There we go

Digital Masta
Posts: 353
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:56 pm

Re: There we go

Post by Digital Masta » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:04 am

xandorxerxes wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:19 pm


At least she had a will. Lots of nightmare stories about people who don't. Leaving it to 8 people pretty much says "cash it out and split it" to me, so she probably didn't want to (or didn't have the time to) assign things individually. I'm guessing the 2nd mortgage either gave her some cash that she could update the property with (so you'd recoup that in the sale), pay something else, or she did it just to lower her payments, which may have helped her afford things especially when the ALS came on.

Really I'm just trying to play advocate for your aunt. Obviously have no idea about your situation, and my condolences.
I just know that it put my uncle (her/my mom's brother) and my cousin (one of her other nephews (my mom was youngest of 8)) in a stressful situation because they were put in charge of her estate, lots of bills and things like that they started popping up that we all didn't know about and all that jazz. It was a bit of a mess that started almost 2 years ago and is finally winding down.

killacross
Posts: 406
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:00 am

Re: There we go

Post by killacross » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:43 am

A LOT of [if not most] people die with their finances in disarray...
The worst part is that usually...people come out of the woodworks and start demanding their cut. Money plus death really brings out the worst in people.

Our wills are pretty clear and clean...because again -- a lot of assets and 0 debt.

If my wife died suddenly....I would get a $900k insurance payout + 1.25x her salary. All of her stuff goes 100% to me. I would use that money to take care of my daughter and heal.

If I died suddenly....my wife would get a $900k insurance payout + 1.5x my salary. All of my stuff goes 100% to her. I am terrified that she would use that money to take care of her family (or that they would eventually ask and she would be like...I have soooooo much, I can help just this one time -- and the money is gone in 5 years).

If we both die...100% of our assets are sold and goes into a trust for our daughter. My wife wanted to have some nonsense about our families getting to sift through our stuff and keep what they wanted. I told her nah because they would try to keep everything like pack rats and the focus is on taking care of our DAUGHTER -- not anyone else.

The trust pays $12k/yr to the caregiver and pays all bills for my daughter (I can't remember how it was set up but it worked like a special needs child trust). At 18, the caregiver gets a $100k payment and my daughter gets payouts of 25% of the balance at 30, 35, 40, 45. She also has an UTMA (it will be at $75k in January - we're stopping at 100k next year) that becomes hers at 21 -- but I plan to hide it from her until she is 25 (little loophole because I want her to get the money AFTER college, if possible).


...I'm something of a control freak.

Digital Masta
Posts: 353
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:56 pm

Re: There we go

Post by Digital Masta » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:26 am

What if she doesn't go to college? Which honestly by the time she's of college age will probably be more and more likely unless she wants to go into a field that absolutely requires it.
killacross wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:43 am
A LOT of [if not most] people die with their finances in disarray...
The worst part is that usually...people come out of the woodworks and start demanding their cut. Money plus death really brings out the worst in people.

Our wills are pretty clear and clean...because again -- a lot of assets and 0 debt.

If my wife died suddenly....I would get a $900k insurance payout + 1.25x her salary. All of her stuff goes 100% to me. I would use that money to take care of my daughter and heal.

If I died suddenly....my wife would get a $900k insurance payout + 1.5x my salary. All of my stuff goes 100% to her. I am terrified that she would use that money to take care of her family (or that they would eventually ask and she would be like...I have soooooo much, I can help just this one time -- and the money is gone in 5 years).

If we both die...100% of our assets are sold and goes into a trust for our daughter. My wife wanted to have some nonsense about our families getting to sift through our stuff and keep what they wanted. I told her nah because they would try to keep everything like pack rats and the focus is on taking care of our DAUGHTER -- not anyone else.

The trust pays $12k/yr to the caregiver and pays all bills for my daughter (I can't remember how it was set up but it worked like a special needs child trust). At 18, the caregiver gets a $100k payment and my daughter gets payouts of 25% of the balance at 30, 35, 40, 45. She also has an UTMA (it will be at $75k in January - we're stopping at 100k next year) that becomes hers at 21 -- but I plan to hide it from her until she is 25 (little loophole because I want her to get the money AFTER college, if possible).


...I'm something of a control freak.
Honestly, everything you'd said about your wife's family indicates that they would definitely try to take advantage of your wife's feelings towards them and try to get every thing they could out of that situation. Potentially leaving your daughter with squat. And I feel terrible for saying that.

killacross
Posts: 406
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:00 am

Re: There we go

Post by killacross » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:07 pm

Digital Masta wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:26 am
What if she doesn't go to college? Which honestly by the time she's of college age will probably be more and more likely unless she wants to go into a field that absolutely requires it.
Honestly, everything you'd said about your wife's family indicates that they would definitely try to take advantage of your wife's feelings towards them and try to get every thing they could out of that situation. Potentially leaving your daughter with squat. And I feel terrible for saying that.
I meant at an age so that she is done with college...not that the money is tied to a degree. I would have to look...but I remember years ago...some girl called into a radio show, upset with her parents, that SHE squandered a college fund her grandparents put in place (something like $90k) on trips and clothes and nonsense etc etc...but still had 2-3 years left to complete her degree.

But anyway, we thought about that; which is why we chose an UTMA over a 529. A 529 can only be used for educational expenses or it will be taxed and penalized. The UTMA is literally like a trust fund. So 100k has ~20 years to grow and compound. I expect it to be closer to 4 or 500k by the time she can touch it. I think that will be a huge help when she's starting out her life in earnest in 2044.

...Just have to instill values for good money management, appreciating hard work, learning good judgement, and selecting a good mate.

I do think her family will come sniffing around...but I really believe my wife would sacrifice from "her" money (meaning she would say $1.5M..so $500k is mine and 1M is hers)...and wouldn't take from my daughter. In fact, I think she would go overboard and spoil her - just looking at the family dynamic between the sisters and the fact that I married the youngest sister.

xandorxerxes
Posts: 442
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:43 pm

Re: There we go

Post by xandorxerxes » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:11 pm

I've been avoiding talking politics, but holy shit can this rigged election nonsense die in a fire already.

killacross
Posts: 406
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:00 am

Re: There we go

Post by killacross » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:22 pm

It's got about 2 more weeks until Biden is sworn in... Then it'll die down. People have pretty short attention spans

San Goku
Posts: 576
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:41 am

Re: There we go

Post by San Goku » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:25 pm

xandorxerxes wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:11 pm

I've been avoiding talking politics
, but holy shit can this rigged election nonsense die in a fire already.
I'm proud of you. Yes he has no major evidence it needs to die down now.

killacross
Posts: 406
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:00 am

Re: There we go

Post by killacross » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:51 pm

so Mayweather and Paul are actually going to fight?! I definitely will not watch...but can't wait for the memes afterwards.

Digital Masta
Posts: 353
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:56 pm

Re: There we go

Post by Digital Masta » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:22 am

killacross wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:51 pm
so Mayweather and Paul are actually going to fight?! I definitely will not watch...but can't wait for the memes afterwards.
Mayweather is a god damn pro boxer, why is he wasting his time with this?

San Goku
Posts: 576
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:41 am

Re: There we go

Post by San Goku » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:29 am

Digital Masta wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:22 am
killacross wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:51 pm
so Mayweather and Paul are actually going to fight?! I definitely will not watch...but can't wait for the memes afterwards.
Mayweather is a god damn pro boxer, why is he wasting his time with this?
He loves money too much and couldn't resist the opportunity to make an easy buck. He has a lot more to lose. He's obviously is going to win, at least point wise. But Paul is a lot bigger, different weight class. That's a huge advantage, cause he knows how to box.

Digital Masta
Posts: 353
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:56 pm

Re: There we go

Post by Digital Masta » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:12 am

San Goku wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:29 am
Digital Masta wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:22 am
killacross wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:51 pm
so Mayweather and Paul are actually going to fight?! I definitely will not watch...but can't wait for the memes afterwards.
Mayweather is a god damn pro boxer, why is he wasting his time with this?
But Paul is a lot bigger, different weight class. That's a huge advantage, cause he knows how to box.
For this comment you get ALL the memes:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Oh..he knows how to box and is a bigger so he can totally take on one of the best boxers ever.

superbob
Site Admin
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:51 am

Re: There we go

Post by superbob » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:13 am

Digital Masta wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:22 am
killacross wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:51 pm
so Mayweather and Paul are actually going to fight?! I definitely will not watch...but can't wait for the memes afterwards.
Mayweather is a god damn pro boxer, why is he wasting his time with this?
$$$

he made over $100m from the mcgreggor fight, I can see this purse being about that same amount

San Goku
Posts: 576
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:41 am

Re: There we go

Post by San Goku » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:48 am

DM please of course you think I don't know that. I should have said the main reason what I left out. Floyd Mayweather has to deal with father time more now. Who knows when that will kick in. Although he's always been in amazing shape, that is the main concern.

Also, forgot to mention season 3 of Cobra Kai is out! Was moved up to Jan 1. Trying hard to paste myself, really so far.

killacross
Posts: 406
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:00 am

Re: There we go

Post by killacross » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:01 pm

San.. How long have you been in your career field? For sake of argument, let's say it's 10 rears.

Imagine a new grad comes in with the different, but still technical degree (pretty sure you have an engineering degree.. llike me)

After 6 months, your boss gives him a promotion and you now report to this new grad. Would you say.. Well... He has a degree and it's newer.. He may actually know more than me.

.. Hell, I've been in pharma for a decade. Imagine they hire me as your boss. Do you think I know more than you about your particular field?

Its the exact same here. Mayweather will pick this poor kid apart. Actually, a lot of REAL boxers who have done the work would pick him apart. So, imagine someone at the top of the game.

Digital Masta
Posts: 353
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:56 pm

Re: There we go

Post by Digital Masta » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:38 pm

San Goku wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:48 am
Also, forgot to mention season 3 of Cobra Kai is out! Was moved up to Jan 1. Trying hard to paste myself, really so far.
Watched the entire season in a day. Season 3 was a bit too melodramatic and some of the shit these kids do would get them all landed in jail. Somehow you can throw a kid through the window of a house and not get arrested. These kids do things way worse than what Johnny and Daniel were doing back in high school.

Kreese is sociopathic to the point of parody. But maybe that's what they are going for and want you to suspend your disbelief because he would easily be arrested.


EDIT: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co ... e-55471282

And so it begins.

Mongor
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:13 pm

Re: There we go

Post by Mongor » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:35 pm

Digital Masta wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:38 pm
EDIT: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co ... e-55471282

And so it begins.
It took me until this year to read 1984 despite it being on my "to do list" for a long time. A friend lent me their copy and I finished it just in time to return it to them before we went into lockdown in March. You should all read it. It's incredible and the insight is alarming. The book is brilliant but it did also scare me.

I don't deny that Covid is real and I am of course in favour of a vaccine - as surely everyone else is? Although I enjoy the entertainment of a conspiracy theory I don't subscribe to them so the anti-vaccine nonsense (broadly) is just that. In relation to Covid and the huge challenge it is for the entire world I think that keeping a register is a reasonable and logical measure to take. You could justify going even further. In times of crisis it makes sense to know who is exposed, where people are and what they're doing so that it can be contained and controlled... but that reeks of 1984.

I'm not even comfortable with the fact that my face is used to unlock my phone or the fact that my fingerprint is the backup. I hate the fact that it exists on a system somewhere and I do genuinely have concern for it. Elements from 1984 can be so easily justified and if more people read the book (which I found incredibly depressing) they may be slightly more sceptical or considered in the way they live their lives.

xandorxerxes
Posts: 442
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:43 pm

Re: There we go

Post by xandorxerxes » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:55 pm

Mongor wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:35 pm
It took me until this year to read 1984 despite it being on my "to do list" for a long time. A friend lent me their copy and I finished it just in time to return it to them before we went into lockdown in March. You should all read it. It's incredible and the insight is alarming. The book is brilliant but it did also scare me.

I don't deny that Covid is real and I am of course in favour of a vaccine - as surely everyone else is? Although I enjoy the entertainment of a conspiracy theory I don't subscribe to them so the anti-vaccine nonsense (broadly) is just that. In relation to Covid and the huge challenge it is for the entire world I think that keeping a register is a reasonable and logical measure to take. You could justify going even further. In times of crisis it makes sense to know who is exposed, where people are and what they're doing so that it can be contained and controlled... but that reeks of 1984.

I'm not even comfortable with the fact that my face is used to unlock my phone or the fact that my fingerprint is the backup. I hate the fact that it exists on a system somewhere and I do genuinely have concern for it. Elements from 1984 can be so easily justified and if more people read the book (which I found incredibly depressing) they may be slightly more sceptical or considered in the way they live their lives.
I've actually not read 1984, thought I'm very familiar with it. Data privacy is a huge passion of mine, so I could write you a treatise but I'll try to keep it short.

1) It's logical, reasonable, and helps ensure safety for other countries if someone tries to travel internationally (except EU with open borders...). It's also an absolutely terrible idea, just like voting online. How much data do you need to uniquely identify an individual? Do you store why they refuse the vaccine (e.g. health reasons) to distinguish those who can't take the vaccine from those who choose not to? Just a name obviously isn't good enough, but as soon as you have sensitive information you have to securely store it. There's nothing in Spain good enough to keep an APT/nation state out. I'd expect them to be compromised by at least 5 different countries off the top of my head almost immediately.

2) Those are actually stored locally on your phone, but there's another reason you shouldn't use them - police don't necessarily need probable cause to search your phone (border agents definitely don't). If you use facial recognition/fingerprint you're not protected by 5th amendment rights, you have to unlock it. Giving your password however can be considered self-incrimination (jury is still out on that though), but more importantly has the easy-out of "uh, I changed it the morning and I forgot it" or just miss-typing it however many times. It's not provable that isn't true, but you're going to sit there a while and they're probably still going to image your phone.

It's absolutely terrifying how much data Facebook, Google, and the ISPs have on you (and by proxy, the government). Not-amusing fact - police don't need warrants to buy data about people, so they don't bother getting warrants.

And this is already too long, sorry.

San Goku
Posts: 576
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:41 am

Re: There we go

Post by San Goku » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:52 pm

Digital Masta wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:38 pm
San Goku wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:48 am
Also, forgot to mention season 3 of Cobra Kai is out! Was moved up to Jan 1. Trying hard to paste myself, really so far.
Watched the entire season in a day. Season 3 was a bit too melodramatic and some of the shit these kids do would get them all landed in jail. Somehow you can throw a kid through the window of a house and not get arrested. These kids do things way worse than what Johnny and Daniel were doing back in high school.

Kreese is sociopathic to the point of parody. But maybe that's what they are going for and want you to suspend your disbelief because he would easily be arrested.


EDIT: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co ... e-55471282

And so it begins.
That's where Daniel's wife plays a crucial role cause she is often times the adult in the room and is like wtf is up with you grown ass men and your high school beef lol.

Oh boy, wouldn't be surprised if a civil war comes out of forcing people to take the vaccine.

killacross
Posts: 406
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:00 am

Re: There we go

Post by killacross » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:47 pm

there wont be any civil wars any time soon...people talk a big game -- but those same people are scared to pick up the phone or talk directly to a person face to face. They prefer to text or be tough behind a keyboard.. I work with them. They send out these really vile emails blaming everyone else...but when you go to their office and sit 4 ft away from them -- they are your best friends and are so agreeable and willing to go over-the-top to help


I thought that airline companies have already stated that you must be vaccinated to travel (internationally at least). I would assume that the idea of having the ID or pass that shows you have been vaccinated -- I saw it like positive vs negative rights

**EDIT**
forgot to add
I read 1984 so long ago that I forgot a lot of what it was about. I remember telescreens and thought police and new speak.

Another terrific read and oldie but goodie - Starship Troopers.
Last edited by killacross on Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

superbob
Site Admin
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:51 am

Re: There we go

Post by superbob » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:08 am

That phone call from trump was a big oof on his part... Not sure how that isn't federal election tampering

Post Reply