DC isn't a state yet, so it's got its own issues). All the nationwide protests helped spike our outbreak before, this gathering is at least smaller. Only good picture I've seen showed most people in masks, but not distancing so it's less effective. All of the health experts told people not to gather together during the Floyd protest too, but this goes back to people being awful...

Extra negative tonight, sorry.
You and I have been through this already, we're on opposite sides of the universe, and let's just agree to disagree. I'm done.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Started work, 06:00am Sunday and it is now 08:30am. This was the post I needed to see to get me through my shift lol.

Also because it reminded me of just last week that I had to slap some sense into the wife that thought our 16 month year old son should get a COVID19 test done just because the Daycare said he has a runny nose.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Surprised RBG kicked the bucket (not really) but every time the media made it looked like this was it, she said nope I'm still going to work.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

San Goku wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:43 pm Surprised RBG kicked the bucket (not really) but every time the media made it looked like this was it, she said nope I'm still going to work.
Yeah, but because she kept that tough attitude she lost the chance to affect who her replacement will be. Pancreatic cancer doesn't fuck around.
Digital Masta wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:11 am
You and I have been through this already, we're on opposite sides of the universe, and let's just agree to disagree. I'm done.
Hopefully one day in the near-ish future there won't be anything to disagree on and we'll stop losing hundreds of people a day and we will be able to spend time with our loved ones instead of watching them deteriorate and die from a distance.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

^^ You know it would take 10,000 billion years traveling at the speed of light to get from one end of the the universe to the other?
Cane_The9lives

Post by Cane_The9lives »

Digital Masta wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:07 pm
Oh really? How does the judiciary enforce that decision? It has no enforcement arm, it has to rely on states to do what it said. What happens if a state says, "Nope". That is highly unlikely to happen but that's not the point, the point is someone other than the judiciary has to enforce what they decided.
Unless you're referring to "Enforcement" within the context of mobilization of armed forces in the unlikely event of non compliance(the ultimate display of authority), vested to the executive in article 2, then the answer to your question is simple; the supremacy clause of article 6.
The clause firmly establishes the various states legislatures and judiciaries are subordinate to the supreme law pursuant to the constitution, just saying "Nope" to supersede federal law that's constitutionally adherent is not a power said document affords the states.

Citing the clause in supreme court decisions would essentially be a de facto(rather than de jure) means of enforcement.
Sure, at the end of the day that can still refuse but as you rightly pointed out that is not an occurrence of high probability and would plunge the country into legal anarchy.

Sans the threat of physical intervention, legal muscle carries with it its own implied enforcement mechanisms.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Shapiro on reasons lockdowns should end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymD9ipSm-eg
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Anyone watching the superhero show The Boys? How do you meet the expectations set by the success of season 1? You bring on another asshole superhero on the level of Homelander lol. I'm 4 eps in and looking forward to seeing what Stormfront is about.
killacross

Post by killacross »

I'm rewatching season 1 with the wife to give season 2 some time to get ahead of us...so spoiled with netflix dropping entire seasons on day 1.

So...I forgot a lot of plot points from season 1...so will be fun with it all fresh going into season 2
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

Didn’t wanna post it in the Berserk thread cause I don’t wanna excite anyone, but a big Berserk announcement is coming October 9th. Hopefully it’s about a regular release schedule for the manga, but I think the rumor is a new anime adaptation
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

I just finished season 1 of Cobra Kai and I really dig it.

As I'm going through season 2 I like how the show does a great job of showing that Daniel is also kind of a dick. Both him and Johnny have their issues and I feel like there could be a good balance between Johnny's Cobra Kai and Daniel's Miyagi-do style. The two don't have to be at odds if Johnny and Daniel can get their heads outta their asses.

EDIT: Just finished season 2...damn, this show is good.
killacross

Post by killacross »

Ugh.. In the Frankfurt Germany Airport waiting to be covid tested.. And their system went offline

.. Raggedy ass shit Germany... That's why you lost the war

USA USA!

I kid... But already ran into obnoxious Americans... Less than 10 mins after arrival
eddieson

Post by eddieson »

Digital Masta wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:06 am I just finished season 1 of Cobra Kai and I really dig it.

As I'm going through season 2 I like how the show does a great job of showing that Daniel is also kind of a dick. Both him and Johnny have their issues and I feel like there could be a good balance between Johnny's Cobra Kai and Daniel's Miyagi-do style. The two don't have to be at odds if Johnny and Daniel can get their heads outta their asses.

But is it better than Warrior?
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

eddieson wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:42 pm
Digital Masta wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:06 am I just finished season 1 of Cobra Kai and I really dig it.

I don't know what that is but having looked it up they are entirely different TV shows.
eddieson

Post by eddieson »

Digital Masta wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:29 pm
eddieson wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:42 pm

I don't know what that is but having looked it up they are entirely different TV shows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_wSj_1fWtY
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

killacross wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:47 am Ugh.. In the Frankfurt Germany Airport waiting to be covid tested.. And their system went offline

.. Raggedy ass shit Germany... That's why you lost the war

USA USA!

I kid... But already ran into obnoxious Americans... Less than 10 mins after arrival
How is the airport experience during this COVID19 time. Do you have to quarantine when entering a foreign country?