There we go

killacross

Re: There we go

Post by killacross »

I've decided -- I need to make a change. I have 90 days until I am vested (~$25k waiting for me)...then I am going to either change departments or change companies or just change careers and get out of pharma altogether. Just sick of deadlines, pushing papers, and every decision/mistake costing $30MM potentially.

...I am upset about ANOTHER pay cut in my career (if I change industries)...but by all intents and purposes, I'm rich. Money isn't the driver anymore...buuuuuut. The work itself is easy but frustrating (I have to work my testing around a 24/7 production schedule) -- but our management is just atrocious. I have become disgruntled and have started vocally burning bridges (I'm falling into my same old pattern of I am a top performer - so they are using me as a fixer. They assign ___ to person #1...he struggles and fucks it up and misses the due date...so I get called in to clean it up). But it's another first for me. I genuinely like 9/10 coworkers. The job is easy enough for the money (easiest role and pays the most [salaried] I've had actually). But the company and the management. UGH!

We have biweekly 1:1 conversations with our direct manager...and bi-monthly meetings where my boss' boss sits in. They asked how I feel. I told them both that management here provides poor leadership, lacks vision and direction, is actually worse than useless; at least if they were useless -- they would just sit quietly in a corner and listen in. Instead they (meaning those two in the room) force themselves into projects and meetings and conversations and actively make things more difficult and more challenging. If you do not know the answer to the question -- I would prefer for you to either defer to me as I am the person assigned to know the fine details about the project or give a non-answer and promise to follow up. Instead, they try to come up with BS on the fly -- and all it does is create confusion. THEN when I was originally right, they don't come to the next meeting to say so -- instead, I have to go back to the client and clarify -- then the client argues "That's not what your boss said" -- EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

They asked me for examples -- I rattled off like 15 in rapid, chronological succession. I must say, they both have EXCELLENT poker faces, they didn't react.

But honestly...if the project is ALREADY so stressful and ALREADY has so many roadblocks and hurdles and ALREADY has an aggressive timeline. ALREADY -- why do THEY ADD MORE?

The answer that my boss' boss gave was essentially...I'm the boss so you HAVE to do what I say. I told him that's idiotic - so good luck with that.

Anyway -- they "said" they appreciated my candor...but, obviously, I don't buy it. They won't fire me because I perform (and when due dates are critical...and if this machine is running -- it's making $50k/hr...it would be costly)...but I know that I am hurting future promotions/opportunities for growth because I am not playing politics.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

killacross wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:03 am Anyway -- they "said" they appreciated my candor...but, obviously, I don't buy it. They won't fire me because I perform (and when due dates are critical...and if this machine is running -- it's making $50k/hr...it would be costly)...but I know that I am hurting future promotions/opportunities for growth because I am not playing politics.
What do you want in the end? To be a technical SME or a management person?

Either way I'd polish up the resume and bail, just have a few coworkers for references since your bosses will probably just sabotage you. If you're not looking to move into management you don't need to worry about promotions/politics so much, just finding a place that both recognizes your talent (this place seems to) and actually rewards it (not so much here).
ames

Post by ames »

killacross wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:03 am

But honestly...if the project is ALREADY so stressful and ALREADY has so many roadblocks and hurdles and ALREADY has an aggressive timeline. ALREADY -- why do THEY ADD MORE?

cuz it makes it more challenging! life can't just be stress it has to be stress on steroids! im sorry you are feeling this way. I think you need some relaxation time...it doesn't hurt to look for a change of place too.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

killacross wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:03 am I've decided -- I need to make a change. I have 90 days until I am vested (~$25k waiting for me)...then I am going to either change departments or change companies or just change careers and get out of pharma altogether. Just sick of deadlines, pushing papers, and every decision/mistake costing $30MM potentially.

...I am upset about ANOTHER pay cut in my career (if I change industries)...but by all intents and purposes, I'm rich. Money isn't the driver anymore...buuuuuut. The work itself is easy but frustrating (I have to work my testing around a 24/7 production schedule) -- but our management is just atrocious. I have become disgruntled and have started vocally burning bridges (I'm falling into my same old pattern of I am a top performer - so they are using me as a fixer. They assign ___ to person #1...he struggles and fucks it up and misses the due date...so I get called in to clean it up). But it's another first for me. I genuinely like 9/10 coworkers. The job is easy enough for the money (easiest role and pays the most [salaried] I've had actually). But the company and the management. UGH!

We have biweekly 1:1 conversations with our direct manager...and bi-monthly meetings where my boss' boss sits in. They asked how I feel. I told them both that management here provides poor leadership, lacks vision and direction, is actually worse than useless; at least if they were useless -- they would just sit quietly in a corner and listen in. Instead they (meaning those two in the room) force themselves into projects and meetings and conversations and actively make things more difficult and more challenging. If you do not know the answer to the question -- I would prefer for you to either defer to me as I am the person assigned to know the fine details about the project or give a non-answer and promise to follow up. Instead, they try to come up with BS on the fly -- and all it does is create confusion. THEN when I was originally right, they don't come to the next meeting to say so -- instead, I have to go back to the client and clarify -- then the client argues "That's not what your boss said" -- EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

They asked me for examples -- I rattled off like 15 in rapid, chronological succession. I must say, they both have EXCELLENT poker faces, they didn't react.

The answer that my boss' boss gave was essentially...I'm the boss so you HAVE to do what I say. I told him that's idiotic - so good luck with that.

Anyway -- they "said" they appreciated my candor...but, obviously, I don't buy it. They won't fire me because I perform (and when due dates are critical...and if this machine is running -- it's making $50k/hr...it would be costly)...but I know that I am hurting future promotions/opportunities for growth because I am not playing politics.

As I've said many times before start your own thing. Not necessarily in that industry but in your YEARS of experience you've definitely developed a skill that people want and would pay you for. Maybe it's an info product or maybe it's some form of consulting or something. There are also people out there who have courses on developing what that thing you have is so you can monetize it. Why keep depending on others for your salary? Especially at your level, you can definitely do something on your own.
killacross

Post by killacross »

Digital Masta wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:58 pm As I've said many times before start your own thing. Not necessarily in that industry but in your YEARS of experience you've definitely developed a skill that people want and would pay you for. Maybe it's an info product or maybe it's some form of consulting or something. There are also people out there who have courses on developing what that thing you have is so you can monetize it. Why keep depending on others for your salary? Especially at your level, you can definitely do something on your own.
That's my fallback plan. Our lifestyle and coupled with our income (essentially, we have 0 debt but make $200k per year while living easily/comfortably off of <$25k) -- my wife and I are trying to FIRE (Financially Independent, Retire Early). We were on track to be millionaires by 34....then we had a baby (so lost income from maternity leave + started a trust fund)...so 36....then COVID hit the stock markets.

Honestly...the way things are trending, we will probably hit it by 36...and almost definitely by 37. But we still plan to have 1 more. Either way. I want to get $1.4MM and then retire (I think we can hit that by 40 - which has always been our target retirement age). That is when I am going to branch out and do my own thing. When money isn't a factor -- I can undercut quite a few people just because I am doing it out of boredom vs necessity. I can also tell quite a few companies to eat a big 'ol bag. And even then, I could do just about anything as long as it at least breaks even.

...THAT's what I'm eventually ooking for...picking up a SINGLE 3-4 month project per year to have some cash flow...just because...and relaxing the rest of the year. In the meantime, I am just gonna do what I want to do....it has worked out well for me so far. And because I have money in the bank...and paid off EVERYTHING...I dont really have fears of being fired. We live on less than 25% of our take home pay. If I get fired -- my wife still works and comfortably pays our bills...and we STILL invest the rest. If she gets fired...I still work and comfortably pay the bills and STILL invest the difference. We still build wealth...just slower. If we both get fired...well, we go into lock down and start to hustle to get a job. But with money in the bank and 0 debt -- we don't have to jump at the first bullshit position that is offered.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

killacross wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:35 pm
Digital Masta wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:58 pm As I've said many times before start your own thing. Not necessarily in that industry but in your YEARS of experience you've definitely developed a skill that people want and would pay you for. Maybe it's an info product or maybe it's some form of consulting or something. There are also people out there who have courses on developing what that thing you have is so you can monetize it. Why keep depending on others for your salary? Especially at your level, you can definitely do something on your own.
That's my fallback plan. Our lifestyle and coupled with our income (essentially, we have 0 debt but make $200k per year while living easily/comfortably off of <$25k) -- my wife and I are trying to FIRE (Financially Independent, Retire Early). We were on track to be millionaires by 34....then we had a baby (so lost income from maternity leave + started a trust fund)...so 36....then COVID hit the stock markets.

Honestly...the way things are trending, we will probably hit it by 36...and almost definitely by 37. But we still plan to have 1 more. Either way. I want to get $1.4MM and then retire (I think we can hit that by 40 - which has always been our target retirement age). That is when I am going to branch out and do my own thing. When money isn't a factor -- I can undercut quite a few people just because I am doing it out of boredom vs necessity. I can also tell quite a few companies to eat a big 'ol bag. And even then, I could do just about anything as long as it at least breaks even.

...THAT's what I'm eventually ooking for...picking up a SINGLE 3-4 month project per year to have some cash flow...just because...and relaxing the rest of the year. In the meantime, I am just gonna do what I want to do....it has worked out well for me so far. And because I have money in the bank...and paid off EVERYTHING...I dont really have fears of being fired. We live on less than 25% of our take home pay. If I get fired -- my wife still works and comfortably pays our bills...and we STILL invest the rest. If she gets fired...I still work and comfortably pay the bills and STILL invest the difference. We still build wealth...just slower. If we both get fired...well, we go into lock down and start to hustle to get a job. But with money in the bank and 0 debt -- we don't have to jump at the first bullshit position that is offered.
Taxes are a pain in the ass, but otherwise I liked working for myself. I just don't like having to network and self-promote, so it was pretty self-defeating. Ended up changing careers anyways. You might have issues networking if you're only available 3-4mo/yr, but I'm just spitballing that since I have no experience there.

If you're able to live on <=$24,000 you can retire at $1,200,000 - just invest in dividend funds. 3% return should be doable, and I took a decent chunk out for taxes (33%), which is a rate you likely won't hit due to a reduced income. $1,400,000 million at the same net rate (2%) will give you a few extra K ($28,000) to help account for kids expenses. The real problem will be education expenses - shit's expensive. NC average is ~9K/yr for private school.

Edit: I'm not trying to discourage you from starting your own business - just want to give you a heads up on a challenge you might run into for you to account for it ahead of time.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

Not if they home school.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Digital Masta wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:54 am Not if they home school.
That's not retiring and would pretty much preclude him from working at all, but yes it's an option. That also seems a bit counterintuitive - the argument that homeschooling is better than public schooling is one thing, but as someone who is entirely about economic markets I'm a little surprised you're choosing homeschooling over private schooling as well. In theory a private school has the best educators, so the odds that any one person makes a better teacher than specialized, selected teachers (by market forces) in a given area would be extremely slim.
eddieson

Post by eddieson »

So anybody get into any entanglements lately?
superbob
Site Admin

Post by superbob »

Had a COVID test yesterday, found out this morning that I'm a negative. Didn't really have any symptoms but my Dr. wanted to be careful
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

xandorxerxes wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:38 pm
Digital Masta wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:54 am Not if they home school.
That's not retiring and would pretty much preclude him from working at all, but yes it's an option.
What does retiring have to do with educating your child? Why would you see that task as "not retiring"? It's his child, not a client. He mentioned that retiring would also mean he does some other kinda of work where he takes on a 3-4 month contract. Home schooling doesn't mean you sit your child in the kitchen for 8 hours a day and drill them in various subjects. There are many ways to do it that include tutors, online education, joining a small group of other parents that organize a home schooling environment for their children, or the parents doing the big bulk of the work.
but as someone who is entirely about economic markets I'm a little surprised you're choosing homeschooling over private schooling as well...]
I'm not sure what you mean by this? I'm a advocate of homeschooling for moral and ethical reasons mainly. While private school is a better option that public school, unfortunately private school isn't free from the religion of wokeness either as it (wokeness) has set it's sights on all forms of education.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Digital Masta wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:39 pm
What does retiring have to do with educating your child? Why would you see that task as "not retiring"? It's his child, not a client. He mentioned that retiring would also mean he does some other kinda of work where he takes on a 3-4 month contract. Home schooling doesn't mean you sit your child in the kitchen for 8 hours a day and drill them in various subjects. There are many ways to do it that include tutors, online education, joining a small group of other parents that organize a home schooling environment for their children, or the parents doing the big bulk of the work.
It's more that it's a job in and of itself. He has to learn the material, study the material, develop a lesson plan, etc. You also have to really like your kid, but I'm half joking there. It's just incredibly time consuming.
I'm not sure what you mean by this? I'm a advocate of homeschooling for moral and ethical reasons mainly. While private school is a better option that public school, unfortunately private school isn't free from the religion of wokeness either as it (wokeness) has set it's sights on all forms of education.
Sounds like starting an anti-wokeness school could be a profitable opportunity... /s

More just that the theory from absolute capitalism is that there's generally always a free market solution to meet your needs in established institutions, though I suppose there's a barrier of entry to create higher quality general private school so that would inhibit the ability to fully match to a particular school.

I also realized later that I completely neglected to take into account what you're looking to get from schooling, so that's my bad. I approached it as "getting the best education possible" but I'm also terribly indifferent to whatever constitutes wokeness so that wasn't a factor to me. Essentially I assumed we were looking for the exact same criteria, which is a fundamentally flawed way to approach any comparison. Whoopsie.
killacross

Post by killacross »

I wouldn't home school... Tho I see the benefit in learning boys are always boys and girls are always girls.. You don't get to change your DNA.

I just think that I would send my kid to a decent or high scoring public school to learn how to read, write, and do math... And manage the moral and social aspect by having more and more open conversations as she grows and questions and understands (especially to prepare her for college where she will learn that as an afro Latina - black, Hispanic, AND female - she's oppressed by the evils of America )
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

killacross wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:20 pm I wouldn't home school... Tho I see the benefit in learning boys are always boys and girls are always girls.. You don't get to change your DNA.

I just think that I would send my kid to a decent or high scoring public school to learn how to read, write, and do math... And manage the moral and social aspect by having more and more open conversations as she grows and questions and understands (especially to prepare her for college where she will learn that as an afro Latina - black, Hispanic, AND female - she's oppressed by the evils of America )
It's ok, if she doesn't vote Biden she isn't black so she'll only be oppressed by evil America for being Hispanic and female.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

killacross wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:20 pm I wouldn't home school... Tho I see the benefit in learning boys are always boys and girls are always girls.. You don't get to change your DNA.

Just make sure you are vigilante in regards it in regards to what she is learning in class and what her homework is and all that. Because next thing you know she'll be researching anal sex for her health class. Extreme example but shit is getting crazy.
killacross

Post by killacross »

What's wrong with anal? Besides...I used to think my daughter would be a dentist....but this little boy has been following her around daycare. He's in EVERY picture.

We've talked...and I've decided my daughter will be a nun.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

killacross wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:36 pm What's wrong with anal? Besides...I used to think my daughter would be a dentist....but this little boy has been following her around daycare. He's in EVERY picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qIrz-itams

Hadn't thought about that movie in years, then your comment comes along...
eddieson

Post by eddieson »

xandorxerxes wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:56 pm
killacross wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:36 pm What's wrong with anal? Besides...I used to think my daughter would be a dentist....but this little boy has been following her around daycare. He's in EVERY picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qIrz-itams

Hadn't thought about that movie in years, then your comment comes along...
And yours reminded me of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_kx6ai_bNo
killacross

Post by killacross »

Well damn.. Grant Imahara (Asian dude from Mythbusters) dead at 49

..this hits me a lot harder than them finding the body of Naya Rivera

.. And all I'm seeing is that nun is the right choice.. Gotta get her enrolled in a private ninja academy
eddieson

Post by eddieson »

I don't know I mean they did end up finding her body on the same day her castmate died.

Also that show was fairly good until the season ended.