Food

San Goku

Re: Food

Post by San Goku »

Time to get hungry again.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Bought some waffles this morning. I went to 2 restaurants. The one I wanted to go to wasn't open yet and I didn't want to wait. With the second restaurant I noticed that their waffles is a lot heavier where as the other restaurant is a lot lighter. The wife bought a waffle maker and hers are heavy as well. Would love to know how they make it light and be able to do it as well.
eddieson

Post by eddieson »

San Goku wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 3:53 pm Bought some waffles this morning. I went to 2 restaurants. The one I wanted to go to wasn't open yet and I didn't want to wait. With the second restaurant I noticed that their waffles is a lot heavier where as the other restaurant is a lot lighter. The wife bought a waffle maker and hers are heavy as well. Would love to know how they make it light and be able to do it as well.
Mix your dry ingredients. Then Mix your wet ingredients, minus the egg whites, and combine all until just blended. Be careful not to over mix the batter. Whip your egg whites to a hard peak and then fold them in until they are just blended in.
killacross

Post by killacross »

You Google "fluffy waffles".. Then follow the instructions
Cooking.. And especially baking is all chemistry
eddieson

Post by eddieson »

^ Yeah baking is less forgiving then cooking.
killacross

Post by killacross »

The issue with cooking is that people do it at temperatures that are waaaay too high. It is exciting to get that SIZZLE when you put meat on a grill or skillet.

But really, if you cook your food at the low to simmer setting - it makes it exponentially easier!...except for pasta and rice, because you do need a rolling boil. Cook it low and slow and then finish it off in a separate, hot skillet.... mouthwatering results!
eddieson

Post by eddieson »

Low and slow is good for certain things while high heat is good for others. A thin burger or meat that is going to be braised go high heat to quickly get a crust on it before it dries out or fully cooks. Bacon or duck breast start off in a cold pan to render the fat out.

Pasta doesn't have to be cooked at a rolling boil. And rice should be quickly brought to a boil and then reduced to a simmer before letting it steam.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

I really want to broaden my cooking horizon. I'm just too lazy or busy to invest the time. :(
killacross

Post by killacross »

...but dont you eat food? like every day?
eddieson

Post by eddieson »

Learning to cook is fast and easy though.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

San Goku wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:54 pm I really want to broaden my cooking horizon. I'm just too lazy or busy to invest the time. :(
I'm with you on that one. Spending another hour+ when I get off work cooking just isn't worth it to me.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

It doesn't take an hour plus to cook. Or rather it doesn't have to.
eddieson

Post by eddieson »

xandorxerxes wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:18 pm I'm with you on that one. Spending another hour+ when I get off work cooking just isn't worth it to me.
A slow cooker can solve that for you since it'll cook the food while you're at work. I know people that put the food in the slow cooker before going to bed and then take it out and put it in the fridge before going to work in the morning.
killacross

Post by killacross »

/sous vide

but honestly...a solid 20-30 minutes and you can have delicious meal

...as far as cleaning dishes...that's something different entirely
eddieson

Post by eddieson »

^ sous vide machines can take a while to cook things, and are expensive investments if you also go for a vacuum sealer. Now a pressure cooker would work good for XX as it would cook what would normally take hours in like a hour or less.
killacross

Post by killacross »

I keep seeing random Tiktok recipes that I want to try out

...The last one I did was a cabbage soup. I made it yesterday and it is fucking fabulous!!
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

I want to be able to cook some of my traditional Jamaican recipes that my mom makes. Perhaps when I move into a new place.

At work I hope to different restaurants every week. Currently trying some nice Vietnamese restaurants.
killacross

Post by killacross »

We don't really have restaurants like that where I live/work

Hopefully, the change of job changes that

Unrelated.. I wanna try my hands at flour tortillas and chicken quesidillas next

**update **
The tortillas came out Fing disgusting
.. The filler was terrific!!

Will try again
killacross

Post by killacross »

Lately have been into making soups and stews

Got a nice, quality pressure cooker... And Jesús Christ it was a game changer

Dice up all my veggies. Cut my meat into chunks. Start a teapot of water. Crisp my onions and garlic. Can make an entire soup from start to finish in 35-40 mins... When before it was probably closer to 4-5 hrs