There we go

San Goku

Re: There we go

Post by San Goku »

killacross wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:42 am How many of you guys wear cologne?...and if so...which scents? It was my new hobby that I started in 2021. I am starting to think that it isn't common because of the reaction I get from the public (particularly women...but sometimes men make me uncomfortable too)
I'll have to check think I have a Jimmy Choo one that's really good.

Let you know the exact name when I get home.

How about you?
killacross

Post by killacross »

So I went to the ABC store yesterday. At first these two young girls (one white, one probably mixed) started up a conversation with me about which liquor to get. I told them I don't even drink enough to know...Anywhoo...one of them said it was her friend's 21st birthday and then asked me to buy the birthday girl the little mini bottle sampler set (because it was her birthday). It was like $10, so I said sure. We get to the register and she says something to the cashier along the lines of...OOOOOOH he smells SO GOOD. The cashier (an older white lady -- probably mid 60s) smells me and goes -- OH!...you DO smell good. You smell edible..............but not like food. **long, awkward silence** OOOk...thank you.

When we were leaving -- they asked me what I had planned for the rest of the day and I should hang out with them because they had a night of drinking with friends planned. I explained that I would have to ask my wife first -- and they were like..."Oh".

THEY, made my day....that cashier made me uncomfortable...you could probably see this black man blush.

I've had experiences like that a few times now - particularly at the daycare when I'm picking my daughter up and a mom is standing downwind. They'll say something like "You smell wonderful or I really liked what you were wearing yesterday or what is that scent? I want it for my husband!". Or at the last job when my female boss (Ms Snickers) would walk into my office, she told me it always smells so good in here!

Anyway -- my collection (and it's likely to grow a little more) in no particular order:

Bvlgari - Man in Black
Bvlgari - Aqua
Mercedes - The Move
Mercedes - Blue
Burberry Brit - Rhythm
Coach - For Men
Valentino - Uomo
Dolce & Gabbana - Light Blue
Prada - Luna Rossa Carbon
Giorgio Armani - Armani Code
Giorgio Armani - Acqua di Gio Absolu
Versace - Eros
Guerlain - Lhomme Ideal
Escentric Molecules - Molecule 01
18.21 Man Made - Sweet Tobacco Spirits
Calvin Klein - Eternity
Salvatore Ferragamo - Acqua Essenziale Colonia
Ralph Lauren - Polo Red Rush
Dunhill - Icon Absolute
Mugler - Alien Oud Majestueux (this one is listed as either for women or unisex...it smells so gottdamn good and I'm already married -- sooo I risked it)
Tom Ford - Fucking Fabulous (Bought the small bottle for the name. It's my most expensive one...and I do not like it)
Yves Saint Laurent - Tuxedo

...I rotate through them...I don't want to have a signature scent...I just want people to say "he smells good"
Last edited by killacross on Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Haohmaru

Post by Haohmaru »

How can you tell that story without telling which scent you had on that day you bitch haha.

Damn you got a good collection. İmma check them out
killacross

Post by killacross »

Sorry... Good point :lol: :lol:
I was wearing Prada Luna Rossa Carbon
Haohmaru

Post by Haohmaru »

On it boss.
You should check out Dior. They have great scents as well. They're a really mature scent. Woody or something I don't know how to explain it in English haha.
Forgot to mention paco rabanne one million. Love that scent.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Yo that's like a NBA's player shoe collection. Reminds me of my uncle in Long Island, NY when I was a kid. He had a huge collection. He was a single bachelor at that time.
killacross

Post by killacross »

I have a sample vial of 1 million. It's too sweet for my tastes.

My experience is women love bold or sweet scents
Men like fresh, sandalwood/cedar, or clean scents

If I go into my sample vial collection, I have another 50+ I'm sure. I would buy sampler packs on ebay and amazon. Then I picked out ones I liked...and would buy one a week or so.

I did have one girl say...wow you smell good...what are you wearing...Axe?
I was like...umm no...this is Mercedes Blue. She was like -- oh, I don't know anything about that -- too rich for my blood.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

I've been thinking about scents for a while because of the youtube channels but it is very daunting.
Haohmaru

Post by Haohmaru »

killacross wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:08 am I have a sample vial of 1 million. It's too sweet for my tastes.

My experience is women love bold or sweet scents
Men like fresh, sandalwood/cedar, or clean scents

If I go into my sample vial collection, I have another 50+ I'm sure. I would buy sampler packs on ebay and amazon. Then I picked out ones I liked...and would buy one a week or so.

I did have one girl say...wow you smell good...what are you wearing...Axe?
I was like...umm no...this is Mercedes Blue. She was like -- oh, I don't know anything about that -- too rich for my blood.
Hahah what kind of weird ass woman did you date in the past that she thinks axe is fancy enough.

Bro believe me women go crazy over one million. Same with Dior Sauvage.
killacross

Post by killacross »

Digital Masta wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:33 am I've been thinking about scents for a while because of the youtube channels but it is very daunting.
It's really not. Hop online and buy a sampler pack. Typically, you get 10-ish scents. Identify some that you like [my wife has one that SHE loves - but it gives me a headache after a while so I don't wear it at all. I bought her a perfume that I like...but she stopped wearing it after she was pregnant because it made her nauseous].

Two tips - #1. cologne goes on your skin (not your clothes). You put it on after a shower. And after you apply a lightly scented (though fragrance free is best) lotion. #2 Do NOT bathe in the stuff. Common saying is something along the lines of "A scent is meant to be discovered...not announced."

The discovery part is the fun part. It is also why I assume 90% of men DON'T wear a scent besides toothpaste, soap, and deodorant. I don't think most men wear lotion either.
Haohmaru wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:45 am Hahah what kind of weird ass woman did you date in the past that she thinks axe is fancy enough.

On it boss!

And we weren't dating. She was just a prostitute that was giving me a blowjob in a seedy motel. Or maybe it was just some random young girl at the gas station and we met at the trash can between the pumps when throwing stuff away -- I can't remember which.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

killacross wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:43 am
Digital Masta wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:33 am I've been thinking about scents for a while because of the youtube channels but it is very daunting.
It's really not. Hop online and buy a sampler pack. Typically, you get 10-ish scents. Identify some that you like [my wife has one that SHE loves - but it gives me a headache after a while so I don't wear it at all. I bought her a perfume that I like...but she stopped wearing it after she was pregnant because it made her nauseous].

Two tips - #1. cologne goes on your skin (not your clothes). You put it on after a shower. And after you apply a lightly scented (though fragrance free is best) lotion. #2 Do NOT bathe in the stuff. Common saying is something along the lines of "A scent is meant to be discovered...not announced."

The discovery part is the fun part. It is also why I assume 90% of men DON'T wear a scent besides toothpaste, soap, and deodorant. I don't think most men wear lotion either.
Well, I definitely wear lotion...but I think you're right.
Haohmaru

Post by Haohmaru »

killacross wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:43 am
Haohmaru wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:45 am Hahah what kind of weird ass woman did you date in the past that she thinks axe is fancy enough.

On it boss!

And we weren't dating. She was just a prostitute that was giving me a blowjob in a seedy motel. Or maybe it was just some random young girl at the gas station and we met at the trash can between the pumps when throwing stuff away -- I can't remember which.
Hahaha that's wild. As long as you got some 🤗
Mongor

Post by Mongor »

Floris 89 and various other CK, FC random ones. It's not something I tend to buy or even use much. The only one I tend to buy over and over again is the Floris.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

I'll be honest majority of my life my moms bought me cologne (bday, Christmas), she has good taste lol.
Haohmaru

Post by Haohmaru »

Mongor wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:46 pm Floris 89 and various other CK, FC random ones. It's not something I tend to buy or even use much. The only one I tend to buy over and over again is the Floris.
Dude Floris is pretty expensive.
I wanted to get creed parfum, but shit costs 260 for 100ml.

Thought I'd check some expensive ones, there are €800 parfumes. For 250ml that's some crazy shit.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

It's funny. As I've gotten older I've totally embraced doing adult things like:

-Finally getting my sense of style down in a way where I'm expressing myself the way I want to. I just had my 2nd fitting for my first ever made-to-measure suit and it's awesome. Even in the states, I'm hard to fit and I love that menswear has hit this incredible renaissance where there are so many options now for men (mainly online) to get quality clothing at decent prices. That doesn't mean cheap but compared to what these kinds of clothes typically cost, it's incredible. I've been completely converted to performance fabric clothing. The top for me being Mizzen and Main and Ministry of Supply, Twillory also isn't bad but because they use cotton in their fabrics they don't do as well as the purely synthetic shirts of the latter two companies.

My suit is actually being made locally, not online because I wanted that experience but I'll definitely be eyeing online. I just received a custom-made bomber jacket from NYC-based company Woodies and the crazy thing is that you basically just fill out their questionnaire and they will make your clothes. You can adjust the measurements they give you based on what you input but you don't have to (I did) and the bomber jacket fits PERFECTLY. I ordered a denim jacket as well but they sent the bomber first just to make sure it fit and are now doing the denim. If they fuck up your order, they'll adjust and make a new one for free.

I bought a performance fabric suit called the X-suit and it's hard to describe the fabric, it's like part wetsuit and it feels like wearing pajamas, it's so god damn comfortable, machine washable, has like 6-way stretch and water literally rolls off of it. Plus it looks great! It's perfect for travel as it doesn't really wrinkle and when I deal with teaching kindergarten-aged kids in a suit, it's perfect.

I'm clinically known as a "sweaty beast" so, performance fabric clothing is saving my damn life. Seriously, the shit is magic.

I can't really buy clothes in this country outside of Uniqlo, and I like Uniqlo but there are only certain things I can buy from them and because it's fast fashion, depending on what you but and how long you use it their stuff typically doesn't last long, but when combined with higher quality clothes, Uniqlo clothes look great.

I've fully embraced the idea of spending more money but buying less clothing that will last me a long time.

-I found a fabric softener that has a "sport" lime scent to it giving my clothes a really pleasant scent. Which is night, one of the staff at one of the places I work was like, "Are you wearing cologne?" I told her no she was like, "Your clothes smell nice, I guess you changed your detergent?" I told her it was the fabric softener. That's typically what gives your clothes a scent, not the detergent.

-Outer body care meaning having a skincare routine, my skin (in particular my face) has always been good but I've always struggled with dry skin. My skin basically drinks up lotion in about 10 seconds. I've been shaving my head for over 10 years now (Like my older brother, I started balding around 27) and I mean with a safety razor so I got really in tune with taking care of the skin on my head. I've been using products from a company called Mountaineer. I've extended that care to the rest of my face as well, I'm now trying out a new group of products from a company called Lumin. This includes stuff for bags under the eyes.

-Inner body care meaning, a little over a month ago I started taking liver and Bone/cartilage supplements from a company called Ancestral Supplements and it's really helped with sleep and the cartilage issues in my shoulder. I have significantly less pain now. This was something that surgery couldn't fix, and my lifts have been steadily increasing as well. Might be because of supplements or not but I'm adding another supplement to my regiment and seeing where this goes.

-Now I'm looking into cologne.

And I actually really enjoy all of it.
killacross

Post by killacross »

So yea.. I'm in the process as well. I haven't decided where I want to end. But it's been fun.

I didn't have a skin care routine.. And liked using harsh soaps that stripped my body of oils... It felt really clean. So started actually applying Lotion to my body after showers. My skin is smooth and soft. My wife loves that

I'm not balding.. But have always used clippers to shave my head bald since 6th grade

What I hate is that I can't grow a beard. I can do a mustache and goatee and this patchy mess on the rest of my face. I used to use disposable razors.. And had the dark patches and folliculitis and ingrown hairs. I actually bought a safety razor on DMs recommendation like a year ago. It's worked very well for me.

I've always had good teeth.. But this year I got an electric toothbrush and a home whitening kit. The bright, white smile has gotten alot of compliments

This year I focused on my feet. I've always had bad feet. And never really took care of them until now. So I sanded down the caluses and applied Vaseline and socks every night and every morning. My feet are so soft now. My wife loves it.

2 years ago I lost a ton of weight (-80+ lbs) . I used the chance to upgrade my wardrobe. I've gradually gained quite a bit of weight back since then (+30lbs)... But the clothes fit.. Just not as nicely as before. So that's the focus for 2022.

Cologne was this year just because it was easy. The weight loss and clothing got me the most attention... But colognes get me the most "aggressive" attention- if that makes sense

I see it with my college buddies. We're all mid 30s and they still wear jeans, tees, fitted caps and durags, and Jordan's

I keep telling them we are professionals now... And they were never gangsters

Not a causation... But definite correlation between my finances and theirs

I've had 2 tailor made suits. They are definitely too big now. I need to get them dry cleaned and altered

Weakest part of my game right now is footwear. I wear boat shoes and tennis shoes. But it's just that with my job.. Dress shoes are impractical because I don't fly a desk... And we don't really go out to fancy locations anymore. The baby keeps us as homebodies
Last edited by killacross on Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haohmaru

Post by Haohmaru »

Just go casual shoes, but not too casual. Something in between casual and dress shoes. There's a brand called Santoni which I really like. They're not cheap, but it's great quality and looks very nice. Even their more casual shoes go well with more formal clothing choices.

From what I've seen online and in tv shows Americans lack style ahah. It's very seldom I see someone and say hmm he's dressed nicely.
I guess we Europeans are more into fashion. That varies as well though. When I go to Germany I'm amazed by how much different our style and fashion is.

@DM, that's the way to go after a certain age. You can never go wrong with tailored suits. Don't be afraid to match different colors. A lot of people go with the safe one color.
Also combine the trousers with nice polo's or sweaters. There are so many choices. Just be brave and give it a go.

Damn I feel like the store clerk from rush hour 2 giving you 2 black guys clothing advice.

https://youtu.be/YFTbj6DJbGQ
killacross

Post by killacross »

Cancel them!!
Haohmaru

Post by Haohmaru »

killacross wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:32 pmCancel them!!
I don't get it..