There we go

killacross

Re: There we go

Post by killacross »

That's a weird way to announce you are a homosexual
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Reminder that today is tax day for anyone in America that hasn't already done them.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Hope everyone is doing well.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

It has since been removed but wow...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12142926/ ... alues/amp/
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

It's amazing how it hits the nail on the head by correctly identifying characteristics and misses every context at the same time. It literally references the protestant influences but as a characteristic of 'whiteness' instead of an American zeitgeist.

I get what they're trying to do, but this just feels like a stupendously dense way to do it. Worst part is that this was probably signed off by someone in a high enough position that should have known better. If they really wanted to have a conversation about 'white privilege' maybe just reference and compare the things that generate that privilege instead of spitting out crap like "they work hard before playing and have a nuclear family."

Plot twist: it's actually just white propaganda they tried to pass off as some educational opportunity.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Digital Masta wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:16 pm It has since been removed but wow...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12142926/ ... alues/amp/
Ppl lost their minds lol

Edit

Have you heard of this young Conservative brother Coleman Hugues? Smart dude.

https://youtu.be/oeMYQe8OjlA
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

xandorxerxes wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:52 pm It's amazing how it hits the nail on the head by correctly identifying characteristics and misses every context at the same time. It literally references the protestant influences but as a characteristic of 'whiteness' instead of an American zeitgeist.

I get what they're trying to do, but this just feels like a stupendously dense way to do it. Worst part is that this was probably signed off by someone in a high enough position that should have known better. If they really wanted to have a conversation about 'white privilege' maybe just reference and compare the things that generate that privilege instead of spitting out crap like "they work hard before playing and have a nuclear family."

Plot twist: it's actually just white propaganda they tried to pass off as some educational opportunity.
Hitting of what nail on what head? Please...tell me how this deserves any merit whatsoever? It's complete racist (towards black people mostly) drivel.

White privilege is a load of crap...as is white guilt. It's a club that white liberals use to simultaneously show how much better they are than other whites who don't acknowledge their guilt or privilege and show how much more superior white people are to black people because they think black people are so inferior to that we couldn't possibly do any better without them. It is used to infantilize blacks to the point where we have no agency of our own.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Digital Masta wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:19 pm
xandorxerxes wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:52 pm It's amazing how it hits the nail on the head by correctly identifying characteristics and misses every context at the same time. It literally references the protestant influences but as a characteristic of 'whiteness' instead of an American zeitgeist.

Hitting of what nail on what head? Please...tell me how this deserves any merit whatsoever? It's complete racist (towards black people mostly) drivel.

White privilege is a load of crap...as is white guilt. It's a club that white liberals use to simultaneously show how much better they are than other whites who don't acknowledge their guilt or privilege and show how much more superior white people are to black people because they think black people are so inferior to that we couldn't possibly do any better without them. It is used to infantilize blacks to the point where we have no agency of our own.
Probably poor diction, but I used hit the nail on the head in that they accurately depict general American culture (in the parts that I read, at least - didn't go through the whole thing). It's not like they're just making a bunch of factoids up, then just turn around and ascribe them to 'whiteness' instead of just our culture.

I don't know what the definition of 'white privilege' you're using is, but I would argue it exists if you make the definition 'inherent advantages of any degree due to bias.' If there's some other sociological factor in the current definition then I obviously have no idea if that exists or not. I do *feel* like what data points have been observed have been extrapolated to extreme ends lately, and likely incorrectly. I just haven't actually done any real research there.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Good times:
Officials in Texas and Arizona have requested refrigerated trucks to hold the dead as hospitals and morgues become overwhelmed by victims of the raging COVID-19 pandemic.

“In the hospital, there are only so many places to put bodies,” Ken Davis, chief medical officer of Christus Santa Rosa Health System in the San Antonio area, said in a briefing this week. “We're out of space, and our funeral homes are out of space, and we need those beds. So, when someone dies, we need to quickly turn that bed over.

“It’s a hard thing to talk about,” Davis added. “People's loved ones are dying."
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

^^ Does that mean more open positions and work opportunities in the States for me?
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

San Goku wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:04 am ^^ Does that mean more open positions and work opportunities in the States for me?
Yep, come on down. It's an especially good time to be a refrigerator truck driver if that's been your secret dream job all these years.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

As much as I dislike Trump, his stance on China is a sorely-needed one. Obama was very weak on foreign policy and it really bit us in the ass. While the trade wars have been bad news for Americans much more than the Chinese, closing consulates is a good step in the right direction. Punishing Huawei is another. Glad to see we're finally doing something, even if the cat's mostly out of the bag (not Trump's fault).
killacross

Post by killacross »

Speaking of Gina... Serious question. In countries where eating with chopsticks is the norm... How old do you think kids are before they learn proficiency... And what do they do before then? I'd assume spoons/forks/sporks until they can be shamed into something traditional
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

They have trainer chopsticks for children.

Until they gain the fine motor skills to use them properly they use these, forks and spoons.

I teach at an all English kindergarten and I am responsible for the youngest kids that are 3-4. A couple of them can use regular chopsticks but most can't. And even those that can still bring a fork and spoon with them.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

I should teach my boy how to use chop sticks.
killacross wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:11 pm Speaking of Gina... Serious question. In countries where eating with chopsticks is the norm... How old do you think kids are before they learn proficiency... And what do they do before then? I'd assume spoons/forks/sporks until they can be shamed into something traditional
Lmfao @ Gina. I laugh my ass off when Trump says it. I'm like why is he saying it like that lol.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Bevelyn Beatty is my hero lol
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/07 ... cine-race/

Article on COVID vaccines being done. It's not a quick read, but it's a good one.
killacross

Post by killacross »

As someone who works in pharma...Looking at the list of other companies working on this...there are at least 15 others that aren't mentioned - I'm "involved" with 6-7 of them. I misunderstood though, this was vaccines and not treatments.

I wish I could go into specifics...but under a metric fuck-ton of NDAs. I actually have access to a lot of the data of 2/4 of those in the article. The "best" one is Moderna because of the way their company works/is designed. But they are so small that they could not possibly scale up for a global pandemic. Moderna does EVERYTHING around mRNA (messenger DNA)...ALL of their treatments are specifically designed for an individual. Their stuff is CRAZY effective...but also CRAZY expensive...and CRAZY slow to produce/manufacture. But in theory, if you have Down's Syndrome or Werewolf Man Syndrome or Albinoism -- for the right price, they could come up with a cure for you and specifically you only.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

She mentions at the end that there are other vaccine makers too, they're just either not as far along or the research isn't published on them. I think it's also that these 4 are entering phase 3.

If you're interested in the more technical write-ups, Derek Lowe (https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/) has them on the non-Moderna ones:

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/a ... nd-t-cells (Pfizer)
https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/a ... az-vaccine (Oxford)
https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/a ... no-vaccine (CanSino)
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

FDA's list of hand sanitizers to not use has grown to 87. Here's the list:

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-a ... s-methanol

Methanol = bad
Ethanol = OK

Don't do meth kids, mmkay? /SP