There we go

superbob
Site Admin

Re: There we go

Post by superbob »

killacross wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:30 pm
San Goku wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:04 pm You got one of these bad boys, dope! Good for you over the years it's been becoming common to hear about mass shootings in Colorado unfortunately. Before it was only skiing and snowboarding for someone like me when thinking about that place.
oh really? name some...only ones I can think of would be columbine (almost 20 yrs ago) and the guy that shot up the dark knight showing (almost a decade ago)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STEM_Scho ... h_shooting
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

killacross wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:30 pm
San Goku wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:04 pm You got one of these bad boys, dope! Good for you over the years it's been becoming common to hear about mass shootings in Colorado unfortunately. Before it was only skiing and snowboarding for someone like me when thinking about that place.
oh really? name some...only ones I can think of would be columbine (almost 20 yrs ago) and the guy that shot up the dark knight showing (almost a decade ago)
Yes those are the ones, a lot of people died. Those are a lot more than other places.
killacross

Post by killacross »

I dunno even know why I got involved here

my mistake guys....you are absolutely right!! I'm gonna go find a range though and polish up on my skillset

btw...I still think I'm too immature to concealed carry

**Edit**
The mom from Arrested Development/Archer dead at 80
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

I'm not anti gun by the way. I want to get a hand gun and permit to carry.
superbob
Site Admin

Post by superbob »

killacross wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:51 pm
btw...I still think I'm too immature to concealed carry
I struggle with this a lot, I do have my CCL, and a CCW, but I very rarely actually carry... It's one of those situations where if I find myself in a situation to use my CCW, I really shouldn't have been in that situation to begin with...

I do carry while hunting though, I don't think i'll need it, but a hungry black bear or a mountain lion really scares me
killacross

Post by killacross »

Listening to Joe's press conference a day later. Listening strictly to the message.. I like probably 90% of it. Listening in context of the real world, I like maybe 10% of it.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

killacross wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:30 pm Listening to Joe's press conference a day later. Listening strictly to the message.. I like probably 90% of it. Listening in context of the real world, I like maybe 10% of it.
That's why they get the big bucks, all lip service.

Now I'm curious to watch Joe. This was his first press conference since taking office right?
killacross

Post by killacross »

Yes. He wanted to talk about Corona and uniting the country. The reporters wanted to talk southern border and Gina.

Joe basically said it's all Trump's fault.

He was a lot better than people will give him credit for (his mind only drifted off once into the nonsensical mumbling he does).
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

killacross wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:47 pm Yes. He wanted to talk about Corona and uniting the country. The reporters wanted to talk southern border and Gina.

Joe basically said it's all Trump's fault.

He was a lot better than people will give him credit for (his mind only drifted off once into the nonsensical mumbling he does).
Don't get me wrong, tangents are good criticisms especially when politicians use them to avoid answering questions... but that standard should definitely have been invoked on our last president if we're going to use it as a metric on mental acuity.

But yeah, he fucked over a hospital to talk about Corona, so still boo on him.

Blaming the predecessor is rule A for new presidents, but with all of the other reasons available to him that are legitimate it's incredibly annoying (though not unexpected) that he's still falling back on it.
superbob
Site Admin

Post by superbob »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1EbSXxrZ34

Suicide Squad red band trailer
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

superbob wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:35 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1EbSXxrZ34

Suicide Squad red band trailer
That's a whole lotta NOPE for me.

Having finished The Snyder Cut and through the years of reflecting on my feelings over Man Of Steel and BvS, I've come to appreciate Zack Snyder's vision as a whole.

I never hated Man of Steel but I did have some issues with it and I have fewer issues with it now. However, I still think he botched:

-Superman being too dark (literally in terms of color grading as well)
-Being too caviler with his identity, (he didn't really make any real efforts to hide it) the lack of focus on Clark Kent the man
-The Lois/Clark relationship was too fast
-Jonathan Kent would NEVER tell his son that maybe he should've let people die AND the way he died was just dumb. Should've stuck with the classic heart attack
-Zodd's motivations (Michael Shannon knocked it out of the park with Zodd BTW). "See, I'm programmed to protect Krypton so I'm gonna turn a planet where we have god powers into my home planet where we are just normal people" Yeah...makes total sense.

The extended cut of Batman v Superman did a better job of fleshing out the story and when I first saw it again, I didn't hate it and I actually really like Ben Affleck's Batman. I wasn't that bothered by Batman killing people because this was a hardened 20-year veteran Batman and more in the Frank Miller-vein.

I thought the whole "Martha" thing was a bit silly and I don't particularly enjoy the Jesse Eisenberg "kinda autistic" Lex Luthor.

Trying to ram Doomsday into it was a mistake as well.

I've also always been a fan of Snyder's visual "graphic novel come to life" style.

Overall, I think I'd much prefer to see the Snyderverse over what WB is planning right now for DC.

Oh, and Ezra Miller is much less insufferable in The Snyder Cut but he's still one of the worst decisions they made. That is NOT Barry Allen...god he's so awful as The Flash.
killacross

Post by killacross »

So, Invincible dropped on Amazon

...I think this sums it up perfectly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V693Djjw_hA
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

killacross wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:01 am So, Invincible dropped on Amazon

...I think this sums it up perfectly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V693Djjw_hA
Oh dear god, no.

EDIT: Why is Amber black?

Also, this was fascinating

https://tomwoods.com/ep-1863-amazing-in ... egulators/
killacross

Post by killacross »

Digital Masta wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:04 am EDIT: Why is Amber black?
it's 2021...it's time! :roll: :roll: :roll:
also...wasn't the Green Lantern character a guy? I have the comic on a hard drive somewhere -- I meant to reread it and just haven't yet. I might do it after this season as a jumpstart on GOOD storytelling

I don't get why they took a lot of the reveals and just covered them in the first 30 secs of the show.
Even the betrayal of the Guardians of the Globe gave it all away up front instead of the surprise revelation.

Animation studios F-ing suck
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

killacross wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:26 pm
it's 2021...it's time! :roll: :roll: :roll:
also...wasn't the Green Lantern character a guy? I have the comic on a hard drive somewhere -- I meant to reread it and just haven't yet. I might do it after this season as a jumpstart on GOOD storytelling

I don't get why they took a lot of the reveals and just covered them in the first 30 secs of the show.
Even the betrayal of the Guardians of the Globe gave it all away up front instead of the surprise revelation.

Animation studios F-ing suck
Yeah, he was a guy. Shrinking Ray was also originally a guy and they turned Rex into a "ambiguous ethnic looking" guy when he's pretty whitebread in the comic.

They will likely extend out Amber's role to create a love triangle which is kinda pointless as Mark's life quickly outgrows the confines of high school bullshit.

By the way, I would just like to point out that any guy that was intimate with Dupli-Kate would do the EXACT SAME THING.
killacross

Post by killacross »

Digital Masta wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:38 pm Yeah, he was a guy. Shrinking Ray was also originally a guy and they turned Rex into a "ambiguous ethnic looking" guy when he's pretty whitebread in the comic.

They will likely extend out Amber's role to create a love triangle which is kinda pointless as Mark's life quickly outgrows the confines of high school bullshit.

By the way, I would just like to point out that any guy that was intimate with Dupli-Kate would do the EXACT SAME THING.
bear in mind I've only seen episode 1...

they also changed Atom Eve's costume from bikini bottoms to booty shorts...

and they already revealed Mark's friend, William, is gay in the first scene, I remember he went away to college and finally figured it out after some time (I think he was dating Amber - but maybe not.

The whole "punch me" scene vs stop picking on the nerd and stuffing the bully in the locker was changed...which was f-ing dumb

...I remember the high school teacher was turning kids into bombs -- why was that removed? which is how the Teen Team was introduced -- his dad fought the alien invaders and then was kidnapped into their world for like 6 months but it was like 20 years to him

I don't remember Omni-Man being hurt after the murders in the comic. I don't even remember the fight. I thought they got called together....a few panels of blood splattering the wall -- then the Immortal saying I always hated you. Then the reveal.

Based solely on episode 1 -- overall -- I'm disappointed. I need to reread the comic to make sure it's not just nostalgia glasses though. Ugh, getting old sucks!
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

killacross wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:02 pm ...I remember the high school teacher was turning kids into bombs -- why was that removed? which is how the Teen Team was introduced -- his dad fought the alien invaders and then was kidnapped into their world for like 6 months but it was like 20 years to him
I'm guessing it has to do with lots of school violence.
killacross wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:02 pmI don't remember Omni-Man being hurt after the murders in the comic. I don't even remember the fight. I thought they got called together....a few panels of blood splattering the wall -- then the Immortal saying I always hated you. Then the reveal.
He wasn't, you got it exactly right.
killacross wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:02 pm Based solely on episode 1 -- overall -- I'm disappointed. I need to reread the comic to make sure it's not just nostalgia glasses though. Ugh, getting old sucks!
It's nostalgia glasses. I started it after you guys mentioned it recently. It starts off well enough but it goes downhill soon enough, I finally dropped it. May just want to keep your fond memories.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Digital Masta wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:04 am Also, this was fascinating

https://tomwoods.com/ep-1863-amazing-in ... egulators/
Warning: wall of text after listening to most of the show.
TL;DR: I agree there are genuine businesses being held back by regulation - but regulatory agencies do change quickly to address new technology if it's viable.
[SHOW]
His guest is a bit disingenuous - and that may not be his fault so much as the people he's talking to - in that a lot of it isn't necessarily regulation but that the invention itself isn't feasible. When your technology is sketchy of course regulation is going to hold you back, so if they say "we could have this wonderful thing if the regulation wasn't there" they're really just trying to make money off flawed technology. Even with regulation, shit products somehow get through - looking at you Theranos.

3D printing of organs has been around for decades. It hasn't taken off because they're still getting it to work, not because there's some regulator in the way (also lulz that the technology is going to somehow make healthcare overall cheaper, it's the opposite - though certainly organ donations will be cheaper). The CO2 removing plastic trees displace the CO2 which changes the ecosystem of what it's displacing (I was amused that you have to dip the trees in water to get them to work, and he proposed they be placed in the Sahara or central Australia). Ironically the CO2 plastic trees would actually kill off one of the other inventions - the ocean farms.

The reason the regulations exist though is because if the group went ahead and dropped a kelp farm in the middle of the ocean, in theory the kelp would clash with the phytoplankton currently there since it serves the same purpose. The ocean already regulates itself relative to the CO2 in the air. Even if we artificially replace the phytoplankton with a more efficient kelp farm, the fish in the ocean aren't adjusted to eating kelp - they evolved to eat phytoplankton. It imbalances the ecosystem. Without someone saying "hey, you can't do that until we can actually test what's going to happen" we just wreck things.

Don't get me wrong, I fully agree that regulation is always an initial roadblock to new technology, but we have two easy examples in the past few years where new technology has emerged and the regulations were simply changed (in plenty of time for the businesses to be successful, despite the claim otherwise) - drones and space exploration. The regulatory bodies generally have that ability to do so without Congress intervening. There's even been an example recently where two regulatory bodies thought the other should be the body to regulate the technology - it didn't stymie the business it meant the business was unregulated.

Regulations could use overhauls, sure - but they generally exist because someone, somewhere fucked something up and it had consequences bad enough that we needed a federal law to regulate it.
Amusing anecdote - there are a significant number of Americans who already think technology is evolving too fast.
killacross

Post by killacross »

also...I seriously figured it out
it's Amazon and they hired Zazie Beetz to voice a character. You can't have people voice a character if they are not the same race. So they changed the source material
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

killacross wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:29 pm
also...I seriously figured it out
it's Amazon and they hired Zazie Beetz to voice a character. You can't have people voice a character if they are not the same race. So they changed the source material
Unless they are white. Because Glenn from the Walking Dead voices Mark and Sandra Oh is his mom.

And Zazie Beetz is half black...therefore Amber should be half-black but she's closer to what I call midnight black. But if she's half black that just means black because you never acknowledge the side that is white.