There we go

xandorxerxes

Re: There we go

Post by xandorxerxes »

ames wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:45 am ooooh so i should pull my money out before it burst and burns right?
xandorxerxes wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:57 am
killacross wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:08 pm Joe Biden...wtgdf are you doing to my stock market?!?!
General sentiment is that we're in a bubble, so investors are pulling back. Except... Gamestop.
Timing the market almost never works, especially if you're not a professional trader. In theory something could happen (e.g. government action) that props the market up until it's somehow not a bubble and you lose out on value, or people in general just never go bearish enough for it to fully tank. But unless something like 2008 happens again with banks imploding I can't imagine another huge dip that doesn't bounce pretty quick.
killacross

Post by killacross »

@XX I know.. Just being facetious

We won't have huge dips like that because the changed the algorithms to just shut down the markets before they tank.

Meaning that the value can drop significantly (which in my financial situation - I hope it does for personal, greedy reasons...) ...just not overnight like it did a decade+ ago
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

superbob wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:57 am
San Goku wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:55 am
Dude it was literally on its way to $1000 yesterday. It was $500 premarket.
Sell orders set at $2600 started to fill yesterday morning before they shut everything down and forced it back down, it was about to blast off.
Cane_The9lives wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:18 am Occupy Wall street bro's sitting at home watching all this confused all to hell, thinking to themselves: "Wait, so we're not smelly hippies anymore?
Occupy wall street wishes they had the power that the current GME situation has. WSB has cost hedge funds about $20 billion so far
$2600 Sell orders were filling? That's freaking legendary! Lol
killacross

Post by killacross »

the media cycle is so weird. Why are they suddenly turning the /WSB guys into heroes? They are just a bunch of dudes that are trolling...and are likely going to get rich behind it.

In the end...I doubt it works out well for anyone involved.

I always think back to the open letter Mojang/Notch (MineCraft creator) wrote about getting billions when it sold to M$ and how the sudden wealth just alienated and isolated him from friends and family. I figure something similar happens here. They eventually cash out...get taxed a ton...then either spend their time paranoid about losing it all...or spend it searching for that next big lick
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

killacross wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:20 am the media cycle is so weird. Why are they suddenly turning the /WSB guys into heroes? They are just a bunch of dudes that are trolling...and are likely going to get rich behind it.

In the end...I doubt it works out well for anyone involved.

I always think back to the open letter Mojang/Notch (MineCraft creator) wrote about getting billions when it sold to M$ and how the sudden wealth just alienated and isolated him from friends and family. I figure something similar happens here. They eventually cash out...get taxed a ton...then either spend their time paranoid about losing it all...or spend it searching for that next big lick
This is probably true but the main thing is its the elite hedge fund billionaires getting trolled and it's the little guy sticking it to them using their rules. It was fucking hilarious to seeing people on the news call for more regulations. Since when was that a good thing for rich. GME was literally on its way to $1000 on Thursday before they cheated.
killacross

Post by killacross »

you realize that's not how statistics work right? Of all the hedgefunds that are getting crushed by this...I bet there are probably <10 billionaires or $1B/yr types involved. I bet there are <50 people making $500k+/involved involved...then I bet there are a ton of $100-$200k/yr people involved
statistically...they make up such a small percentage of the overall population that it is impossible that they are really getting hurt.
...essentially, the WSB guys caught these large companies with their pants down...it isn't some grandiose commentary on the financial markets that people are making it out to be

Now it is absolute horseshit that the companies are changing the rules mid game -- but I guarantee it is in the fine print of the user agreement that no one ever reads. Truthfully, I'd rather see the companies do it vs ANOTHER government agency stepping in and regulating
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

killacross wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:45 pm you realize that's not how statistics work right? Of all the hedgefunds that are getting crushed by this...I bet there are probably <10 billionaires or $1B/yr types involved. I bet there are <50 people making $500k+/involved involved...then I bet there are a ton of $100-$200k/yr people involved
statistically...they make up such a small percentage of the overall population that it is impossible that they are really getting hurt.
...essentially, the WSB guys caught these large companies with their pants down...it isn't some grandiose commentary on the financial markets that people are making it out to be

Now it is absolute horseshit that the companies are changing the rules mid game -- but I guarantee it is in the fine print of the user agreement that no one ever reads. Truthfully, I'd rather see the companies do it vs ANOTHER government agency stepping in and regulating
It's not that they're changing the rules, they're changing how the market actually operates. They're pausing trading for no reason except to screw over the people throwing money at the stock. If a few certain people can literally control market results then the entire system is compromised.

WSB was really doing it just to screw over a few people, and they've largely succeeded. Funds will recoup their losses eventually when this does crash down, but the ones they were targeting were done successfully.
San Goku wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:26 am This is probably true but the main thing is its the elite hedge fund billionaires getting trolled and it's the little guy sticking it to them using their rules. It was fucking hilarious to seeing people on the news call for more regulations. Since when was that a good thing for rich. GME was literally on its way to $1000 on Thursday before they cheated.
The problem is that the bigger hedge funds aren't impacted, it's the smaller traders that can't keep up (e.g. Robinhood) and so they're getting bought out by the bigger ones. In the end it's making the problem worse, not better.
killacross

Post by killacross »

RIP Screech
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

That's a bad way to go.
killacross

Post by killacross »

I disagree... Quick and painless por favor

Like a shot to the back of the head
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

He started chemo, apparently his best case scenario was about a year to live. Don't blame him one bit for going hospice instead of more chemo.
superbob
Site Admin

Post by superbob »

From what I read, he basically got the diagnosis of stage 4 lung cancer in multiple organs... at that point it's pretty much over
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

superbob wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:52 am From what I read, he basically got the diagnosis of stage 4 lung cancer in multiple organs... at that point it's pretty much over
Yep, and it was also small cell lung cancer which has a pretty high mortality rate even if it hasn't spread.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Crazy, I remember when he was talking about not being in the reunion and he apologized to his old cast mates and talked about wanting a family. He probably knew at that time Mario Lopez was interviewing him.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

If you want an interesting international movie to watch check out this Indian/Bollywood movie White Tiger on Netflix.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

San Goku wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:22 pm If you want an interesting international movie to watch check out this Indian/Bollywood movie White Tiger on Netflix.
I checked out the trailer - might see the movie. Is there more to it than the "I'm tired of being walked on, I'm going to be awesome now?" Yes/No is fine, no spoilers!

Speaking of movies, did anyone watch Hardcore Henry when it came out years ago? If so, was it worth watching?
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

xandorxerxes wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:02 pm
San Goku wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:22 pm If you want an interesting international movie to watch check out this Indian/Bollywood movie White Tiger on Netflix.
I checked out the trailer - might see the movie. Is there more to it than the "I'm tired of being walked on, I'm going to be awesome now?" Yes/No is fine, no spoilers!

Speaking of movies, did anyone watch Hardcore Henry when it came out years ago? If so, was it worth watching?
Yes, a whole bunch of stuff is involved
killacross

Post by killacross »

xandorxerxes wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:02 pm Speaking of movies, did anyone watch Hardcore Henry when it came out years ago? If so, was it worth watching?
I watched it when it came to RedBox years ago...It was a very weird movie. But the whole Mirror's Edge (1st person POV/parkour/gun fight - it presents very much like a video game..I don't remember much dialogue from the main character (as if they were putting you in his shoes and the other cast talks TO you)) thing of it all was new and cool and different. I wouldn't watch it a second time. 3/10. It was later that I found out it was an imported Russian movie.
Last edited by killacross on Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Elections have consequences, Fox Business canned Lou Dobbs. He had the highest ratings apparently, didn't know that. Don't really care too much for him. I watched him a bit in the past.

Edit

Another show I like (based on first ep) is Kevin Costner starting in Yellowstone. I used to live up North that had a large native community so I'm a bit drawn to it.