Good Coronavirus / COVID-19 Article

Holy Cowboy

Re: Good Coronavirus / COVID-19 Article

Post by Holy Cowboy »

xandorxerxes wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:07 pm I'm not seeing those trending anywhere. Can you send me a link?

It looks like they voted the package down because it gave the Treasury department sole oversight over who the money goes to bailout corporations without any limits (unlike the TARP in 2008, which did have limits). There were provisions in the bill over the weekend that Democrats had agreed on that were taken out. The small business bill is apparently separate and might still pass.

Also not sure why Pelosi would trend on a failed Senate resolution?

Edit: Grammar
Them not trending is the entire point. If you check most of the MSM they are gonna comment on what republicans had in it while being silent on what Pelosi and dems wanted. A somewhat list of some of it that I had found while trying to scrounge around..

Publication of corporate pay statistics by race and race statistics for all corporate boards.
-A bailout on ALL current debt at the postal service.
-Required early voting.
-Required same day voter registration.
-Provisions on official time for union collective bargaining.
-Full offset of airline emissions by 2025.
-Publication and reporting of greenhouse statistics for individual flights.
-Retirement plans for community newspaper employees.
-Federal $15 minimum wage.
-Permanent paid leave.
-#PlannedParenthood #Abortion funding.
-Solar and Wind tax credits.

if you dig through some of twitter postings enough, it seems there are other provisions that may be questionable.

-edit with another list of a few things. copy and pasted so I am sorry for redundance-

--Early voting (which Dems think will help their election chances)
--New strict airline emission standards
--Solar panel credits
--Student Loan forgiveness
--Companies applying for relief must account for racial make-up of their boards
-- Force federal agencies to explain to Congress how they are increasing their usage of "minority banks"
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

I'll send you a PM - I think my response would be too tangential to corona.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

Holy Cowboy wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:54 am
--Companies applying for relief must account for racial make-up of their boards
Ah yes, stupid government bullshit.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

I guess I should have put a tl;dr… the bill doesn't have a number, it won't be voted on. Pelosi was a part of the Senate bill discussions. It was never intended to pass. Government bullshit, but not the kind you mentioned. It's a dumb as hell PR/optics move. Most all of the ones he mentioned are in there, but they don't actually have to 'account' for diversity, just report on their demographics. Or they would, if it was a serious bill. Which it's not.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

https://www.wsj.com/articles/government ... 1585393202

Government using Coronavirus as an excuse to track people. This is super helpful to the CDC, but 100% a god-awful idea to let this fly.
superbob
Site Admin

Post by superbob »

I'm worried about the situation that the world is going through now more than I was before. Mostly because I see how idiotic people are. I'm linking an article about something I've been expecting to happen in Colorado now because of all the ski resorts being closed.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2411094/b ... s-colorado

I really recommend reading it because it highlights not only the impacts of SARS-CoV 2 on how we're interacting with people right now, but also what happens to people that have to go to their doctor or the hospital for other reasons than COVID-19 and the risk that they're taking. Because of the impact on Colorado, with all the ski resorts being closed (I only got 6 days in this season before the resorts closed so I regret my ski pass purchase), a lot of people who shouldn't be backcountry skiing are in dangerous areas and zones and might have to be rescued because of it

And also what's happening in the US right now in relation to COVID-19, I'm super skeptical about the numbers we've seen from China.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

That was a good article, thanks for sharing it. Goes to show how easily 1 infected person could infect 50 others over something random like a skiing accident.

As far as China numbers go, we should definitely be skeptical - but also remember that China took more draconian measures. It's a lot easier to contain a pandemic when you round up anyone who could possibly be infected and throw them in a special jail. There was a joke about North Korea's daily COVID numbers, and it went back and forth between 1 and 0 every day.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Bit of a mea culpa on my part - I called Trump an idiot for putting in travel bans so late, saying they don't matter any more. That's only partly true - they don't matter any longer to stop the initial spread of infection, but they WILL matter to prevent infections from coming back to the US after we've started cleaning the virus up.

Trump's still an idiot for putting them in so late... but this time I'm also the idiot for a lack of insight in my response.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

xandorxerxes wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:41 pm Bit of a mea culpa on my part - I called Trump an idiot for putting in travel bans so late, saying they don't matter any more. That's only partly true - they don't matter any longer to stop the initial spread of infection, but they WILL matter to prevent infections from coming back to the US after we've started cleaning the virus up.

Trump's still an idiot for putting them in so late... but this time I'm also the idiot for a lack of insight in my response.
This is growth for you XX, I'll take this as a Trump complement *claps*
superbob
Site Admin

Post by superbob »

xandorxerxes wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:27 pm That was a good article, thanks for sharing it. Goes to show how easily 1 infected person could infect 50 others over something random like a skiing accident.

As far as China numbers go, we should definitely be skeptical - but also remember that China took more draconian measures. It's a lot easier to contain a pandemic when you round up anyone who could possibly be infected and throw them in a special jail. There was a joke about North Korea's daily COVID numbers, and it went back and forth between 1 and 0 every day.

even then, with how infectious this virus is and how many people are showing no symptoms at all (report from iceland saying that close to 50% are asymptomatic), i think all said and done, there's gonna be more of a drop in population than reported.

That being said, as someone who is quite paranoid about these kinds of things, i'm super glad I went to costco and got a new thing of TP back in mid January before the run on supplies from everyone
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Just gave some N95 mask to my mother and brought home some extra gloves.
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

My cousin tested positive but didn’t even know till it was basically over. She described it as a mild cold.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Colep924 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:25 am My cousin tested positive but didn’t even know till it was basically over. She described it as a mild cold.
I'm really glad for her this was the case - wish everyone else could say this too.
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

My area, Suffolk county on Long Island, is apparently being described as the epicenter of Covid-19 in the US.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

My aunt who is a nurse that works in Manhattan but lives in Long Island is sick. She was in the ambulance and went to the hospital but she got sent home now and given medication.
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

I’m positive for this fucking virus. So far haven’t felt a single symptom except maybe a stuffy nose. Though I’ve heard that’s not a symptom.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Colep924 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:16 pm I’m positive for this fucking virus. So far haven’t felt a single symptom except maybe a stuffy nose. Though I’ve heard that’s not a symptom.
That's exactly why it's so dangerous - you can be asymptomatic for weeks before it turns nasty. Stay safe, and stay absolutely quarantined. As you probably know you can still spread it without any symptoms. Call your doctor if your symptoms worsen, he or she can recommend going into the hospital or not (or call and ask under what conditions should you go to the hospital). If you don't have any other underlying conditions you may end up with a mild case too - as corny as it is, I'm wishing the best for you.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

As you guys know I'm a fan of Ars Technica. They have compiled a 'comprehensive guide to the Coronavirus'

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/04 ... ronavirus/

Lots of good info.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

https://srv1.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Up to date stats of every country in the world.
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

xandorxerxes wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:49 pm
Colep924 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:16 pm I’m positive for this fucking virus. So far haven’t felt a single symptom except maybe a stuffy nose. Though I’ve heard that’s not a symptom.
That's exactly why it's so dangerous - you can be asymptomatic for weeks before it turns nasty. Stay safe, and stay absolutely quarantined. As you probably know you can still spread it without any symptoms. Call your doctor if your symptoms worsen, he or she can recommend going into the hospital or not (or call and ask under what conditions should you go to the hospital). If you don't have any other underlying conditions you may end up with a mild case too - as corny as it is, I'm wishing the best for you.
I appreciate it man. In all honesty I haven’t really had any symptoms at all. Very minor cough and loss of smell but that’s it. I’m clear to go back to work Wednesday.