Boku No Hero Academia

Discuss any new manga chapters in here
xandorxerxes

Re: Boku No Hero Academia

Post by xandorxerxes »

Colep924 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:56 pm Yeah I was expecting it to be at least a couple chapters; but most panels I couldn’t make out was happening, and shit went down so fast. He must be setting up something big though.
Even if we assume that AFO gets stopped/defeated, releasing all of the maximum security prisoners would theoretically give the author a lot of future flexibility. If AFO isn't defeated (either full success or has to recover for a while) I think we get as close as possible to "villains run society" as we can without villains actually running it. In retrospect I think this is the better option, as then the author doesn't have to persuade us that a villain-run society can actually function.
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

Looks like that villain-run society just might happen
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Colep924 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:16 pm Looks like that villain-run society just might happen
Possible, feel like there's going to be the rough stability of more crime less heroes. Could definitely go full villain though.

Chapter felt pretty raw emotionally. Thought it was done pretty well overall.
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

xandorxerxes wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:53 pm
Colep924 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:16 pm Looks like that villain-run society just might happen
Possible, feel like there's going to be the rough stability of more crime less heroes. Could definitely go full villain though.

Chapter felt pretty raw emotionally. Thought it was done pretty well overall.
I feel the same way. Looking forward to seeing how this all plays out.
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

What do you think the chances are for a time skip?
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Colep924 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:36 am What do you think the chances are for a time skip?
tl;dr: who knows.

I'm torn. He's not even graduated UA, and he's supposed to be the next All-Might to the general population? I don't see it, but he also lead the fight against Shigaraki so what do I know. There's also the possibility that he doesn't actually take over for All-Might, but his class of UA (or the top few) in general do.

He's got a few more powers to develop, and a time skip is an easy way of having him glean them and practice them.

So essentially he's progressing REALLY fast, so I could see a time skip not being needed, but a time skip feels like the most plausible plot progression to me.

I think it depends on if the author wants to let the general "anti/meh-hero" sentiment settle in or if he wants the UA kids to be able to nip it in the bud. I like the kids having to overcome public sentiment and I think everyone's too young to assume the main hero role mantle so I'd like to see a timeskip (or a slow plot progression). Whether or not it actually happens, I couldn't say.
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

I was thinking if there’s gonna be a time skip Midoriya would be in a coma the whole time. That’d a pretty good way to halt is rapid progression, let Bakugo and the rest of em get ahead before they just can’t compete.
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

That was a great title for last weeks chapter. “The wrong way to put out a fire”
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Colep924 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:37 pm That was a great title for last weeks chapter. “The wrong way to put out a fire”
I was curious how much they were going to show - we managed to get the backstory that we pretty much already knew without giving us the tidbits (yet) of how Dabi got away/put out the fire. Doesn't really push forth the plot at all, but it's well done and serves as a nice break in the pace from all of the fight sequences.
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

I wonder what Dekus talking about with the predecessors. I’m guessing it’s gonna be a convo with Shigarakis grandma about Shigaraki. I’d like to see more of the original OFA user. Do you think Deku and Shigaraki will have some kind of connection from here on out, or will that be limited to when they’re in the vicinity of each other?
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Colep924 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:09 am I wonder what Dekus talking about with the predecessors. I’m guessing it’s gonna be a convo with Shigarakis grandma about Shigaraki. I’d like to see more of the original OFA user. Do you think Deku and Shigaraki will have some kind of connection from here on out, or will that be limited to when they’re in the vicinity of each other?
It could also be his "training sessions" to utilize the other quirks. A time skip without a time skip, if you will.

I don't think he'll be communicating with Shigaraki much unless they're in close proximity. It looks like the mental space or quirk space or wherever it is is shared between the two quirks, so if he attempts to contact Shigaraki he's going to get seen by AFO. AFO did know about the OFA predecessors though, so it seems he's either aware of or been in that space before with them (he fought them so I know he'd recognize them, but he wasn't surprised at all to see them show up in the mental space).

Shigaraki's quirk/backstory reminds me of that one comic where a kid's mutant power activates but it's to essentially be massively radioactive so he kills most of his entire town just by walking by.
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

I don’t think Midoriya will be training with them, I bet ittl be more of a talk with the predecessors. I could imagine a moment where Midoriya and Shigaraki have some kind mental connection, guess it would be hard for AFO not to hear it, but that could be even more interesting. I was never a huge fan of Shigarakis quirk and tbh I’m still not, however, I do like how all powerful he is. Makes him seem kinda scary.
Ice(v)an

Post by Ice(v)an »

Damn.. that was information overload lol
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Ice(v)an wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:26 am Damn.. that was information overload lol
Yeah, I'm still processing really.

The phrase "common person" threw me off for a hot minute because I had to make myself realize that the character we're supposed to sympathize with because they are like us (Deku) is actually the very rare exception.

I don't see why Deku has to be the last one though... why can't he just pass it on to someone who will also die early like all of the others? Knowing this context we do now, was Mirio actually a candidate to receive OFA? Feel like there was a not-insignificant amount of time Deku spent questioning himself because of that.
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

I’m confused is Midoriya safe from the “old age” thing? Also, is Yagi the original wielder of OFA?

I think Deku has to be last because all the other quirks are active. If someone who already has a quirk got it now it’d split them apart.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Colep924 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:28 am I’m confused is Midoriya safe from the “old age” thing? Also, is Yagi the original wielder of OFA?

I think Deku has to be last because all the other quirks are active. If someone who already has a quirk got it now it’d split them apart.
Midoriya is safe, correct - essentially having multiple quirks through artificial means breaks down your body faster. Someone like Todoroki I don't think will have such an issue since he was born with fire and ice. Yagi is All Might, he's the vapory-like one because he's still alive and it's actually his consciousness that's in there as opposed to quirk remnants.

Also that is correct on the last part - quirkless people are almost non-existant (if not non-existant) and finding a worthy heir that's quirkless is extremely unlikely. But OFA's 2-7 wielders all had quirks, so it's not an issue of can't - it's an issue of "are you willing to saddle a short life on someone to pass it down." I have 0 doubt that there are plenty of heroes who would be willing to trade a shortened life span to get OFA's power in order to save the world.
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

xandorxerxes wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:46 pm
Colep924 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:28 am I’m confused is Midoriya safe from the “old age” thing? Also, is Yagi the original wielder of OFA?

Midoriya is safe, correct - essentially having multiple quirks through artificial means breaks down your body faster. Someone like Todoroki I don't think will have such an issue since he was born with fire and ice. Yagi is All Might, he's the vapory-like one because he's still alive and it's actually his consciousness that's in there as opposed to quirk remnants.

Also that is correct on the last part - quirkless people are almost non-existant (if not non-existant) and finding a worthy heir that's quirkless is extremely unlikely. But OFA's 2-7 wielders all had quirks, so it's not an issue of can't - it's an issue of "are you willing to saddle a short life on someone to pass it down." I have 0 doubt that there are plenty of heroes who would be willing to trade a shortened life span to get OFA's power in order to save the world.
Well, I think if Midoriya were to pass OFA onto an “ordinary” person, because of how much it’s grown, and the fact that the predecessors quirks are now active, they wouldn’t be able to survive. It wouldn’t be about a shortened lifespan, but rather it’d be like placing an active grenade in a persons stomach. I think even for someone like Todoroki that’s be the case. It seems like he has multiple quirks, but really fire and ice are his one quirk. If not then Todoroki would probably have two “quirk factors” in OFA if he had been an inheritor.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Colep924 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:28 pm

Well, I think if Midoriya were to pass OFA onto an “ordinary” person, because of how much it’s grown, and the fact that the predecessors quirks are now active, they wouldn’t be able to survive. It wouldn’t be about a shortened lifespan, but rather it’d be like placing an active grenade in a persons stomach. I think even for someone like Todoroki that’s be the case. It seems like he has multiple quirks, but really fire and ice are his one quirk. If not then Todoroki would probably have two “quirk factors” in OFA if he had been an inheritor.
Sorry, I realize I wasn't clear - the Todoroki reference was just that he appeared to have two quirks. I was saying that wasn't an issue because he was born to carry them, so his body won't reject them or "overflow."

It's true that OFA has amassed a lot of power - but what if you put it in someone with a 'constitution' type quirk like regeneration, super strength, invulnerability, etc.?
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

xandorxerxes wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:44 pm
Colep924 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:28 pm

Sorry, I realize I wasn't clear - the Todoroki reference was just that he appeared to have two quirks. I was saying that wasn't an issue because he was born to carry them, so his body won't reject them or "overflow."

It's true that OFA has amassed a lot of power - but what if you put it in someone with a 'constitution' type quirk like regeneration, super strength, invulnerability, etc.?
Remember though, Todoroki can both overheat, and freeze. So with all those quirks I just think it would be too much. I truly think Midoriya is the last person who possibly have OFA.

As for the constitution/regeneration quirk, I still think they would experience the overflow. Not only from the multiple quirks, but also because of how powerful OFA is now.
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

Also, did any of us even mention the two users just facing the wall Blair witch style? What are your thoughts on that?