data recovery

ifeanyi84

data recovery

Post by ifeanyi84 »

my western digital passport died on me. I've been hunting for data recovery solutions that dont require me to spend a lot of money just for a chance that they might work. do you guys have any suggestions for me?
xandorxerxes

Re: data recovery

Post by xandorxerxes »

ifeanyi84 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:11 pm my western digital passport died on me. I've been hunting for data recovery solutions that dont require me to spend a lot of money just for a chance that they might work. do you guys have any suggestions for me?
Depends on how it died. Recovery solutions are definitely a "you get what you pay for" software. The other thing you could try doing is just getting it imaged. It really depends on how badly you want the data, because cheaper solutions could destroy the data instead. If it's just something like your documents folder, you could probably just hire a service as well - if you only needed something small I'm not sure they'd charge you like they would if you wanted the whole drive.

How sure are you the drive is dead, as opposed to the cables? Is it making noises?
ifeanyi84

Post by ifeanyi84 »

xandorxerxes wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:33 pm
ifeanyi84 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:11 pm my western digital passport died on me. I've been hunting for data recovery solutions that dont require me to spend a lot of money just for a chance that they might work. do you guys have any suggestions for me?
Depends on how it died. Recovery solutions are definitely a "you get what you pay for" software. The other thing you could try doing is just getting it imaged. It really depends on how badly you want the data, because cheaper solutions could destroy the data instead. If it's just something like your documents folder, you could probably just hire a service as well - if you only needed something small I'm not sure they'd charge you like they would if you wanted the whole drive.

How sure are you the drive is dead, as opposed to the cables? Is it making noises?
yeah. it makes spinning noises and beeps every so often. when i hook it up to my computer it doesnt register half the time. it asks me to reformat so i can use the disk.
killacross

Post by killacross »

...Best Buy geek squad pulled data off of an old internal laptop harddrive and put it on an external HDD I had years ago

I think it was only like a $50 service
eddieson

Post by eddieson »

I suggest taking it to a data recovery service place, or if it's one of those times where it registers with your computer to quickly back everything up on there. And after you get the data back up, to keep a copy on another drive to prevent that from happening again.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

I wished I paid someone back in the day (assuming I had money) to recover my old external hard drive.

It's all about the cloud these days I guess.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

San Goku wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:38 pm I wished I paid someone back in the day (assuming I had money) to recover my old external hard drive.

It is, but given the paranoid person I am I recommend encrypting anything you put up there first.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

xandorxerxes wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:24 pm
San Goku wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:38 pm I wished I paid someone back in the day (assuming I had money) to recover my old external hard drive.

It is, but given the paranoid person I am I recommend encrypting anything you put up there first.
You are right to be paranoid, if anything you are intelligently cautious. You can't trust no one.