Good Coronavirus / COVID-19 Article

xandorxerxes

Good Coronavirus / COVID-19 Article

Post by xandorxerxes »

I generally eschew The Atlantic, but they'll occasionally drop an article that I feel is an example of really good journalism. They dropped one yesterday on Corona, so I thought I'd share - especially since the US markets seem to be out-of-their-mind scared of it at the moment. It's a little long.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... ne/607000/

Tl;dr - someone played Plague, Inc. and set the virus to super infective without many symptoms. Vaccines take time to create, manufacture, and distribute. Relatable to the flu in that it may become a recurring thing, spreads quickly, and people can be asymptomatic, except a lot deadlier (corona kills <2%, flu kills <0.1%).

Other interesting anecdote from the article - if you get sick after getting a flu vaccine, it's impossible that you got the flu from the vaccine but the vaccine can sometimes cause similar symptoms.

Relatedly-interesting anecdote NOT from the article - "the flu" isn't one thing a vaccine works against. "The flu" in any given year is a number of different types of the flu virus, the vaccine protects against the most common types. An "effective rate" of the vaccine is misleading - the vaccine is nearly perfect against the strains that it targets - but a lower effective rate just means that more vaccinated people caught a different strain (i.e. the vaccine was ineffective against 'the flu' overall).

I mention that because the article references multiple types of Coronoavirus, so I imagine it will be similar if the "corona=uncontainable" scenario plays out. That's just a guess of inference on my part, nothing substantial to back that up currently.
killacross

Re: Good Coronavirus / COVID-19 Article

Post by killacross »

Thought we've talked about this before when we talked about vaccines.

But the "good" news is that now that corona virus has killed some white people (and Americans too!)...and not just yellow people...there will be a vaccine/cure in a month (calling it now -- by 31MAR2020).
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

killacross wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:56 am Thought we've talked about this before when we talked about vaccines.

But the "good" news is that now that corona virus has killed some white people (and Americans too!)...and not just yellow people...there will be a vaccine/cure in a month (calling it now -- by 31MAR2020).
Lol, I'm surprised so much people died in Iran. I hear Italy has some cases now. Italians ain't trying to have that shit.

I believed we talked about vaccines briefly, you got triggered at me cause I think I said something about ppl not believing in vaccines is okay even though I take all my shots lol. Then I said I don't take the flu shot or something.

My wife cousin whose a cop in Brooklyn said Chinatown is EMPTY lol.

Ppl ain't trying to take any chances with that shit lol
killacross

Post by killacross »

That wasnt me. I say get the vaccines but I typically skip the flu shots. Last year was the first time because of the baby. Doctor told me -- I have a nice strong immune system, but hers is brand new. So get the damn shot.

Working in pharma, I said something about flu shots not being effective because of the way do statistical models and choose the predicted top 2-3 strains.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

I vaguely remembered having the conversation, so I added that part at the end as it might be relevant to Corona in the future and it was tangential to the part mentioned in the article.

Asymptomatic carriers mean that we're hosed in general though. Now that it's breaking out in Europe, there's no way that it's not coming here even if we've managed to so far contain it (which apparently the CDC thinks we haven't).
killacross

Post by killacross »

So typically I listen to the radio app at work. I generally listen to NPR one week...then Talk radio the next...then an audiobook or Youtube something the next 2 weeks It's a talk radio week. Today, Glenn Beck was making some outlandish claims about Gilead and their Coronavirus "vaccine" and why America is the bestest place in the whole world.

Being in the industry and being in the know...Gilead had this API that they were going to use for Ebola a few years back. It flared and flamed out. They had the stock pile and thought they could use it for Zika. It flared and flamed out. Now they are saying they may be able to use it for corona virus.

The funny part is that they sent it to this Chinese company to evaluate...and the Chinese company just flat out infringed on their patent. They are busy suing...but China is saying F-U. So Gilead is now trying to fast track this drug in the US to try to flood the US and EU markets. It has JUST started the human clinical trials.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

Last time I heard a married couple in my city got it and now basically all large events are being cancelled. Graduations are being cancelled all over the country (end of school year is in March here). You can't find hand sanitizer at any stores, but public buildings and what not have it.

EDIT: And effective next Monday Japan just cancelled the rest of the school year for all elementary, junior and high schools. This was like 3 hours ago they announced this. A bit extreme.

School year is over at the end of March here usually.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

^^ Stay safe DM you are a lot closer to China then all of us. I was just speaking to my friend who lives in Japan and he said this lady that went to Tokyo came back seriously ill. He told his boss if she comes back he's not going to work and his boss was okay with that. Also, on the news they said if anyone in a company has the Coronovirus then everyone in that building has to quarantine.

I hope the Olympics don't get cancelled but it looks like it might. Only WW1 and WW2 were the only times.

One of my employees came to the office and told us another employee just came back from China but apparently he self quarantine.
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

Apparently like 80 people by me are being tested for Coronavirus. I live in New York, Long Island to be specific.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

First US death, but other US cases that have popped up with no known originator. I was thinking markets were going to stop sliding on Friday, but...

Update: It's circulating that there are thousands of cases not being reported by the administration. Denial didn't work well for China, either.
Cane_The9lives

Post by Cane_The9lives »

We're all going to die.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

Or it mutates and turns us all into SUPER HUMANS!
Rai Ryuzaki

Post by Rai Ryuzaki »

Digital Masta wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:02 am Or it mutates and turns us all into SUPER HUMANS!
Reality is never that awesome.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Rai Ryuzaki wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:43 am
Digital Masta wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:02 am Or it mutates and turns us all into SUPER HUMANS!
Reality is never that awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq_RsNQjo7U

Family Guy / Adam West Uranium scene
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

At the cafe at work and just now told the cashier to give me another donut. Part of her hand touched it, I ain't with that Coronovirus shit lol. She said she totally understands and agrees with me.

I shouldn't be eating that crap anyway but I had a great workout last night playing ultimate.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

San Goku wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:13 pm At the cafe at work and just now told the cashier to give me another donut. Part of her hand touched it, I ain't with that Coronovirus shit lol. She said she totally understands and agrees with me.

I shouldn't be eating that crap anyway but I had a great workout last night playing ultimate.
I've been trying to figure out how to tell you that you're way overblowing it, except by all accounts you aren't and I'm just wrong.

Surprise! I'm the problem again!
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

So I have the flu right now smh. I usually go into work even when I'm sick unless I absolutely can't stand, I like to save my personal days.

I messaged by boss last night, didn't check the reply.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

San Goku wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:49 pm So I have the flu right now smh. I usually go into work even when I'm sick unless I absolutely can't stand, I like to save my personal days.

Just tell him your friends in the US said it's probably corona after your doughnut incident.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

xandorxerxes wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:17 pm
San Goku wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:49 pm So I have the flu right now smh. I usually go into work even when I'm sick unless I absolutely can't stand, I like to save my personal days.

Just tell him your friends in the US said it's probably corona after your doughnut incident.
At work now, surprisingly feel a lot better.
killacross

Post by killacross »

...oh shit! San gon die.