Boku No Hero Academia

Discuss any new manga chapters in here
xandorxerxes

Re: Boku No Hero Academia

Post by xandorxerxes »

Colep924 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:04 pm I’m really not sure what Compress just accomplished, how exactly did it save them? Mirios a beast going up against a Nomu one on one.
Freed them all from Jeanist. I really don't like the "here's a character, here's his convenient ability, here's his backstory, and now he's dead" trope. They may have shown his power before, I can't recall. Just frustrates me. If they've shown his power before and I just didn't remember it then that's on me and I'll be a lot more forgiving.

Yeah... Mirio seems like he'd have been a lot better than midoriya...
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

xandorxerxes wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:51 pm
Colep924 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:04 pm I’m really not sure what Compress just accomplished, how exactly did it save them? Mirios a beast going up against a Nomu one on one.
Freed them all from Jeanist. I really don't like the "here's a character, here's his convenient ability, here's his backstory, and now he's dead" trope. They may have shown his power before, I can't recall. Just frustrates me. If they've shown his power before and I just didn't remember it then that's on me and I'll be a lot more forgiving.

That much I knew, but what exactly does that accomplish? All of em are still there, Shigarakis out cold, Machias out cold and they’re surrounded by heroes. I don’t see how it’s gonna make a difference
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Colep924 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:34 pm
xandorxerxes wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:51 pm

That much I knew, but what exactly does that accomplish? All of em are still there, Shigarakis out cold, Machias out cold and they’re surrounded by heroes. I don’t see how it’s gonna make a difference
Based on the text, I think it's part 1 of 3 parts -

1) Free everyone
2) Cause a distraction while Spinner rouses Shigaraki
3) Shigaraki gets everyone else out

I got #2 from pages 8-9 - "I'll buy you five seconds to rouse the boss"
and #3 from a combination of page 12-13 "Daring escapes are my forte" and page 16-17 referring it to being "a performance" and in the last panels he's specifically throwing something at the ground (presumably the marble in his hand). I don't know if the marble is something he's previously compressed that he's whipping out like a batman gadget or if it's just an actual batman gadget/smoke bomb/whathaveyou that will help get them out. The very last panel being of Shigaraki also is a bit telling to me.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1008138

Chapter is out. Arc finally wraps up. Not sure how Midoriya isn't completely hosed in the near future, but I guess we'll see. He also gets another quirk, feels like they're accelerating. Wonder if the 4th ended up killing himself because of the pain.
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

Yeah I don’t know man he’s gaining these new quirks incredibly fast. He busted out the flight quirk with basically no training, and seems to be in full control of black whip. Apparently the creator said the series will be ending sooner rather than later, so I guess there isn’t much more to all this.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Colep924 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:50 pm Yeah I don’t know man he’s gaining these new quirks incredibly fast. He busted out the flight quirk with basically no training, and seems to be in full control of black whip. Apparently the creator said the series will be ending sooner rather than later, so I guess there isn’t much more to all this.
After rereading it, I think this was an OK introduction to the danger sense quirk. It didn't serve him any practical purpose like you'd expect from a spidey-sense, it just gave him a migraine. So it's less of a "here's a random convenient power you can use now" and more of an "ability unlocked" sort of thing. I can live with that. Still feels pretty rapid considering float just got thrown out there too, but I don't absolutely hate it. Float actually feels more forced to me at this point.

I hadn't seen anything on a timeline for it ending, though I think there's still a good bit to go. He's not able to materialize much of his body in OFA yet, and has only been shown with 3 of the 6 quirks. His body is going to be absolutely wrecked too. Based on previous timelines I'm guessing we're going to see some smaller, more light-hearted arcs (as light-hearted as they can be, at least) but I'm unsure on a time skip. Dealing with AFO feels somewhat pressing, but the heroes are wrecked and he's obviously not strong enough yet. Still not sure how they're going to resolve that aside from make Shigaraki fight off AFO for a long time.
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

xandorxerxes wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:56 am
Colep924 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:50 pm Yeah I don’t know man he’s gaining these new quirks incredibly fast. He busted out the flight quirk with basically no training, and seems to be in full control of black whip. Apparently the creator said the series will be ending sooner rather than later, so I guess there isn’t much more to all this.
After rereading it, I think this was an OK introduction to the danger sense quirk. It didn't serve him any practical purpose like you'd expect from a spidey-sense, it just gave him a migraine. So it's less of a "here's a random convenient power you can use now" and more of an "ability unlocked" sort of thing. I can live with that. Still feels pretty rapid considering float just got thrown out there too, but I don't absolutely hate it. Float actually feels more forced to me at this point.

I hadn't seen anything on a timeline for it ending, though I think there's still a good bit to go. He's not able to materialize much of his body in OFA yet, and has only been shown with 3 of the 6 quirks. His body is going to be absolutely wrecked too. Based on previous timelines I'm guessing we're going to see some smaller, more light-hearted arcs (as light-hearted as they can be, at least) but I'm unsure on a time skip. Dealing with AFO feels somewhat pressing, but the heroes are wrecked and he's obviously not strong enough yet. Still not sure how they're going to resolve that aside from make Shigaraki fight off AFO for a long time.
It’s not the execution of it that bothers me, honestly in my opinion this has been the best arc of the series, I’m just worried that too much is happening too soon. Even though Shigaraki doesn’t have full control, 90% of heroes still can’t stand up
to him. It feels like we have Sage Madara in the middle of the series.

There was no actual timeline given, but not too long ago he was saying My Hero can go on as long as One Piece. I never expected that, but it feels like there’s 300 chapter left at the most.
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

So what was actually said about the end, is that the next arc will be the end of a PART of the series. Looks like there’s a good chance of us getting some kind of time skip.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Multiple parts is all the rage apparently.

I can see that happening really soon, my biggest question would be if the AFO/Shigaraki conflict is going to be resolved before part 1 ends or not. I can see Midoriya wanting to save Shigaraki immediately (no idea how with his body totally trashed) and I can see using the AFO/Shigaraki contest as a means to stall for time like if they fell into a coma. I feel like the society revolving around heroes will stay shaken, Endeavor and Hawks are crazy-wounded for who knows how long, Toga can remain on her own if she wants to. The Endeavor/Dabi story is mostly resolved, the missing pieces can be filled in when it switches to Dabi/Shouto. Who knows what Spinner will ever do.

I could also see some scenario where AFO takes general control but can't really move Shigaraki's body well so he just sends out orders. With Endeavor and Hawks down I could see how the remnants could still cause general mayhem for society. Maybe not a "villains rule" sort of scenario, but one where the heroes don't necessarily have an upper hand - especially if the author has a bunch of them quit when being a hero starts being pretty unsafe.

Or... the author could just resolve everything in the next few chapters. I'm just spitballing possibilities I guess.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

I hadn't thought about the heroes developing PTSD, though I *think* I mentioned some of the more casual ones quitting before. Might be wrong remembering that.

Per usual, pretty much no one important died. Stragglers escaping means the league can reform on a much smaller scale. AFO doing what the logical next step is, I'm just not sure how the heroes are supposed to respond to it at this point. I assumed there'd be a plot contrivance of some sort to stall it, but I guess nope.
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

Yeah the only notable death was Midnight and I never cared for her character. AFO is definitely starting to grow on me, I wonder what his plans are though. Shigaraki has his quirk and the body of a Nomu. At this point he must be stronger than AFO
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Colep924 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:37 pm Yeah the only notable death was Midnight and I never cared for her character. AFO is definitely starting to grow on me, I wonder what his plans are though. Shigaraki has his quirk and the body of a Nomu. At this point he must be stronger than AFO
Maybe I missed something - isn't Shigaraki's consciousness suppressed in his own body?
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

xandorxerxes wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:44 pm
Colep924 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:37 pm Yeah the only notable death was Midnight and I never cared for her character. AFO is definitely starting to grow on me, I wonder what his plans are though. Shigaraki has his quirk and the body of a Nomu. At this point he must be stronger than AFO
Maybe I missed something - isn't Shigaraki's consciousness suppressed in his own body?

I’m really not sure but I think he’s just unconscious right now and AFO has the wheel. I always assumed his end goal with Shigaraki would be a new body, so I really have no clue as to why he’s breaking himself out so soon.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Colep924 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:28 pm
xandorxerxes wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:44 pm

I’m really not sure but I think he’s just unconscious right now and AFO has the wheel. I always assumed his end goal with Shigaraki would be a new body, so I really have no clue as to why he’s breaking himself out so soon.
Yeah, if he just needed a new body (Shigaraki's) I imagine he could just let his old body rot. So I guess he needs his old body to either fully transfer his consciousness, he has some artifact of some sort that wasn't found on him, or he didn't fully transfer AFO after all and needs to go get it.
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

Saw an interesting theory that predicts Endeavors gonna give up the hero life to pursue Dabi on his own terms, basically as a vigilante. I really love the idea, think it’s a great way to introduce vigilantism to the series. Aside from that spinoff I don’t think there’s been any vigilantes in MHA.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Colep924 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:59 am Saw an interesting theory that predicts Endeavors gonna give up the hero life to pursue Dabi on his own terms, basically as a vigilante. I really love the idea, think it’s a great way to introduce vigilantism to the series. Aside from that spinoff I don’t think there’s been any vigilantes in MHA.
Makes logical sense and he's a developed character, so moving him out of prime time works from a general manga trope sense as well.
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

Random thought. How likely do you think it would be for the original OFA user to take over Midoriyas body? Not permanently of course, but just to interact with his brother.
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero- ... ction=read

I couldn’t tell what was happening in most of the panels, that last one was awesome though
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

I think I'm understanding the chapter, but I don't think it flowed well from the last one. New setting introduced, described, then destroyed in one chapter didn't help.

- Maximum security island, multiple layers deep, worst guys at the bottom - got it.
- AFO Shigaraki somehow has set up a way to communicate with every prisoner in there despite him being restrained - OK.
- All of the prisoners break out (even the ones in restraints?) and there are no good countermeasures... kind of expected a "just flood the place" option but I guess that's pretty harsh.
- AFO/Shigaraki are still fighting with each other in his head.
- AFO's original body still moves and speaks on its own - and is now face to face with Shigaraki's body.

So if Shigaraki is going to make a play, I'm guessing it's about to happen Orochimaru/Sasuke style. If the villains recognize how strong AFO is and don't want to submit, they could all gang up on him but the author implied they can't get off the island without AFO. Kept referencing how badly Shigaraki's body is at the moment, so I'm guessing that'll come into play sooner rather than later.
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

Yeah I was expecting it to be at least a couple chapters; but most panels I couldn’t make out was happening, and shit went down so fast. He must be setting up something big though.