Good Coronavirus / COVID-19 Article

Holy Cowboy

Re: Good Coronavirus / COVID-19 Article

Post by Holy Cowboy »

Fox News. Love it or hate it don't care. New rapid test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbiCwYhZnGo
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Yep. We're finally catching up to other countries. South Korea has had rapid testing for over a month.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandso ... t-and-free
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Holy Cowboy wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:43 am Fox News. Love it or hate it don't care. New rapid test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbiCwYhZnGo
Nice, a Canadian company made something similar. I forgot the name.

Edit

Spartan Bioscience is the name.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

We're officially so dumb Facebook has to tell us.

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/16/83557953 ... t-you-know
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Came across another potential issue today - hospitals are still slammed. If the virus outbreaks again thanks to these protests/opening early, not only will they be overwhelmed, but we're approaching the time that med students/residents/fellows rotate in June-July. Essentially people who have been treating COVID all this time will be moving to new jobs/roles, and people who have never treated COVID will become the new front line responders.
Holy Cowboy

Post by Holy Cowboy »

Old ones may be able to be instruct via the 'home computer' method. What is a list of all those degrees that were essentially 'take a student loan and wind up with only debt' like I hear 'Gender Studies' ?
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Holy Cowboy wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:45 pm Old ones may be able to be instruct via the 'home computer' method. What is a list of all those degrees that were essentially 'take a student loan and wind up with only debt' like I hear 'Gender Studies' ?
Unfortunately they'll be doing other things. Residents are the primary front-liners and they'll usually specialize in fellowship. Your general med resident might be an ENT fellow... assuming they even stay at the same hospital. A lot of them change hospitals each time.

What's even worse is that we have more med school slots than residency slots, so there are doctors that probably could help but didn't get matched into residency and thus are sidelined.
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

So I’m pretty sure I’m just about free of this thing, but I gotta say, this shit really does suck. My symptoms never got so bad that I was scared or anything, but it really felt like I was breathing through a straw at some points and that was horrible. I can’t imagine how someone with severe symptoms must feel, this shit is not to be taken lightly.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Colep924 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:54 pm So I’m pretty sure I’m just about free of this thing, but I gotta say, this shit really does suck. My symptoms never got so bad that I was scared or anything, but it really felt like I was breathing through a straw at some points and that was horrible. I can’t imagine how someone with severe symptoms must feel, this shit is not to be taken lightly.
Really glad you're feeling better!
Holy Cowboy

Post by Holy Cowboy »

When you get fully get through it, have you given thought to getting tested for antibodies? If you got them, might be able to work out a $$$ deal with hospital for 'em.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Holy Cowboy wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:46 pm When you get fully get through it, have you given thought to getting tested for antibodies? If you got them, might be able to work out a $$$ deal with hospital for 'em.
That's what I'm saying don't volunteer that shit, you should get paid. No different than a pharmaceutical company.
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

Thanks a lot man @xandor. I actually got a call from my doctors office today about setting up a test somewhere.
Holy Cowboy

Post by Holy Cowboy »

If it is an antibody test and you have them, you first need to find out if you have any medical debts, etc. Take away anything that could be negotiable in their favor. If you do have debts, they may be more than willing to 'make them go away' if you are willing to share antibodies.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Holy Cowboy wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:55 am If it is an antibody test and you have them, you first need to find out if you have any medical debts, etc. Take away anything that could be negotiable in their favor. If you do have debts, they may be more than willing to 'make them go away' if you are willing to share antibodies.
yup, after all we're in this together is how the saying goes.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

You can try, but there are lots of people with antibodies and there are no treatments involving them yet. They're still testing to see how effective they are. Assuming you want to negotiate with them, you have the upper hand - just don't push them too far and make them walk away. Given that hospitals are bleeding money at the moment and how vicious they can be, they may not listen to you.

You don't have to charge them either, if you don't want to. I won't blame you either way.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

xandorxerxes wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:07 pm You can try, but there are lots of people with antibodies and there are no treatments involving them yet. They're still testing to see how effective they are. Assuming you want to negotiate with them, you have the upper hand - just don't push them too far and make them walk away. Given that hospitals are bleeding money at the moment and how vicious they can be, they may not listen to you.

You don't have to charge them either, if you don't want to. I won't blame you either way.
If you have no medical bills or struggling it would be a good idea to volunteer as well.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Apparently our first Corona-related deaths are actually in early February, way before we originally detected it.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Fun new milestone - even with all of the quarantine measures in effect, we've passed the flu in deaths.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlieport ... a-century/

Hopefully May won't be as bad as April, but who knows.
superbob
Site Admin

Post by superbob »

I don't doubt that if you went back a bit further than early february, you would see that there were earlier covid deaths. There's no way that just shutting down travel in early february would have been effective to slow or stop the spread.
ames

Post by ames »

yes my biggest fear too...and then before you know it, flu season is here. :( Stay safe everyone.
xandorxerxes wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:38 pm Came across another potential issue today - hospitals are still slammed. If the virus outbreaks again thanks to these protests/opening early, not only will they be overwhelmed, but we're approaching the time that med students/residents/fellows rotate in June-July. Essentially people who have been treating COVID all this time will be moving to new jobs/roles, and people who have never treated COVID will become the new front line responders.