There we go

Digital Masta

Re: There we go

Post by Digital Masta »

killacross wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:09 pm That's not a problem. We have an electoral college for that...for now at least
I'm not just talking presidential elections. But there was reason they limited who voted way back that just wasn't about racism and sexism. Senators used to be elected by the state legislature..because they knew people were stupid.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

killacross wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:09 pm That's not a problem. We have an electoral college for that...for now at least
EC is a joke and is already gamed. It's only going to get worse. DC deserves statehood, Puerto Rico is arguable, but we'll see what happens when more states start getting made up just to add extra Senators. Can't wait for east and west Dakota.
Digital Masta wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:01 pm I'm not just talking presidential elections. But there was reason they limited who voted way back that just wasn't about racism and sexism. Senators used to be elected by the state legislature..because they knew people were stupid.
It's not because they knew people were stupid (we are), it's because they wanted to control who was in power. They do that through primaries now. We'll see if they change that since Trump/Bernie exploited the primary system. Sexism/racism was present from the start (and explicitly enabled in 1807).

Also be careful what you wish for - voters with higher education levels tended to vote overwhelmingly against Trump. Putting in an education requirement would have backfired on you last election. Not sure when the education split switched, but I'm too lazy to find it at the moment. sorry.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

xandorxerxes wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:03 pm
EC is a joke and is already gamed. It's only going to get worse. DC deserves statehood, Puerto Rico is arguable, but we'll see what happens when more states start getting made up just to add extra Senators. Can't wait for east and west Dakota.
Digital Masta wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:01 pm I'm not just talking presidential elections. But there was reason they limited who voted way back that just wasn't about racism and sexism. Senators used to be elected by the state legislature..because they knew people were stupid.
It's not because they knew people were stupid (we are), it's because they wanted to control who was in power. They do that through primaries now. We'll see if they change that since Trump/Bernie exploited the primary system. Sexism/racism was present from the start (and explicitly enabled in 1807).

Also be careful what you wish for - voters with higher education levels tended to vote overwhelmingly against Trump. Putting in an education requirement would have backfired on you last election. Not sure when the education split switched, but I'm too lazy to find it at the moment. sorry.
I'm a voluntarist/anarchist/anarcho-capitalist...the entire existence of government is a violation of the non-aggression principle and therefore illegitimate and immoral. Voting is simply giving the illusion of choice between who is pointing the gun at you. Come on, you know this about me.

NOT HERE TO ARGUE THE MERITS BEHIND MY VIEWPOINT JUST STATING WHY I ULTIMATELY DON'T VOTE. LET'S JUST MAKE MONEY BITCHES SO WE DON'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH THIS SHIT

Having said that...in a system where people do vote it's pretty telling when you realize how many people that get the same vote as you are dunderheads.
Cane_The9lives

Post by Cane_The9lives »

Digital Masta wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:01 pm
I'm not just talking presidential elections. But there was reason they limited who voted way back that just wasn't about racism and sexism. Senators used to be elected by the state legislature..because they knew people were stupid.
The end of the 19th century in the US saw a considerable spike in literacy rates and education. Before the late 1800's farming and rural areas were severely deprived of schools and teachers, the boom that followed I believe was one of the highest in the world.

The direct election of senators afforded by the seventeenth amendment would have been inconceivable at the time of the crafting of Article one.
No one has ever accused me of being a blind advocate for the collective intelligence of this country, but trust me....people are far less stupid than they used to be.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Suicide Squad 2 teaser: https://youtu.be/d4zZlpRde5k

A couple months old but I'm just seeing it now.

Black Adam: https://youtu.be/N73oTiIIJe0

Plan on going snowboarding next week with a friend, it's been a while.
superbob
Site Admin

Post by superbob »

JJ watt released by the texans
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

So can we all agree that Disney and specifically Lucasfilm is a bad company run by bad people? But hey, looks like Gina Carano is gonna land on her feet. And straight up kudos to the Daily Wire for putting their money where their mouth is.
Cane_The9lives

Post by Cane_The9lives »

Digital Masta wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:44 am So can we all agree that Disney and specifically Lucasfilm is a bad company run by bad people? But hey, looks like Gina Carano is gonna land on her feet. And straight up kudos to the Daily Wire for putting their money where their mouth is.
Yes, but not because they fired Gina Carano for a stupid reason.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Cane_The9lives wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:02 pm
Digital Masta wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:44 am So can we all agree that Disney and specifically Lucasfilm is a bad company run by bad people? But hey, looks like Gina Carano is gonna land on her feet. And straight up kudos to the Daily Wire for putting their money where their mouth is.
Yes, but not because they fired Gina Carano for a stupid reason.
Agreed.

The justification Daily Wire used hiring her, just to spite "the totalitarian left," aggravates me to no end. Since they either don't know what totalitarianism means or they do and are intentionally misusing it, as a purported "news" source screw them too. Stop fanning the damn flames.

The more ironic thing is that her post not only makes no sense, but is completely backwards. The whole situation is just fucking stupid.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

Yes, but not JUST because they fired Gina Carano for a stupid reason.
Fixed. But true.

Snyder Cut full trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZceaOc_V9M

Again...this isn't about it being a good movie it's about it being better than the awful, awful Justice League film

Thomas Sowell documentary...a black man that all Americans should know about...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK4M9iJrgto
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

^^ I'm a simple man I know I'll enjoy this Justice League like the other one, probably more this time.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

San Goku wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:07 pm ^^ I'm a simple man I know I'll enjoy this Justice League like the other one, probably more this time.
The theatrical cut is soooooo bad though. Lol.

I still maintain that hiring Ezra Miller to play Barry Allen was one of the biggest mistakes they made. He is just so bad and I doubt this cut will change my opinion.

From a corporate perspective it looks like hiring Ray Fisher was the biggest mistake. He is the problem that won't go away. In the beginning I was like Okay, Ray I see you. But now I'm like, Ray...pull it back bro.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Digital Masta wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:56 pm Thomas Sowell documentary...a black man that all Americans should know about...

Not even close. Been a while since I was in high school, but aside from Adam Smith and John Maynard Keynes I don't recall learning about other economists. If Friedman and von Hayek can't get in textbooks Sowell is right out.

I am 100% with you in your earlier remarks on him being a better person to take after than most people we put up on pedestals, but especially with anti-elitism/intellectualism taking root I don't see it happening.

I'll try to watch the video this week.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

xandorxerxes wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:23 am
Digital Masta wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:56 pm Thomas Sowell documentary...a black man that all

Americans should know about...

Not even close. Been a while since I was in high school, but aside from Adam Smith and John Maynard Keynes I don't recall learning about other economists. If Friedman and von Hayek can't get in textbooks Sowell is right out.
I meant should like "i would be better if people did" kinda way. Not the "I expect you know this" kinda way.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Digital Masta wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:56 pm
Yes, but not JUST because they fired Gina Carano for a stupid reason.
Fixed. But true.

Snyder Cut full trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZceaOc_V9M

Again...this isn't about it being a good movie it's about it being better than the awful, awful Justice League film

Thomas Sowell documentary...a black man that all Americans should know about...

Wow thanks for this Thomas Sowell documentary, I thought I was going to just watch a bit and couldn't stop watching. Talk about national treasure, this is what Black History should be about in the mainstream this month.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Facebook is getting really nasty with Apple. It's kind of amusing to watch Facebook bend over backwards to try to screw Apple just because Apple is putting in privacy controls that would require users to allow Facebook to collect their data instead of it being automatically harvested. Supposedly Zuckerberg has been taking Apple's comments personally.

I dislike Apple as a company and avoid their products, but once their privacy update goes in I'll probably look at potentially getting an (older) iPhone.
Digital Masta wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:57 amI meant should like "i would be better if people did" kinda way. Not the "I expect you know this" kinda way.
Whoops, my bad.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

xandorxerxes wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:06 pm Facebook is getting really nasty with Apple. It's kind of amusing to watch Facebook bend over backwards to try to screw Apple just because Apple is putting in privacy controls that would require users to allow Facebook to collect their data instead of it being automatically harvested. Supposedly Zuckerberg has been taking Apple's comments personally.

I dislike Apple as a company and avoid their products, but once their privacy update goes in I'll probably look at potentially getting an (older) iPhone.
Digital Masta wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:57 amI meant should like "i would be better if people did" kinda way. Not the "I expect you know this" kinda way.
Whoops, my bad.
This amuses and pleases me as well. The world should have stuck with a Blackberry. Apple is moving with the waves and trends, they don't want to get screwed, they know the hammer is coming. I currently own a Samsung s21. I really wanted the Ultra, I look forward to their next gen flagship after the galaxy.
killacross

Post by killacross »

@DM...you've been in Japan long enough that you might know

What is the significance of peeling apples in anime? They always have someone peeling apples at a sick person's bed side...I get it is the equivalent of the American chicken soup for the flu...but is there anything more to it?
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

For my family it's chicken soup and boiling ginger root, mixing it with honey to drink.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

killacross wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:51 pm @DM...you've been in Japan long enough that you might know

What is the significance of peeling apples in anime? They always have someone peeling apples at a sick person's bed side...I get it is the equivalent of the American chicken soup for the flu...but is there anything more to it?
Tried looking it up, didn't find anything right away. Random guesses + best bets I saw before DM gets in because I'm bored:

1) Passes time/preferred texture
2) Japan uses a lot of chemicals/pesticides (they do, just not sure if that's why they peel them)
3) Generational habit after the chemical fallout from WW2

And the real answer that's not close to any of those coming in 3, 2, 1...