Dune 2020

xandorxerxes

Dune 2020

Post by xandorxerxes »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxRyZhX-wtQ

It's been a while since I read the book, so I didn't spot any major red flags.
San Goku

Re: Dune 2020

Post by San Goku »

Don't read books like you guys but this trailer looks good!
Cane_The9lives

Post by Cane_The9lives »

Noticeably missing from the cast list and obviously from the trailer is any trace of Feyd, I doubt they have even found an actor to play him yet.
Looks like he will be introduced in the second movie.

That trailer exceeded my expectations. I've taken down a few of my guards and allowed a little more hype to seep in...hopefully I don't come to regret that decision.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

I know nothing of Dune other than it being a series of books people really love and a movie from the 80s.
Cane_The9lives

Post by Cane_The9lives »

It's a rare blend of Science fiction, Politics, philosophy, ecology, theology and lest we forget.......BIG ASS SANDWORMS.
It's the gold standard of Sci-fi as high art, a concept that was unthinkable during the time period it was written.

I would definitely recommend reading the first three books in the series, or at the bare minimum the first book. After children of dune, it becomes more of a strained entreaty to diehard sci fi nerds and loyal fans. Dune as a standalone novel can subsist on its genius for generations to come without having to muster up the dedication required to get through some of the more ponderous installments.
Mongor

Post by Mongor »

Last edited by Mongor on Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Pretty much because of all of the things Cane listed, it's hard to translate out of book form. I imagine seeing the movie then reading the book would make one avoid disappointment, but it also means if the movie sucks you won't want to read the book... and that would mean you're missing out. I should reread it now that I think about it.
killacross

Post by killacross »

All I THINK I remember about it is that it is all about water conservation in the desert (sweating or bleeding for someone was a big deal)...and all about spice....and maybe too much spice turns your eyes blue