There we go

Cane_The9lives

Re: There we go

Post by Cane_The9lives »

I've been to japan twice so I can't give as much of an informed opinion as DM, but I do think it had something to do with chemical saturation seeping into the skins, but honestly I don't know and I'm fairly versed in Japanese history/culture(again, not nearly as much a DM).

I will say this though, I didn't see a whole lot of apple peeling(even though I know that is common) but I did see grape peeling which kind of floored me.
My friend's girlfriend at the time (who I was staying with in Shinjuku city) would wash her hands thoroughly and proceed to peel them with the deftness of a fucking surgeon.

Her nails might as well have been scalpels.

I never saw her eat one with the skin on.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

But the skin is the healthiest part to eat with the apple?

I recently discovered Pomelo (in between orange and grapefruit) pretty good.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

killacross wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:51 pm @DM...you've been in Japan long enough that you might know

What is the significance of peeling apples in anime? They always have someone peeling apples at a sick person's bed side...I get it is the equivalent of the American chicken soup for the flu...but is there anything more to it?
It's a cultural thing but they don't always peel them but they do ALWAYS cut them. People look at me like I'm a savage brute when I eat an apple because I just eat it straight.

They do peel grapes.
killacross

Post by killacross »

The world is so interesting!

I knew about peeling grapes....but I was told that it was because they are a different strain that has a thick/coarse/and bitter skin (think Muscadines/Scuppernongs) vs what we would see in the states.

Interview 2 of ?3/4? completed successfully. Interviewed Friday. interviewed Monday. They called me back Tuesday to set up a panel interview...hopefully Thursday/Friday of this week. I feel weird about putting on a suit for a Zoom meeting...

I brought up that after the first 2 interviews...I want to adjust my salary expectations. I think I laid out a good, solid case for it...but talking money is always pretty nerve wracking. I dunno...If I can land this job (with the higher salary) and my wife lands the job she's waiting on...

#1: we will be moving to a different metro area (and haven't decided if we are keeping the current house & renting it out...or doing some improvements and selling it (while the market is pretty hot) or just selling it As-Is to be rid of the hassle. Personally...I want to keep it for another 2-3 yrs to get a feel for landlording
#2: we will increase our income by almost $50k/yr (with the higher salary) or even the first request just under $40k
#3: I am not convinced on buying land and building a home...vs buying a new construction and modifying slowly...so need to do a little research there (you are essentially paying the premium to customize things...AND you pay the highest price for it)...we have enough saved to go the 100% down route again

....the only dangerous part...the area we are planning to move to would put us closer to my inlaws (by about 45 mins) and closer to my family (by like 1.5 hrs)...and farther from the ocean by 1 hr
killacross

Post by killacross »

RIP Rush Limbaugh... Dead at 70
Cane_The9lives

Post by Cane_The9lives »

I was never a fan, but you can't deny he was a Titan of the industry.

Today would be a great day to stay off Twitter.
killacross

Post by killacross »

I wasn't a fan.. But he definitely made me consider different sides of the argument or justify my stance (I'm right leaning...
But he was much further right wing than me)
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

His following and influence were massive. He's been either the top or one of the top radio programs since the 80s. That's a giant hole that I guess Hannity will fill now, since he's #2 last I looked.
killacross wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:58 pm I wasn't a fan.. But he definitely made me consider different sides of the argument or justify my stance (I'm right leaning...
You fell in the trap - he didn't present any side of an argument. He just spouted his mouth off without knowing anything and just saying whatever he felt like. Fortunately he inadvertently helped steer people away from QAnon, I don't even want to think how much worse things would be if he was also a believer.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

I still don't know what QAnon is (too lazy to look), the name sounds cool. RIP to Rush.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

San Goku wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:54 am I still don't know what QAnon is (too lazy to look), the name sounds cool. RIP to Rush.
From Wikipedia - and keep in mind that we elected some of these believers into Congress:
QAnon, or simply Q, is a disproven and discredited far-right conspiracy theory alleging that a secret cabal of Satan-worshipping, cannibalistic pedophiles is running a global child sex-trafficking ring and plotted against former U.S. president Donald Trump while he was in office.
QAnon commonly asserts that Trump has been planning a day of reckoning known as the "Storm", when thousands of members of the cabal will be arrested. QAnon supporters have accused many liberal Hollywood actors, Democratic politicians, and high-ranking government officials of being members of the cabal. They have also claimed that Trump feigned conspiracy with Russians to enlist Robert Mueller to join him in exposing the sex trafficking ring and preventing a coup d'état by Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, and George Soros. The QAnon conspiracy theories have been amplified by Russian state-backed troll accounts on social media, as well as Russian state-backed traditional media.
More on the conspiracy itself:
It is disseminated mainly by supporters of Trump, who refer to the Storm and the Great Awakening—QAnon's precepts and vocabulary are closely related to the religious concepts of millenarianism and apocalypticism, leading it to be sometimes construed as an emerging religious movement. QAnon's adherents, while seeing Trump as a flawed Christian, also view him as a messiah sent by God.

According to Travis View, who has studied QAnon and written about it extensively for The Washington Post, the essence of the conspiracy theory is that:

there is a worldwide cabal of Satan-worshiping pedophiles who rule the world, essentially, and they control everything. They control politicians, and they control the media. They control Hollywood, and they cover up their existence, essentially. And they would have continued ruling the world, were it not for the election of President Donald Trump. Now, Donald Trump in this conspiracy theory knows all about this evil cabal's wrongdoing. But one of the reasons that Donald Trump was elected was to put an end to them, basically. And now we would be ignorant of this behind-the-scenes battle of Donald Trump and the U.S. military—that everyone backs him and the evil cabal—were it not for "Q." And what "Q" is is basically a poster on 4chan, who later moved to 8chan, who reveals details about this secret behind-the-scenes battle, and also secrets about what the cabal is doing and also the mass sort of upcoming arrest events through these posts.
Followers of QAnon also believe that there is an imminent event known as the "Storm", when thousands of members of the cabal will be arrested and possibly sent to Guantanamo Bay prison or to face military tribunals, and the U.S. military will brutally take over the country. The result will be salvation and utopia on earth. According to ADL, another component is a prophesized period of unrest that will correspond with The Storm, which has led to vivid speculation about any news story or event referencing 10 days. When former President Trump contracted COVID-19, it was speculated that he needed to quarantine for 10 days.
Tried to clean it up by removing the citation numbers and most of the pejoratives, but I probably missed a few. Page is a mile long talking about all of their stuff though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QAnon
killacross

Post by killacross »

I don't see a problem... They are 100% accurate
.. They just forgot about the shape-shifting, time traveling, lizardmen
superbob
Site Admin

Post by superbob »

killacross wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:55 pm I don't see a problem... They are 100% accurate
.. They just forgot about the shape-shifting, time traveling, lizardmen
And the jewish space lasers that started all the wild fires in the western US this last year.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

xandorxerxes wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:18 am His following and influence were massive. He's been either the top or one of the top radio programs since the 80s. That's a giant hole that I guess Hannity will fill now, since he's #2 last I looked.
killacross wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:58 pm I wasn't a fan.. But he definitely made me consider different sides of the argument or justify my stance (I'm right leaning...
You fell in the trap - he didn't present any side of an argument. He just spouted his mouth off without knowing anything and just saying whatever he felt like. Fortunately he inadvertently helped steer people away from QAnon, I don't even want to think how much worse things would be if he was also a believer.
30 years, 3 hours a day every day, the father of the alternative media boiled down to "He just said stuff." Alright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYH2sLid0Zc

Mortal Kombat trailer...looks fun!
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Digital Masta wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:24 am30 years, 3 hours a day every day, the father of the alternative media boiled down to "He just said stuff." Alright.
If longevity meant that you knew what you were talking about I'm pretty sure Killa wouldn't have half the issues he does with his workplace.
killacross

Post by killacross »

^^this guy gets it

also...I was JUST thinking of rereading this

and the algorithm delivers!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZrXjRnHCms

probably gonna reread it again anyway

*edit*
.. I ain't sayin she a gold digga but uh..kanye bout to be a broke nigga huh
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

New Superhero show on Amazon!!!

https://youtu.be/3ZrXjRnHCms
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

San Goku wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:51 pm New Superhero show on Amazon!!!

NEW SUPERHERO SHOW...NEW SUPERHERO SHOW?!

SHOW SOME RESPECT!

:lol:

THIS IS FUCKING INVINCIBLE, NIGGA!!!!!

While it ended a bit "meh" because Kirkman cared more about The Walking Dead, this is easily one of my favorite comic book series.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Netflix counters with... DotA? Whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWoW9-HBIwI

Edit: Also Mortal Kombat for those of you who haven't seen it yet (I'm slow): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow3fhDtRHiU
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Digital Masta wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:04 am
San Goku wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:51 pm New Superhero show on Amazon!!!

NEW SUPERHERO SHOW...NEW SUPERHERO SHOW?!

SHOW SOME RESPECT!

:lol:

THIS IS FUCKING INVINCIBLE, NIGGA!!!!!

While it ended a bit "meh" because Kirkman cared more about The Walking Dead, this is easily one of my favorite comic book series.
Dude I had no idea lol, show looks amazing.

xandorxerxes wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:32 pm Netflix counters with... DotA? Whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWoW9-HBIwI

Edit: Also Mortal Kombat for those of you who haven't seen it yet (I'm slow): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow3fhDtRHiU
WoW is this the Beserk series we've been waiting for?

Everyone is going crazy at the new MK trailer, kind of came out of nowhere. I.I'm looking forward to it.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

I really hate it when American companies create adult-orientated animation series and call it "anime". For fuck's sake, take some pride in your stuff, not everything has to be like an anime. Stuff from Japan...well that's anime.