There we go

Digital Masta

Re: There we go

Post by Digital Masta »

My buddy is still planning on having is wedding on April 5th. It isn't a huge one but because his parents have to come from the states things are already in motion that can't really be postponed unless they are told they can't leave.
killacross

Post by killacross »

pulled the trigger....put ~$75k into the market
...my cash reserves are down to ~$25k....but worst case scenario -- that could last us ~2 yrs.

Should be fine, but still terrifying. Wish I could put more into my daughter's acct...but hit our limit at the top of the year

this coronavirus thing is trash...we're all already infected. Dont you get it? WE are the walking dead..not them
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

With the new guidelines that came on Monday technically all my techs and myself should be self quarantine. One of my techs came back from Estonia and Poland on March 6 and another from the U.S. They weren't showing symptoms so they worked all of last week. Now with us trying to comply we said stay home for the week (should of been 14 days, kind of defeats the purpose). I reread the guidelines and realized I should as well because I was in contact with someone that left the country prior to March 16th *facepalms*
killacross

Post by killacross »

... Dead man walking
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

This is the prelude to the walking dead. When it actually happens I won't be walking around with a gun it will be Lysol a Bible.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Giant shitshow up here. Mask shortages, doc shortages, people telling the wrong people to stay home instead of come to their appointments...

Meanwhile we can't even get tests for everyone with symptoms.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

I guess I have to ban pizza too? Italy passed China in death toll. Out of the confirmed cases you have a 10% chance of dying smh.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

killacross wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:34 am pulled the trigger....put ~$75k into the market
...my cash reserves are down to ~$25k....but worst case scenario -- that could last us ~2 yrs.

Should be fine, but still terrifying. Wish I could put more into my daughter's acct...but hit our limit at the top of the year

this coronavirus thing is trash...we're all already infected. Dont you get it? WE are the walking dead..not them
You ever think about investing in emerging markets aka non-US stocks?
killacross

Post by killacross »

Digital Masta wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:19 pm You ever think about investing in emerging markets aka non-US stocks?
I'm a big fan of JL Collins and the Stock series

...most of the heavy hitters in the US markets are already so heavily monetizing in international markets that I don't see the point. There was a time years and years ago where I tracked this stuff multiple times daily and researched and obsessed and tried my hand at "hypothetical" day trading.

It allowed me to see how our investing adviser was ripping us off and to get our money out of there!!...but for the amount of effort involved, it isn't worth it going forward. My time was better spent improving my skill set to get my income up.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

killacross wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:17 am
Digital Masta wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:19 pm You ever think about investing in emerging markets aka non-US stocks?
I'm a big fan of JL Collins and the Stock series

...most of the heavy hitters in the US markets are already so heavily monetizing in international markets that I don't see the point. There was a time years and years ago where I tracked this stuff multiple times daily and researched and obsessed and tried my hand at "hypothetical" day trading.

It allowed me to see how our investing adviser was ripping us off and to get our money out of there!!...but for the amount of effort involved, it isn't worth it going forward. My time was better spent improving my skill set to get my income up.
Vanguard has an ETF for it. I think mine is VWO, I'll check when I have access to my account (I don't use a cloud password manager).
killacross

Post by killacross »

I use the index fund (VTSAX) vs the ETF (VTI). Or are you talking VTIAX vs VXUS?

Waaaaay back when...when we first started investing -- I think vanguard funds needed a $3k initial investment and $10k for admiral shares
...ETFs had a smaller initial but a higher fee structure for something else

Everything has changed since then...I remember talking to Ms Thickums about it months ago (when we were setting up the acct for our daughter)...
If I was just starting...I would do the ETFs for the low initial cost until I had enough to convert to a traditional fund (because we are a buy and hold type household).
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

killacross wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:49 pm I use the index fund (VTSAX) vs the ETF (VTI). Or are you talking VTIAX vs VXUS?

Waaaaay back when...when we first started investing -- I think vanguard funds needed a $3k initial investment and $10k for admiral shares
...ETFs had a smaller initial but a higher fee structure for something else

Everything has changed since then...I remember talking to Ms Thickums about it months ago (when we were setting up the acct for our daughter)...
If I was just starting...I would do the ETFs for the low initial cost until I had enough to convert to a traditional fund (because we are a buy and hold type household).
I just go with whatever has the lower fees, really. Once they're in big enough funds you don't really see people consistently beating out markets. That said, anything around .5 and below I'll tolerate.

For emerging markets, it looks like I'm in...
RERGX - Europacific Growth
VEMIX - Emerging Markets
EEM - Emerging Markets

EEM is an ETF with a .68% ratio, RERGX is a fund with a .49% ratio, and VEMIX is .1%.

None of them have done particularly well... RERGX has done the best at just under 7% over the past 10 years. That's factoring in the dip this year though. The ETF started in 2015 and has been pretty volatile, but it's emerging markets and an ETF so I'd expect more volatility from it (compared to the index). Wanted something higher risk/higher return than just the index. Obviously not doing particularly well right now...
killacross

Post by killacross »

Unrelated to anything

...Read Bleach ch. 162

Such nostalgias
Rai Ryuzaki

Post by Rai Ryuzaki »

I haven't read Bleach since it ended. Man that was seems like ages ago.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Bill Gates on the next outbreak 5 yrs ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Af6b_wyiwI

Pretty good stuff
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

The Justice Department has quietly asked Congress for the ability to ask chief judges to detain people indefinitely without trial during emergencies — part of a push for new powers that comes as the coronavirus spreads through the United States.
Good times.
killacross

Post by killacross »

...I dont get it
the government [currently] in charge leans the way I do politically..there couldnt possibly be a problem with them having this much power

/s
superbob
Site Admin

Post by superbob »

Senator Rand Paul tests positive for Covid 19
Rai Ryuzaki

Post by Rai Ryuzaki »

No one is safe apparently.
Cane_The9lives

Post by Cane_The9lives »

My Governor just closed all non essential retail stores with the exception of liquor stores......PRIORITIES!!!