There we go

Cane_The9lives

Re: There we go

Post by Cane_The9lives »

Digital Masta wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:32 pm What is this "quality education" you speak of? You say these words...yet I do not see them anywhere in the United States. We now also know that math and reading scores plummeted during covid but they were already pretty trash. Government education is complete trash in America and we all know it, young people know even less than our generation, alternative education can't do any worse. In fact, isn't it pretty well known that homeschooled kids traditionally do better than government-schooled kids academically?
It really depends on the type of instruction and environment. Parents are still required to follow or adhere to as closely as possible state standards (or local where applicable, unless otherwise exempted) that govern these types of alternative education practices. Homeschooling can be very expensive depending on the currculum modules your purchase, the level of engagement (homeschooling is by design heavily asynchronous) and time allocated for core instruction. Many parents who opt for homeschool often have it within their budgets to facilitate instruction within the parameters of their itemized expenses(Upper-Middle class being the median level of income for these households), and when consolidated with regular home activities and responsibilities, the costs can offset. It is true that the statistics of Homeschooling VS Public schooling in the context of academic excellence does skew towards homeschooling, but that is just as much a product of the sample size as it is the level of guidance and instruction.

Homeschoolers make up a mere fraction of the educational participation in the US (Somewhere between 7-9% I think, although don't hold me to that number) and success rates are almost entirely predicated on the parents involvement. Unless your sitting on a little genius possessing the autodidactic cerebrum of Leonardo Davinci, you're not churning out a Harvard graduate without a considerable amount of work and sacrifice. Which is not to say it isn't worthwhile, but entirely unrealistic for most middle-class households with dual full-time working parents.

Economics plays a huge factor, but it's not the ultimate determiner in my opinion for the low rate of homeschooling/de-schooled households. I can only speak anecdotally (and keep in mind I am biased, being a public educator myself) but from the conversations I've had with parents over the years who have considered it as an alternative (I typically eschew any direct advice on these matters in order not to unduly influence, or give off the appearance of pressure despite my School district's interest in retaining these students) I've found that the most common concern is social cohesion and integration.

Most parents want good grades first and foremost(anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't takes their child's education seriously) but many I've spoken to are also wary of the rigorous constraints and stress that places upon them. A clear delineation between School life and Home life is a vital component to not just the child's muturation, but the development of the household as well. Despite what Hollywood would have you believe, Homeschooled children aren't all sheltered pansies born into fundamentalist families, carrying pocket bibles and holy water every time they leave the house. But there is an alarming inverse correlation between vital social participation and homeschooling practices. The stereotype wasn't made out of whole cloth, and that is always first and foremost the fear parents described to me.

Which is why I have always been, and will continue to be until I draw my last breath a huge proponent of Private and Magnet Schools, Magnet schooling especially. The emphasis of specialized learning with a fusion of both Synchronous and Asynchronous instruction is a method I think contains immeasurable value in the educational field, and I've seen it pay dividends, just in the community I live in. I've applied in the past, but hoo boy their teaching qualifications can be formidable and highly selective. I'm content where I am now, but that is my Mecca and I'm not stopping till I get there.
killacross

Post by killacross »

Admitted into the hospital

Last time it was different. Her water broke and she gave birth within the hour

This time... It's been contractions like crazy. We went to the hospital anyway and she was dilated to 7cm.. So they said she's active labor and admitted her

... Any minute now
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

^^

All the best!
killacross

Post by killacross »

They artificially broke her water at 6a... The baby was born at 624

8lbs 3oz and 20 inches long
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

killacross wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:07 pm They artificially broke her water at 6a... The baby was born at 624

That's a big baby, no? Congrats.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

killacross wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:07 pm They artificially broke her water at 6a... The baby was born at 624

Congrats! Boy or girl? Need a young killa I'm the world. Name the baby Sasuke if it's a boy.
killacross

Post by killacross »

Boy
Marten Nehemiah -Cross... It's a theme in my household. All of our names start "Mar"

And yea.. That's a big baby. My wife is a G!! Vaginal delivery, no epidural (but she got a Stadol injection in her IV). She's like "it didn't help" ... Then fell asleep every 10 seconds. Would wake up for a contraction... Then fall asleep again

Also.. Apparently over my pharma career, I have helped deliver thousands of babies!! All of the drugs and equipment came from sites, companies, projects I've personally worked on. (Though nothing from my current company.)

Finally... FUCK!! My wife wants her parents to move in again. She's scared of having a newborn and being responsible. While I've matured and grown as a person these past 3 years. This shit is designed to test my character. I plan to just go haam with projects and the like. 2023 will be a dope year
Last edited by killacross on Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
superbob
Site Admin

Post by superbob »

You got yourself a chonky baby there Killa, Congrats
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

So no Red wave but looks like Republicans will win the House and maybe the Senate.
killacross

Post by killacross »

Does this mean we can finally move on from Donald Trump?

He spent the last 2 yrs campaigning and saying the election was stolen. He endorsed people that the right was supposed to vote for. Worst inflation in a lifetime... High gas prices... Stock market downturn/stagnation... Wreckless spending... Least popular president since ever... Activist legislation galore

And Republicans may just barely eek out a win (saw a headline that called it a Red Ripple :D)

This vote should send a clear message to the right. Same as always... This election was theirs to lose.. And they've tried their damndest
Haohmaru

Post by Haohmaru »

Congrats Killa. @DM, that's normal for a baby that stayed the whole 9 month in the belly.
superbob
Site Admin

Post by superbob »

Going to be migrating the site over to a new host this weekend, so there will probably be some disruptions in service while I do that.
killacross

Post by killacross »

My daughter has had a revelation. Her little 3 yr old mind blown.
"Boobies are for feeding babies.... That's so silly."

She then watched my wife breastfeed to confirm.

Also... Just wanted to mention. Baby #2 is significantly easier than baby #1 as long as they aren't back to back. I think it's all psychosomatic though. Much easier than dealing with a constant unknown.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Louis Farrakhan on Kyrie & Ye controversy: https://youtu.be/s15f8goTK14

Ye and Kyrie about to have Nation of Islam bodyguards outside their mansion.

I haven't listen to this guy in years but he looks great for 89 years old 😯
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

killacross wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:55 pm Does this mean we can finally move on from Donald Trump?

He spent the last 2 yrs campaigning and saying the election was stolen. He endorsed people that the right was supposed to vote for. Worst inflation in a lifetime... High gas prices... Stock market downturn/stagnation... Wreckless spending... Least popular president since ever... Activist legislation galore

And Republicans may just barely eek out a win (saw a headline that called it a Red Ripple :D)

This vote should send a clear message to the right. Same as always... This election was theirs to lose.. And they've tried their damndest
Your extensive hyperbole aside, we're still stuck with him. Party leadership has been trying to get rid of him, but he has enough popularity with the base that they still he was able to get his candidates pushed forward in the primary. He's not going to fade quietly, maybe if enough people at Fox are willing to excoriate him instead of validate him, then he may start fading. It needs to be an active effort to achieve that though.
Digital Masta wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:32 pm What is this "quality education" you speak of? You say these words...yet I do not see them anywhere in the United States. We now also know that math and reading scores plummeted during covid but they were already pretty trash. Government education is complete trash in America and we all know it, young people know even less than our generation, alternative education can't do any worse. In fact, isn't it pretty well known that homeschooled kids traditionally do better than government-schooled kids academically?
There's a lot of assumption in this paragraph, so there's not really any good way to respond to it without a huge text wall and I really just don't have the energy. We'd have to set agreeable definitions for "quality," "plummeted," "trash," identify a metric for "knowing less" for us to even begin to validate that sentence, and the answer to the last sentence is basically no once you account for different variables.

Easiest way to look at it for me is that if you look at some of the universities considered the top, they have over 60% of freshmen who went to public school. There is plenty of good public education out there, the problem is that it's not consistent to everyone.
superbob
Site Admin

Post by superbob »

Kevin Conroy passed away today, the voice that I will always associate with batman
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

superbob wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:59 pm Kevin Conroy passed away today, the voice that I will always associate with batman
Saw that. Sadface.

I forgot to mention earlier - Twitter's CISO, Chief Privacy Officer, and Chief Compliance Officer all resigned at the same time. Sounds like some great things are happening! Time to stop avoiding Twitter with a 10-foot pole and upgrade to the 100-footer.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Just watched Black Panther 2, good movie. Black Panther 2 could never be as good as it was supposed to be with T'challa in it unfortunately if I'm being honest.

Beijing is expected to snub Hollywood’s latest superhero blockbusters, 'Black Panther: Wakanda Forever' and Dwayne Johnson’s 'Black Adam', as China continues to block US access to its film market, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

Сhinese movie industry insiders told the outlet that the two films are believed to have little chance of winning the approval of local regulators, which would cut Disney and Warner Bros. out of millions of dollars in potential revenue.

Although Chinese regulators have not announced any decision and seldom comment on the reasons for denying a foreign film access to the nation’s market, it is believed that Marvel movies, such as the 'Black Panther' series, are subject to a “de facto ban” in the country, the outlet said.

While Marvel’s ‘Avengers: Endgame’ managed to earn $629 million during its Chinese release in 2019, beginning with 2020’s ‘Black Widow’, the last half dozen Marvel titles have failed to make it on to Chinese screens at all.

Some have speculated that the ‘Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings’ and ‘Eternals’ movies were banned due to actors on those projects making comments that “seemed to disparage” China, THR said. For ‘Spider-Man: No Way Home’, the reason was thought to be that the Statue of Liberty, a “potent symbol of American political values,” was featured too prominently.

Fans believe that censors have also taken issue with the openly gay characters in ‘Black Panther 2’, ‘Thor: Love and Thunder’, and Pixar’s ‘Lightyear’.

Hollywood studios had previously cut scenes with gay characters out of their movies for the Chinese market. Disney, however, has recently decided not to remove gay content for the sake of appeasing regulators in foreign countries.
Disney just couldn't help themselves, I watched the scene and it wasn't even needed lol. Now most likely locked out of the Chinese market of at least $500B imo.
superbob wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:59 pm Kevin Conroy passed away today, the voice that I will always associate with batman
Damn R.I.P he contributed a lot of fun to my childhood entertainment as Batman in the 90's.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Dave Chapelle on SNL about Kanye: https://youtu.be/RuR6XoGzlyM

Edit

I go in and out every now and then to see where the One Piece episode is at because I really want to see the final fight with Luffy vs Kaido. Ep 1040 is Jinbe's best fight and animated fight so far.
superbob
Site Admin

Post by superbob »

Sorry about that guys, knew I forgot to do something. Forgot to set the new path for the URL to direct through the hosting site.

Everything should be up and running now