There we go

killacross

Re: There we go

Post by killacross »

ugh!! I think I am quitting my job by the end of June. I can't take it anymore. Just the dumbest fucking shit on the planet.

I have a lot of rules/tips/tricks that I live by. The one that comes to mind here are that there are 4 types of jobs:

#1: Good people, good job - you'd stay forever
#2: Good people, bad job - you can have an extended stay
#3: Bad people, good job - you won't stay long at all
#4: Bad people, bad job - you won't last a year

This company has changed from a #2...to a #4. The people that I cared about have either quit, transferred out, or died. The dept was gradually back filled with weirdos. Now I sit in a completely different building...surrounded by my Yes Man boss, my masculine direct boss (Ms Oatmeal)...and a gaggle of 20-something year old, sycophants who are just excited to have a job outta college.

The question is do I take a break and have a gap on the resume?...or just line up something quick and gut it out for the next few years to retire permanently?

Funny thing is...and not sure if I shared this a few weeks back when it happened. I had messaged Ms Thickums randomly one day and just said...how are things going?...bet you're doing great because you were awesome to work with -- or something of the sort...She messaged back some nonsense about how she was ready to quit but asked the universe for a sign. And I came through for her...and she was energized and confident again.

I was at work this morning and thought...why doesn't the universe ever shower me with signs? Then my bank contacted me to say my CC info had been compromised and they were trying to authorize $1800 worth of shit.

#Blessed
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

killacross wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:14 pm The question is do I take a break and have a gap on the resume?...or just line up something quick and gut it out for the next few years to retire permanently?
I took a bunch of time off. People I actively interviewed with never had an issue with the gap, but who knows if it screened me from any initial interviews. If the place you might work at truly cares that you've been working non-stop forever, do you really want to work there?
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Thank God, season 2 of Kimetsu no Yaiba trailer is out.

Airs this October: https://youtu.be/2MKkj1DQ0NU
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

killacross wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:14 pm ugh!! I think I am quitting my job by the end of June. I can't take it anymore. Just the dumbest fucking shit on the planet.

I have a lot of rules/tips/tricks that I live by. The one that comes to mind here are that there are 4 types of jobs:

This company has changed from a #2...to a #4. The people that I cared about have either quit, transferred out, or died. The dept was gradually back filled with weirdos. Now I sit in a completely different building...surrounded by my Yes Man boss, my masculine direct boss (Ms Oatmeal)...and a gaggle of 20-something year old, sycophants who are just excited to have a job outta college.

The question is do I take a break and have a gap on the resume?...or just line up something quick and gut it out for the next few years to retire permanently?

Funny thing is...and not sure if I shared this a few weeks back when it happened. I had messaged Ms Thickums randomly one day and just said...how are things going?...bet you're doing great because you were awesome to work with -- or something of the sort...She messaged back some nonsense about how she was ready to quit but asked the universe for a sign. And I came through for her...and she was energized and confident again.

I was at work this morning and thought...why doesn't the universe ever shower me with signs? Then my bank contacted me to say my CC info had been compromised and they were trying to authorize $1800 worth of shit.

#Blessed
I still think the universe is telling you to start your own thing, whatever that may be. You have to figure that out but I think that's the sign.

Eternals trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WVDKZJkGlY

This is gonna be Marvel's first true flop (if Shang Chi isn't) or the closet thing to it, diversity...the movie. But really it's more because nobody knows who the Eternals are and nobody cares. Not even comic book fans care about the Eternals. The Eternals are like the Nate Dogg of the Marvel universe, they are great when they are featured in other people's comic books but kinda suck on their own.

Guardians of the Galaxy weren't super well-known when it came out but they definitely had a base. I'd know about the Guardians (the original one at least) since I was about 7 years old and the combination of their cast and the unique look of the film and the great soundtrack got people interested.

This one is just...meh. Without Iron Man, without Captain America, without the magic of the first 3 phases, Marvel is done.

Just to nitpick, why change their origins from being an offshoot of humanity created by Celestials to being aliens created by the Celestials. The whole thing about the Celestials having their hand in human evolution is what led to humans having such a penchant for developing abilities. Also, it would connect them more to baseline humans if they were all originally one race of people that were then separated by the experiments of the Celestials.

EDIT: Bruh...did you see that American army ad vs the Russian army ad? Both are propaganda but if you're gonna recruit for the military, Russia is doing it the right way. I know I've said it before but American society is so done.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Digital Masta wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:33 pm
killacross wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:14 pm ugh!! I think I am quitting my job by the end of June. I can't take it anymore. Just the dumbest fucking shit on the planet.

#Blessed
I still think the universe is telling you to start your own thing, whatever that may be. You have to figure that out but I think that's the sign.

Eternals trailer:

This is gonna be Marvel's first true flop (if Shang Chi isn't) or the closet thing to it, diversity...the movie. But really it's more because nobody knows who the Eternals are and nobody cares. Not even comic book fans care about the Eternals. The Eternals are like the Nate Dogg of the Marvel universe, they are great when they are featured in other people's comic books but kinda suck on their own.

Guardians of the Galaxy weren't super well-known when it came out but they definitely had a base. I'd know about the Guardians (the original one at least) since I was about 7 years old and the combination of their cast and the unique look of the film and the great soundtrack got people interested.

This one is just...meh. Without Iron Man, without Captain America, without the magic of the first 3 phases, Marvel is done.

Just to nitpick, why change their origins from being an offshoot of humanity created by Celestials to being aliens created by the Celestials. The whole thing about the Celestials having their hand in human evolution is what led to humans having such a penchant for developing abilities. Also, it would connect them more to baseline humans if they were all originally one race of people that were then separated by the experiments of the Celestials.

EDIT: Bruh...did you see that American army ad vs the Russian army ad? Both are propaganda but if you're gonna recruit for the military, Russia is doing it the right way. I know I've said it before but American society is so done.
I had to look up the army recruitment video smfh: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfe6d6MzeLM

I'm joining the Chinese army. Thank God I seen a different look when I had the chance to spend time on a U.S base in Japan.

Love the Nate Dogg comparison, I understand that lol
killacross

Post by killacross »

Digital Masta wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:33 pm I still think the universe is telling you to start your own thing, whatever that may be. You have to figure that out but I think that's the sign.

Eternals trailer:

I don't know where to start...so I wouldn't throw money at it - because then that forces me to HAVE to work if it is gone.

Essentially...my plan is to work the next 4 years - to be able to COMFORTABLY retire at 40 (because I can quit now and all of our needs are easily met/paid). That will also mean my daughter is 6 and will be in school. My wife will probably continue working because she wasn't raised to be the homemaker type. I think I will pick up expensive hobbies (I still want to build a boat!)...and may pick up a career to put 100% of the income into rental houses. After I get 3-4 of them...I'll quit permanently and just be a busybody landlord who is on top of his shit. I enjoy [maybe even love] doing carpentry and handyman stuff...it just doesn't pay enough.

As far as Marvel -- I think Phase 4 is ALL gonna catch a Redbox special...I'm not interested in ANY of the titles.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

I'm sure Marvel will make the Eternals good, tie in the Celestials. Maybe see some Galactus and Silver Surfer.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Digital Masta wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:33 pm EDIT: Bruh...did you see that American army ad vs the Russian army ad? Both are propaganda but if you're gonna recruit for the military, Russia is doing it the right way. I know I've said it before but American society is so done.
San Goku wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:03 am I had to look up the army recruitment video smfh: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfe6d6MzeLM

I'm joining the Chinese army. Thank God I seen a different look when I had the chance to spend time on a U.S base in Japan.

I agree the others look much better, but keep in mind that for decades the US military ads were just like those and they weren't working. The military literally had to trick young people into joining (seriously, don't ever go near a recruitment center). In the end the military is going to do whatever it takes to get people to enlist, and if going 'woke' is more effective than machismo they're going to go for it.

Tl;Dr - badass ads are worthless if no one joins because of them.
Colep924

Post by Colep924 »

Who here invests in stocks?
killacross

Post by killacross »

Index funds.. With tons of 0's
... What's up?

And I assume the ads are targeted to promote more diversity in the military

.. Then they'll change the rules more to lower the standard for the typical grunt after more people "complain" about it not being fair
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Colep924 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:43 pm Who here invests in stocks?
Are you looking at a particular vehicle, or individual ones?
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Some of the comments in military ad vid were hilarious.

I've been trading mostly options, made some money then lost a ton of it. Never done index funds (unless you count through my employer benefit plan). I trade stocks too.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

xandorxerxes wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:27 pm
Digital Masta wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:33 pm EDIT: Bruh...did you see that American army ad vs the Russian army ad? Both are propaganda but if you're gonna recruit for the military, Russia is doing it the right way. I know I've said it before but American society is so done.
San Goku wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:03 am I had to look up the army recruitment video smfh: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfe6d6MzeLM

I agree the others look much better, but keep in mind that for decades the US military ads were just like those and they weren't working. The military literally had to trick young people into joining (seriously, don't ever go near a recruitment center). In the end the military is going to do whatever it takes to get people to enlist, and if going 'woke' is more effective than machismo they're going to go for it.

Tl;Dr - badass ads are worthless if no one joins because of them.
The thing is, your job is to kill people. At its core, your job when you join is to either kill people or support people that kill people. Honestly for the overall health of a military you want to attract people that fundamentally understand that. You don't want to attract people that "want a new adventure" because their sorority sisters studied abroad in Italy and climbed Everest.

I'm just curious btw. I wholeheartedly believe that women have no place in ground combat/infantry positions in the military. They can be drone pilots or even fighter pilots but as far as the on-the-ground shooting and killing I don't think it's particularly conducive to an effective military unit. Of course, there are other roles that women can do in the military very well that aren't related to that aspect of it. For example, the 2 moms woman in the video operates those missiles. I know this makes me a terrible person but what do you guys think of it?

Anyway...

So guys...guess what?

The pilot of the live-action Powerpuff girls was so bad that CW is gonna "re-work" it. As opposed to just throwing it in the trash like they used to do with failed pilots. And the script has leaked "allegedly" but the person who originally leaked it had it removed because of "leaking of unaired tv show" and it is even worse than we imagined.

Here are some gems:

https://twitter.com/UE_UpperEchelon/sta ... edly-leaks

This 2nd one if really fucked up

https://twitter.com/__RiseAgain__/statu ... 0578352129

They actually accuse the ORIGINAL show of "whitewashing" them. I'd be fucking furious if I were Craig McCracken (creator of the PPG). They went out of their way to take a dump on the very reason this abomination even exists.

Eric July often talks about this in relation to comic book adaptations but it applies to any adapted property, these are vanity projects. They don't care about respecting the source material. Hell, Kevin Feige is now at a point where he has basically said it. They do not care about the source, they just want to use a popular or beloved platform to inject all of their vain social views/politics into.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Digital Masta wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:19 am I'm just curious btw. I wholeheartedly believe that women have no place in ground combat/infantry positions in the military. They can be drone pilots or even fighter pilots but as far as the on-the-ground shooting and killing I don't think it's particularly conducive to an effective military unit. Of course, there are other roles that women can do in the military very well that aren't related to that aspect of it. For example, the 2 moms woman in the video operates those missiles. I know this makes me a terrible person but what do you guys think of it?
Depends on why you don't want them there. I've seen 3 arguments and I haven't found any of them particularly compelling:

1) They'll be a "distraction" in the field. This one was proven to be only an issue to people who weren't in the military (they're more of a distraction on-base apparently).
2) They would be treated worse if they were captured. That's still there choice if they want to risk it.
3) They can't perform at the same level. They don't need to perform at the same level, they just need to be able to meet a threshold. If they can't make the threshold, then I agree they should be transferred somewhere else.

Once technology develops more and we get more things like exoskeletons or piloted troops it'll be less of an issue. If you've got a different reason they shouldn't be there I'm all ears.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

xandorxerxes wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:09 am
Digital Masta wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:19 am I'm just curious btw. I wholeheartedly believe that women have no place in ground combat/infantry positions in the military. They can be drone pilots or even fighter pilots but as far as the on-the-ground shooting and killing I don't think it's particularly conducive to an effective military unit. Of course, there are other roles that women can do in the military very well that aren't related to that aspect of it. For example, the 2 moms woman in the video operates those missiles. I know this makes me a terrible person but what do you guys think of it?
Depends on why you don't want them there. I've seen 3 arguments and I haven't found any of them particularly compelling:

1) They'll be a "distraction" in the field. This one was proven to be only an issue to people who weren't in the military (they're more of a distraction on-base apparently).
2) They would be treated worse if they were captured. That's still there choice if they want to risk it.
3) They can't perform at the same level. They don't need to perform at the same level, they just need to be able to meet a threshold. If they can't make the threshold, then I agree they should be transferred somewhere else.

Once technology develops more and we get more things like exoskeletons or piloted troops it'll be less of an issue. If you've got a different reason they shouldn't be there I'm all ears.
Yeah, that's part of it. I'm not sure about "distraction" in what way? Do I think men are inherently more likely to leave behind a male soldier vs a female soldier if they have to? Yes. There's also no real way to test that seeing as the soldiers have to be actually in the situation for them to make that decision.

Again, I just look at it from a purely practical "we kill people" point of view. Yes, the military also does humanitarian activities and helps out but like I said before, your main job is to kill people. Ultimately the only thing that matters is creating the most effective group of people that can kill things. It's not about inclusivity or fairness or your right to express yourself. You gotta trek through the jungle and take a shit or piss right there in front of everyone and not give a fuck because you all gotta get to where you need to get to. I know a guy that is ex-Navy and he was also a medic and he told me about the mental experience of having to just piss himself and keep going, lol. He was like "It's really when you initially do it that you're like...fuck I'm pissing myself right now. But then once it dries you just kinda forget."

I think a group of men is just more effective at doing that and killing things than a mixed group. History has kinda shown that to be true as well. Think about it, you're either gonna have all men or a mixed group you will never have an all-female group of infantry soldiers. Why is that? Because we know that doesn't really work. I also find it kinda odd that we're arguing that women should have the right to piss themselves and kill people too. I mean the amount of trauma and pain it causes men is astronomical yet we want that for women too just because of "equality"? But again, it's the military "right to do X" isn't really relevant.
killacross

Post by killacross »

I don't care about the make up of the group
I just care that they can meet the standard [to kill things or blow shit up]
The fact that most women cannot meet the standard means that most women do not belong in _____

...it's the same reason I don't want 400 lb or 80 year old men in that same group

hell, I don't belong in the group anymore either because I've gotten out of shape #1 and aged out #2
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

There are many women that are very athletic or have crazy stamina. If they want to be in the military and meet the standards I'm all for it.

Kind of to DM's point over the years people brought up lowering the rim in the WNBA to make it exciting and bring in more viewers/fans. Some women took offense to that but only a handful to zero women can dunk or dunk consistently. It's a huge appeal in the NBA.

Edit

Wow, that King Randal dude is being blocked from opening a school for the youths out of fear of competition when he's staying in his lane.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

Keep in mind I didn't say not in the military, I said in the infantry. So when you watch all those old Vietnam movies, basically that.
killacross

Post by killacross »

I didnt specify because I think that they should be allowed into any division if they want it and can qualify
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

That's fine, we have different opinions. The whole reason I brought it up was just to see where others stood on it, not to fight with people about it. I don't really care if others feel differently, I mean I'm not going to go on some crusade to make sure it doesn't happen. Just if asked, I'd say what I think.

In other news, Superman and Lois is back and it's still good shit! But apparently, the break and having Supergirl in its time slot fucked up the ratings.