Discuss any new manga chapters in here
Colep924

Re: Boku No Hero Academia

Post by Colep924 »

Yeah could’ve done without that chapter
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

From what I'm seeing, 289 is on a hiatus until next week. https://www.viz.com/shonen-jump-chapter-schedule
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero- ... ction=read

That was a pretty intense ending. No ideas on how the good guys are gettin outta this one
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Colep924 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:51 am https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero- ... ction=read

That was a pretty intense ending. No ideas on how the good guys are gettin outta this one
I'm thinking AFO somehow tells Gigantomachia to get Shigaraki out of there. Gigantomachia just runs off with him, bad guys escape to fight another day.

No clue what Toga is thinking really.
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero- ... ction=read

That was something I think pretty much everyone knew was true. All in all this arc has been pretty damn great, one of my favorite so far
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

New chapter is out - I liked it.
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

Endeavors cancelled, Hawks is probably cancelled, and Jeanist is alive? A little disappointing but still enjoying this arc.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Colep924 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:36 pm Endeavors cancelled, Hawks is probably cancelled, and Jeanist is alive? A little disappointing but still enjoying this arc.
Keep Jeanist's being alive in the context of the chapter too - part of what the villains were saying against Hawks is that he murdered Jeanist. Dabi had turned the public against them, but Jeanist being alive contradicts his story. Hawks and Endeavor will still have some issues going forth, but Jeanist showing up at the end is a huge save against the public morale bottoming out and casts doubt on the rest of their speech.

What I am most curious about is the 99.9% DNA match to Endeavor or whatever. Assuming Viz isn't making mistranslations... that would imply he's an Endeavor clone and not his son. I'm guessing the author meant to show the DNA test is conclusive that he's the son but used the wrong terminology.

I'm guessing we're going to get more impassioned speeches next chapter, perhaps a rebut from Endeavor. As long as he doesn't die to the hug-the-villain-trope...

It also begs the question - what happened to Toya? Why were they unable to find him?
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

xandorxerxes wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:39 pm
Colep924 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:36 pm Endeavors cancelled, Hawks is probably cancelled, and Jeanist is alive? A little disappointing but still enjoying this arc.
Keep Jeanist's being alive in the context of the chapter too - part of what the villains were saying against Hawks is that he murdered Jeanist. Dabi had turned the public against them, but Jeanist being alive contradicts his story. Hawks and Endeavor will still have some issues going forth, but Jeanist showing up at the end is a huge save against the public morale bottoming out and casts doubt on the rest of their speech.

What I am most curious about is the 99.9% DNA match to Endeavor or whatever. Assuming Viz isn't making mistranslations... that would imply he's an Endeavor clone and not his son. I'm guessing the author meant to show the DNA test is conclusive that he's the son but used the wrong terminology.

I'm guessing we're going to get more impassioned speeches next chapter, perhaps a rebut from Endeavor. As long as he doesn't die to the hug-the-villain-trope...

It also begs the question - what happened to Toya? Why were they unable to find him?
For me Jeanist being alive is kind of a cop out. I don’t know why I feel that way but I do. Was hoping for this, “hero saturated society” to truly come crashing down.

I’m guessing the 99.9% is just manga bullshit, similar to Konans 600billion explosive papers in Naruto. If he was a clone I doubt he’d have the weakness of being burned by his own flames.

I don’t think Endeavors gonna die. He’s gotta face everyone, hero’s and citizens alike, after all these reveals. Everyone knew he was a dick, but now it’s been shown his a massive dick.

As for what happened to Toya.... your guess is probably better than mine.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Colep924 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:05 am
For me Jeanist being alive is kind of a cop out. I don’t know why I feel that way but I do. Was hoping for this, “hero saturated society” to truly come crashing down.

I’m guessing the 99.9% is just manga bullshit, similar to Konans 600billion explosive papers in Naruto. If he was a clone I doubt he’d have the weakness of being burned by his own flames.

I don’t think Endeavors gonna die. He’s gotta face everyone, hero’s and citizens alike, after all these reveals. Everyone knew he was a dick, but now it’s been shown his a massive dick.

As for what happened to Toya.... your guess is probably better than mine.
I have no doubt it's going to. It's practically screaming that Midoriya is going to be the one to stand it up again like All Might. The #1 and #2 are really flawed characters, and now the world knows it. Based on what Hawks as said, they're also really the only ones qualified to be heroes (though he doesn't include himself) in the truest sense. Jeanist was killed off-panel, and for the #3 to go down like that seems like a waste. If we had gotten more growth out of Bakugo because of it maybe, but I don't think the impact was really delved into.

Endeavor does have that weakness since he overheats - but since Toya's flames were stronger than his I really don't think it was intentional. His hair turning white also probably was an indicator of something wrong too. Agreed that Endeavor's definitely not going to die.

They said they found a fragment of his lower jawbone, but Dabi obviously has an intact jaw. His chin is burned to hell and back though and he does have the rings/stitches holding his skin together on his chin even though it's not attached to undamaged skin. I'm guessing someone stole him, but if that's the case I wonder if his flames going out of control were the culprit's fault too.

Edit: Before I forget again... looks like no chapter next week.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Guessing you're not going to like this chapter either...
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

I didn’t hate it. Happy to see Lemillion again, though that means any damage Deku got during this fight most likely won’t mean shit. Not that I want some bullshit, typical arc where he’s trying to get his arms back. I guess it feels like the hopeless situation is becoming rather hopeful...... thought he was gonna flip the script on your everyday Shonen nonsense.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

At the moment I'm thinking hollow failure of a victory. Machia's taken the drug and he's running out of steam, I think it's possible he's the only one captured from the villain-side. Probably a bunch of small fry and some Nomus, but probably no other big names unless Dabi just sticks around too long. He might also get captured on purpose if he thinks he'll have a better shot at hurting Endeavor, but I don't think he will.

Hero-side tries to restore faith by saying they caught the big guy and most of the minion army, public doesn't really buy it. Hawks/Endeavor are down for the count, Todoroki probably salvages something of Endeavor's image by confirming parts of Dabi's story and emphasizing progress he's made, new heroes are deterred by the loss of faith and hero/civilian casualties.

By definition it will have to get worse for Midoriya to eventually step up as the "Beacon of Hope" or whatnot, and it feels much too early in the series for that to be now. I'm not entirely sure what something worse would be at this point given that #s 1 and 2 are out/discredited, but I do think we can probably write off scenarios where the villains outright win though. Not that they're impossible, but I feel like usually those scenarios are where the good guys get rolled so they have something new to rise up against.

We could still have something like Shigaraki making a public announcement after he recovers a bit that puts this as a firm villain win, just not on combat superiority.
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

I could definitely see Machia getting captured. Between him and Shigaraki, the hero’s stand no chance. Shigaraki alone is capable of murdering just about all of them. Dabis gotta be halfway to BBQ right about now, so him being captured seems possible too. With shigarakis power he could free them both I bet no problem.

Yeah I’d say as far as public image the hero’s are fucked. Stain already set the stage for this. The League lost a majority, if not all of their army, but with Shigaraki being a straight up power house I can’t see anyone standing up to him. Theirs a select few that can fight him for a little, but he hasn’t even mastered AFO.

You mentioned it a while back, but it seems like any kind of development/struggle for the villains is gone. I wonder how this is all gonna play out. How much longer can this series last?
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Looks like one of my predictions is (finally) appearing to be correct. I guess we're about to see how strong Shoto's ice is, and Bakugo's hero name is... Bakugo-ish.

I did mention that we've developed a lot of the villains before, but after thinking about it more I think the author may be looking to develop them more along with the heroes. We've got:

1) Shigaraki who has to fight AFO's influence and grow into his new powers
2) Dabi who hasn't explained his past/how he lived and could still see growth in Endeavor
3) Toga who just seemed to find whatever answer she had been looking for
4) Spinner (lizard-y guy, to be developed)
5) Mr. Compass (mask guy, to be developed)

Looking at the wiki though, the League has lost more than half of their team, so it'd definitely be a rebuild. I guess they can just borrow some from the liberation army.
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

Don’t have much to say about this one, but did Bakugo just get a power up? I was under the impression AFO stole his quirk but I guess not.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Colep924 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:43 pm Don’t have much to say about this one, but did Bakugo just get a power up? I was under the impression AFO stole his quirk but I guess not.
I didn't get the impression he had his quirk stolen, just that he got impaled. I guess he technically did get a power-up, but it's done in the way that he's learning to harnass the panic-technique he used to save Midoriya. So he's faster now if he needs to be?
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

xandorxerxes wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:04 pm
Colep924 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:43 pm Don’t have much to say about this one, but did Bakugo just get a power up? I was under the impression AFO stole his quirk but I guess not.
I didn't get the impression he had his quirk stolen, just that he got impaled. I guess he technically did get a power-up, but it's done in the way that he's learning to harnass the panic-technique he used to save Midoriya. So he's faster now if he needs to be?
Didn’t AFO show interest in his quirk back in the rescue Bakugo/All Might vs AFO arc? Either way it’s weird that he wouldn’t want a destructive quirk like that. Though I guess given the circumstances that was the last thing on his mind.

But yeah from what I can tell it seems he’s not only realizing he can be faster, but he can have more power too. I’m sure eventually to keep Bakugo relevant in terms of Midoriya, his quirk will evolve similar to how Shivarakis did.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Colep924 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:52 am
xandorxerxes wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:04 pm
Didn’t AFO show interest in his quirk back in the rescue Bakugo/All Might vs AFO arc? Either way it’s weird that he wouldn’t want a destructive quirk like that. Though I guess given the circumstances that was the last thing on his mind.

But yeah from what I can tell it seems he’s not only realizing he can be faster, but he can have more power too. I’m sure eventually to keep Bakugo relevant in terms of Midoriya, his quirk will evolve similar to how Shivarakis did.
I'm guessing if he was in full control and not totally gassed he might have tried to steal it. I read it as AFO essentially using a "f-off" move instead of a calculated move to steal a quirk. I'll have to reread the chapter.
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

I’m really not sure what Compress just accomplished, how exactly did it save them? Mirios a beast going up against a Nomu one on one.