There we go

San Goku

Re: There we go

Post by San Goku »

Digital Masta wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:47 pm I really hate it when American companies create adult-orientated animation series and call it "anime". For fuck's sake, take some pride in your stuff, not everything has to be like an anime. Stuff from Japan...well that's anime.
Agreed. Cultural Appropriation?
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

San Goku wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:18 pm
Digital Masta wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:47 pm I really hate it when American companies create adult-orientated animation series and call it "anime". For fuck's sake, take some pride in your stuff, not everything has to be like an anime. Stuff from Japan...well that's anime.
Agreed. Cultural Appropriation?
No, cultural appropriation is stupid. It's just that they think if they call it anime they think they get more "street cred" it seems.

Also, I'm really interested in seeing how the new MK movie turns out because when the first one came out there were only 5 years of MK content to pull from. Now there are almost 30 years of it (yes...MK is that old) and the game always sells like crazy, especially since they rebooted it with MK9. People to this day still love Mortal Kombat.
killacross

Post by killacross »

I'm waiting for the Superman/Batman cameos and/or easter eggs
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

If I had to guess, the term "anime" has also been co-opted/blended with animation in general once it started showing a large influence. I'd wager that people who don't know enough call everything anime and that usage has proliferated. Anime's influence on western animation probably also helps blur the lines.

It also depends on how it's going to be defined. Is "from Japan" a core concept of the definition of "anime," or is "anime" more like using the term "impressionism" in that it's an artistic style? Webster's says it's a style, American Heritage hedges their bets and says it's a style or any animation from Japan. /shrug

I've always been in the "anime is from Japan" camp, but I've never really given it too much thought. If Miyazaki makes a movie in the States, is it anime? If a western director makes a western-style animated movie in Japan, is it anime?

Is this the real life? Is it just fantasy? Tired ramble over...
killacross

Post by killacross »

I've always been a purest. If the original audio language is Japanese...it is anime. If the original audio language is English, French, Chinese, Swahili -- it's an English, French, Chinese, Swahili cartoon. Anime is a Japanese word, and I can't think of another situation where we have a loan word as a specific genre besides foods. Thai food, Hibachi food, Chinese, sushi, Sous vide, santoku knife, hot pot...very specific terms for very specific cook methods...regardless of where it's made. Yep...this is a topic getting me rambling.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

killacross wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:10 am I've always been a purest. If the original audio language is Japanese...it is anime. If the original audio language is English, French, Chinese, Swahili -- it's an English, French, Chinese, Swahili cartoon. Anime is a Japanese word, and I can't think of another situation where we have a loan word as a specific genre besides foods. Thai food, Hibachi food, Chinese, sushi, Sous vide, santoku knife, hot pot...very specific terms for very specific cook methods...regardless of where it's made. Yep...this is a topic getting me rambling.
Agreed with the anime part.
eddieson

Post by eddieson »

The way I see it is that anime is just a short way of saying animation. So if another country wants to use the word then it's fine as long as they distinguish the country of origin.
killacross wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:10 am I've always been a purest. If the original audio language is Japanese...it is anime. If the original audio language is English, French, Chinese, Swahili -- it's an English, French, Chinese, Swahili cartoon. Anime is a Japanese word, and I can't think of another situation where we have a loan word as a specific genre besides foods. Thai food, Hibachi food, Chinese, sushi, Sous vide, santoku knife, hot pot...very specific terms for very specific cook methods...regardless of where it's made. Yep...this is a topic getting me rambling.
Not a single one of those listed are cooking methods though. A better example for what you're going for in food would be champagne.
Cane_The9lives

Post by Cane_The9lives »

Fella's, this is a purely semantic discussion. The studio that animated this "Anime" is studio Mir, the same South Korean studio that animated Avatar and legend of Korra, show's that are (at least stylistically) heavily influenced by Japanese anime(as is much of Korean animation) and almost indistinguishable in certain respects. I'm in the same camp that Anime is a uniquely Japanese descriptor, at least in terms of defining a product that is: written, produced, directed and animated entirely by Japanese studios and distribution companies, and intended (in an initial conceptual sense) to be distributed to a Japanese audience.

But honestly this discussion skews into the realm of pointless when you factor in collaborations.
Is "The Animatrix" an American movie of short films animated by Japanese studios, or a film of "Anime" shorts co-produced by American companies? Which creative element holds supremacy and either confirms or invalidates the term "Anime"? Most of the shorts were written and directed by Japanese directors and animators, but the wachowskis were the creative masterminds behind the production.

Or take the case of "Ultimo" a Japanese manga illustrated by hiroyuki takei and written by Stan Lee(a thoroughly forgettable manga that had some interesting philosophical musings but ultimately didn't hold my interest). Can a Manga be a manga written by an American? What if it was illustrated in the contemporary manga style by an American but written by a Japanese author? Does it cease to be a manga then?

Anime will never achieve the same mainstream status it enjoys in japan, but it has become an ubiquitous influence in virtually every animation studio in the global market, which has naturally forced a tweaking of the traditional classification and a debate on what the term now means.

Personally, I'm fine with "Anime-esque" or "Anime influenced", but do you actually expect companies to textually qualify this shit every time they create a show that has all the visual trappings of an anime?
killacross

Post by killacross »

eddieson wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:51 am Not a single one of those listed are cooking methods though. A better example for what you're going for in food would be champagne.
I can see that...I can see that.
Deep fried sushi is delicious....and oven-baked sous vide steaks are the bomb...hell, stir fried hibachi is my absolute favorite!!
bruh...GTFOH!!
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

killacross wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:17 am
eddieson wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:51 am Not a single one of those listed are cooking methods though. A better example for what you're going for in food would be champagne.
Deep fried sushi is delicious....and oven-baked sous vide steaks are the bomb...hell, stir fried hibachi is my absolute favorite!!
bruh...GTFOH!!
Since we're talking about food shortly after discussing MK, I'm choosing to read GTFOH as "get the fuck over here" in scorpion's voice.
Cane_The9lives wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:56 am Fella's, this is a purely semantic discussion.
I blame wittgenstein.
killacross

Post by killacross »

***killacross liked this***

**EDIT**
Just finished my panel interview. It went really well. I can tell they are going to make an offer. I'm getting excited again. Starting and moving in April.
eddieson

Post by eddieson »

bruh...GTFOH!!
Fried sushi is meh, oven baked steak sounds meh and hibachi is a waste of time.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Interesting tidbit - these cold weather/polar vortex issues we've seen in the past few years are NOT considered attributable to climate change with any strong confidence, but instead might be within "natural variability." That's to say that there's a division in the community around what's causing these events as opposed to any one consensus being drawn.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/02 ... t-so-fast/
killacross wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:53 pm ***killacross liked this***

**EDIT**
Just finished my panel interview. It went really well. I can tell they are going to make an offer. I'm getting excited again. Starting and moving in April.
Grats!
eddieson wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:13 pm
bruh...GTFOH!!
Shots fired. Isn't there a method of preparing steak where you pan-sear it then bake it that's got a fancy name?
killacross

Post by killacross »

I know a lot of restaurants do that. They will sear a steak on a grill to get char marks...then finish it off in the oven (makes it alot easier to control time of the cook so everything comes out together).

...Edds...you know I love you bruv
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Okay I'm a fan of Wanda Vision now. I thought it was nonsense but I see what they did after 3 eps and I like it a lot! Show looks promising.
eddieson

Post by eddieson »

xandorxerxes wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:37 pm Interesting tidbit - these cold weather/polar vortex issues we've seen in the past few years are NOT considered attributable to climate change with any strong confidence, but instead might be within "natural variability." That's to say that there's a division in the community around what's causing these events as opposed to any one consensus being drawn.

**EDIT**
Grats!

bruh...GTFOH!!
Shots fired. Isn't there a method of preparing steak where you pan-sear it then bake it that's got a fancy name?
Yes you can pan sear your steak and then finish it in the oven or under a salamander but that increases the chance of the steak cooking too much. For the sous vide way you were talking about you would vacuum seal it, cook it in water to whatever temp you wanted, then sear it either in a really hot pan or under a salamander. But if you don't want to be bothered with vacuum sealing you can spend like 7k plus plumbing costs and get a commercial combi oven, or around 600 for anova's countertop combi oven.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

eddieson wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:02 pm
xandorxerxes wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:37 pm Interesting tidbit - these cold weather/polar vortex issues we've seen in the past few years are NOT considered attributable to climate change with any strong confidence, but instead might be within "natural variability." That's to say that there's a division in the community around what's causing these events as opposed to any one consensus being drawn.

**EDIT**
Grats!

Yes you can pan sear your steak and then finish it in the oven or under a salamander but that increases the chance of the steak cooking too much. For the sous vide way you were talking about you would vacuum seal it, cook it in water to whatever temp you wanted, then sear it either in a really hot pan or under a salamander. But if you don't want to be bothered with vacuum sealing you can spend like 7k plus plumbing costs and get a commercial combi oven, or around 600 for anova's countertop combi oven.
Can you live with me and cook for me? No homo.
killacross

Post by killacross »

UGH!! I have flipped 180 deg. I am now thinking..."Well...I asked for more money...I asked to delay the start day...I probably made a bad first impression...there is probably another candidate that is a better fit." I'm thinking that I convinced myself that I read the body language incorrectly now...and that the language used (where the director/director/& manager kept talking as if I already worked there...)...and the enthusiasm and friendliness etc etc etc...

It's been 1 day!! Not checking that email again until pay days. But in the meantime...gonna re-engage at work (namely gonna turn off the invisibility). Plus, if I DO get the offer...I need to wrap up my current stuff.

But I hate me. That little voice in my head...is never on my side. NEVER.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

killacross wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:53 pm UGH!! I have flipped 180 deg. I am now thinking..."Well...I asked for more money...I asked to delay the start day...I probably made a bad first impression...there is probably another candidate that is a better fit." I'm thinking that I convinced myself that I read the body language incorrectly now...and that the language used (where the director/director/& manager kept talking as if I already worked there...)...and the enthusiasm and friendliness etc etc etc...

It's been 1 day!! Not checking that email again until pay days. But in the meantime...gonna re-engage at work (namely gonna turn off the invisibility). Plus, if I DO get the offer...I need to wrap up my current stuff.

But I hate me. That little voice in my head...is never on my side. NEVER.
In interviews my gut right after has always been better than later. Last place I thought like you did was the place I'm interviewing now - they got back to me asking for a final interview. Usually takes a few days for everyone to fully compare notes after all candidates are in, especially in busy places.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

So I've been doing 15km+ runs consistently for a while now. I'll usually run 7.5 non stop, take a 5 min break and do it again. I feel like I'm not pushing myself enough as much as I should. So I choose random people and compete with them to motivate me. This one dude a chased for like 5km straight, I'm pretty sure he noticed and was annoyed as fuck but I didn't care I was able to keep up a good pace and time.

Went snowboarding too last week with my old university buddy. It was fun, my friend was a bit out of shape but he worked his way up once he went through the motions a couple times. I didn't get to push myself as much as I wanted to. The hill closest to where I live isn't the biggest and these days with global warming we don't get a bunch of natural powder (snow) like 15-20 years ago. Wish I had a huge mountain in my backyard. Took me 1.5hr drive both ways. I probably need some new equipment but I don't go as much as I use to, to justify it.