There we go

killacross

Re: There we go

Post by killacross »

Not really soured. Was never really a fan.. But like a lot of media personalities, hes become more and more blatantly biased as time has gone on.

His big thing/qualification was that he is black and gay before labels really mattered.
Cane_The9lives

Post by Cane_The9lives »

Digital Masta wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:29 pm Thanks peeps.

So...is there anyone in American media more smug and arrogant than Don Lemon?

Tucker Carlson.

Literally just 60 minutes of "Bring on a crazy guest and stare at them with a fixed dumbfounded expression, inject hyenic laughter mid sentence; rinse and repeat."

They're both turds but Tucker is smarter, he enjoys ridiculing his selectively stupid guests and is fully aware that his mastery of the strawman and his singular ability to dismantle any argument that buds from that trap has become a spectator sport.

Lemon's just an idiot.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

killacross wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:13 pm Not really soured. Was never really a fan.. But like a lot of media personalities, hes become more and more blatantly biased as time has gone on.

His big thing/qualification was that he is black and gay before labels really mattered.
It was a really bad joke. Lemons = sour.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Cane_The9lives wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:10 pm
Digital Masta wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:29 pm Thanks peeps.

So...is there anyone in American media more smug and arrogant than Don Lemon?

Tucker Carlson.

Literally just 60 minutes of "Bring on a crazy guest and stare at them with a fixed dumbfounded expression, inject hyenic laughter mid sentence; rinse and repeat."

They're both turds but Tucker is smarter, he enjoys ridiculing his selectively stupid guests and is fully aware that his mastery of the strawman and his singular ability to dismantle any argument that buds from that trap has become a spectator sport.

Lemon's just an idiot.
I'm a Tucker fan and yes he does take pleasure in winning an argument against lesser opponents. But he is willing to debate anyone, including people on his level. He constantly preaches having real debates from opposing sides and often sends out invites to people he doesn't agree with. So I can't really say he's an ass, but he's an asshole at times. Which is why I became a fan.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

San Goku wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:16 pm
I'm a Tucker fan and yes he does take pleasure in winning an argument against lesser opponents. But he is willing to debate anyone, including people on his level. He constantly preaches having real debates from opposing sides and often sends out invites to people he doesn't agree with. So I can't really say he's an ass, but he's an asshole at times. Which is why I became a fan.
Except he makes it up. Fox News literally argued in court that what he says shouldn't reasonably be taken as fact after he compared Cohen's payouts to extortion.
Under New York State defamation law, the entire case essentially hinges upon whether or not a reasonable viewer would have thought that Carlson was actually accusing McDougal of a crime.

Fox News attempted to argue exactly the opposite in court on Wednesday–insisting the controversial host was simply employing First Amendment-protected hyperbole and that a reasonable viewer would have, in fact, clearly understood the host’s rhetorical device.
“It’s not the front page of the New York Times,” Murphy continued. “It’s Tucker Carlson Tonight. It is a commentary show. Where you’re going to hear opinion and spirited debate.”
While discussing what constitutes reckless disregard for the truth in regard to the actual malice standard, Judge Vyskocil asked Murphy, "Does somebody in Mr. Carlson’s position have the duty of inquiry?"

Murphy replied, "Not as to an actual malice standard. The Supreme Court could not be clearer." She argued malice isn't a negligence standard, and "failure to investigate" the truth of a statement doesn't suffice.
Therefore:

1) He doesn't have to speak facts and no one should reasonably believe his commentary as factual
2) He doesn't validate what he says on his show
3) Whatever your views on the NYT, Fox News is explicitly saying that he is not to be compared to them and should not be held to their standard.

For context, the plaintiff's arguments are made around this statement Tucker made while calling the plaintiff an extortionist:
"Remember the facts of the story; these are undisputed."
It's incredibly similar to the arguments made in a Rachel Maddow case which ultimately got tossed, so we should probably expect a similar ruling. This is why I tend to avoid "commentators" with a 10 foot pole.

tl;dr - Fox News says that Tucker Carlson's statements shouldn't be taken as fact and that he has no need to validate any statements he makes before making them.
killacross

Post by killacross »

I agree but there is a big difference...
Tucker Carlson
Sean Hannity
Glenn Beck
Rush Limbaugh
...they are all entertainers/commentators -- not journalist. They say that in one breath...but then talk about facts the next

Don Lemon
Wolfe Blitzer
Brian Selter
Keith Oberman
Chris Cuomo

etc etc etc all say they are fair, objective, trustworthy journalists/reporters....but pretty much it's been Orange man bad for 3 yrs

personally...I dislike them all. The closest thing that I may listen to regularly when bored is Steven Crowder (just because I find his humor funny, and I like the change my mind pieces) or maybe get a Ben Shapiro hot take on current events
eddieson

Post by eddieson »

killacross wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:01 am Ooooooh!!...I didn't know Ed was Black -- mah nigga!!
I thought he was talking about me and San or San and DM...

...speaking of which....DM, we need an update!!
You, me, San, DM, llian, fresh1, solitaire and a few more were the black people on tal/nm.

Also whenever I want some unbiased news I just go to the news hour on pbs.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

killacross wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:33 am ...they are all entertainers/commentators -- not journalist. They say that in one breath...but then talk about facts the next
First part agreed, second part (facts) not so much. That's pretty much what Fox argued in court is - that they what they say shouldn't be taken as fact.

I read all of my news, so I can't comment on any of the other people. While I'm certainly willing to believe that there is bias - even strong bias - there's also another facet to 3 years of 'orange man bad.' The orange man is actually bad, but all of the reporting of him being bad has just ingrained the notion of "they're just making that up/saying that to hurt Trump."

To be fair to Trump, a lot of the negativity around him wouldn't be there if the Senate would just do their job and keep the executive in check. They're not, he's rapidly expanding his power and in doing so is taking all of the blame for it too. They're his policies and he should be blamed for them, but they're only able to be executed because the Legislative enables it.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

It's funny speaking of Don Lemon. I watched a clip on CNN with him and Blakes mom. She said Trump is a great leader and doing great for the country. Lemon couldn't even hide his disapproval and rage towards her comment even though he didn't say anything.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

xandorxerxes wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:44 pm
killacross wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:33 am ...they are all entertainers/commentators -- not journalist. They say that in one breath...but then talk about facts the next
First part agreed, second part (facts) not so much. That's pretty much what Fox argued in court is - that they what they say shouldn't be taken as fact.

I read all of my news, so I can't comment on any of the other people. While I'm certainly willing to believe that there is bias - even strong bias - there's also another facet to 3 years of 'orange man bad.' The orange man is actually bad, but all of the reporting of him being bad has just ingrained the notion of "they're just making that up/saying that to hurt Trump."

To be fair to Trump, a lot of the negativity around him wouldn't be there if the Senate would just do their job and keep the executive in check. They're not, he's rapidly expanding his power and in doing so is taking all of the blame for it too. They're his policies and he should be blamed for them, but they're only able to be executed because the Legislative enables it.

You continually have this idea that Trump is uniquely bad, he's not. (And no I don't want the list you're about to post about how he's uniquely worse) He's been continuing the overall trend over the past 40 years of the executive branch overstepping and pulling more and more power into itself because Congress refuses to do anything. (It's actually similar to the Judicial branch also pulling more and more power into itself) The reason they don't do anything is because it allows them (in their minds) to shift blame and it allows them to use that same power and expand it further when their guy is in.

Remember...these people don't care about you! There are like 3 honest politicians in Washington. You're much more likely to find politicians that care on the local level because they actually live in the community.

Which is why we just gotta build that wealth people so that all this shit won't matter because we can just peace the fuck out.
killacross

Post by killacross »

eddieson wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:56 pm You, me, San, DM, llian, fresh1, solitaire and a few more were the black people on tal/nm.

I knew me, DM, Marlie, and Delph (and I think Ice)
.. Didn't know about San until last year
.. And now you this year
Last edited by killacross on Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Digital Masta wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:13 pm You continually have this idea that Trump is uniquely bad, he's not. (And no I don't want the list you're about to post about how he's uniquely worse) He's been continuing the overall trend over the past 40 years of the executive branch overstepping and pulling more and more power into itself because Congress refuses to do anything. (It's actually similar to the Judicial branch also pulling more and more power into itself) The reason they don't do anything is because it allows them (in their minds) to shift blame and it allows them to use that same power and expand it further when their guy is in.

Remember...these people don't care about you! There are like 3 honest politicians in Washington. You're much more likely to find politicians that care on the local level because they actually live in the community.

Which is why we just gotta build that wealth people so that all this shit won't matter because we can just peace the fuck out.
That's what I was getting at in the last paragraph - legislative complacency. There are other reasons that make him uniquely bad, but a) I won't go into them since you asked me not to and b) he's A problem but not THE problem, just the manifestation of the problem.

State level politicians don't care either - at least not in the states I end up reading about (especially you, TN) - and the problem is that their authority supercedes the actual local levels. When was the last time a majority of constituents knew who they elected at the local level anyways?

It's all fucked and I hate every bit of it.
killacross

Post by killacross »

xandorxerxes wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:44 pm

I read all of my news, so I can't comment on any of the other people. While I'm certainly willing to believe that there is bias - even strong bias - there's also another facet to 3 years of 'orange man bad.' The orange man is actually bad, but all of the reporting of him being bad has just ingrained the notion of "they're just making that up/saying that to hurt Trump.
We actually agree on both parts. Maybe I should've said they talk about " facts" the next

... And everyone loves the power grab if their candidate is winning
Last edited by killacross on Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

^^ I can't really blame Kamala for being power hungry, cause I want power myself. :)
eddieson

Post by eddieson »

killacross wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:51 pm
eddieson wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:56 pm You, me, San, DM, llian, fresh1, solitaire and a few more were the black people on tal/nm.

.. And now you this year
Oh I forgot about Marlie. And San mentioned being black like 3 or 4 years ago but nobody really counted it cause he's Canadian.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

killacross wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:03 pm
We actually agree on both parts. Maybe I should hbe said they talk about " facts" the next

... And everyone loves the power grab if their candidate is winning
My bad on miss-reading it then, apologies.

Perk to hating everything is that I get to hate it when everyone does it, I guess.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

eddieson wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:53 am

.. And now you this year
Oh I forgot about Marlie. And San mentioned being black like 3 or 4 years ago but nobody really counted it cause he's Canadian.
smh lol
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Sounds like Trump did well in his speech cause I didn't hear any crazy bashing in the morning by the media like normal.
eddieson

Post by eddieson »

San Goku wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:13 pm
eddieson wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:53 am

.. And now you this year
smh lol
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

Well, the new gf liked me before but after last night she REALLY likes me. 8-)