There we go

killacross

Re: There we go

Post by killacross »

Ugh...the life of a landlord

#1. The previous owners lied to me. I asked about rental history. They said solid rental history. I asked for leases. Tenant A is new. Tenant B is month-to-month. I ask to see last 2 leases for Unit A. I get scans of both. Less than 40 days empty on A side. Tenant B has been there since 2016. Good!

#2. Get inspection. They are supposed to do repairs. I wanted another inspection after the fact. It didnt happen because of timing. So they did most of the repairs...and did quit shitty work (the previous owners was a contractor and his wife a realtor...but manages their rental company business of 100+ units).

#3. Tenant in B. Her lease says - single mother, 3 daughters. When I finally get the physical lease...just covered in sticky notes of when she missed/was late for the rent. Then turns out she is on a shit ton of government assistance. She makes $7.98/hr at the retirement home she works...has 3 daughters...1 son. Because of Nov...the previous owners sent me rent checks for A and B because they got the checks. So now...they told her...we no longer own the property - no longer contact us about it agian. She has started texting me saying she has this issue with her government money, her mother has a brain tumor, her father hurt his back at work...She was really, really, really sick...but thank the Lord it wasn't COVID. I was like...that's well and good...but rent is due Dec 1st. She has a case worker assigned and I should get an email/text/phone call soon. I finally WAS contacted yesterday...and it's all around COVID relief programs in my state. Essentially...IF I take the money (they pay in 3 month increments...then reevaluate)...I basically cannot evict her for 3+2 months for any reason (barring opening a trap house) [which means that I can't START to evict until 60 days after the prepaid months. Basically...she can stiff me for 2 months..plus however long it takes to get her removed. Then is it worth chasing after her...because she OBVIOUSLY has no money if she's on a government relief plan]. I cannot raise the rent in the 3 months' time that they are paying...which works out because I randomly was increasing it in month 4. I can't charge late/past due fees.

Now the question - and it's why I reach out to you my TAL brethren...It's my first moral dilemma. I DON'T need the money. BUT, I did not buy a rental to take on a charity case. And you all know like I know...you can't live anywhere for free.

A. I can just refuse the government money (which the whole situation disgusts me....4 fucking kids...<$16k per year) and go forward with an eviction - though there is a crazy backlog. Which would mean month's without income + month's waiting to get her out.

B. I can take the government money as long as possible (but what if she suddenly starts pushing for nonsense repairs or upgrades. I mean really, she just has to break something and then say repair/replace...if I don't, the state comes after me I guess) and just deal with it in 2022/2023.

C. Pay her money to leave. I would think $2500k to just remove her shit and hand me the keys (...almost 2 months' income for her). She doesn't even have to clean...because we are gutting the place.

The biggest thing is I have no idea where you can go making $8/hr...but at the same time...McDonalds in that area is paying $11/hr with a $2k signing bonus ($500 signing and $1500 after 6 months)....It's a fucking shame that that would almost increase her income by 50%. But I'm certain that she wouldn't do it because she is cheating the system by having unlimited kids. She's not paying for food, housing, utilities, cellphone, likely internet, or childcare.

I'm leaning towards B...but when these COVID government programs dry up -- choose C. She has to go. Maybe the people in unit A will leave first...thus letting me upgrade that side first.

Tenant in Unit B...please don't destroy my house (>_<)
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

A or C...you need her gone. Knowing your personality and values option B will make you hate yourself and this woman WILL drive you insane.

On a side note...fuck the previous owners.
Ice(v)an

Post by Ice(v)an »

Can she find another place to move to? Probably not at $7 an hour... what kind of a shit hole pays that little...
killacross

Post by killacross »

That's kinda my point. Where does my social responsibility end? Those 4 kids are not my kids. She's not sucking or fucking me. We share 0 DNA. So, what do I owe her? In fact... We are all already collectively paying for her shitty decisions.

I honestly think I'm gonna go option B then C. That way she's not "homeless" in the middle of winter and I can send her on her way in good conscious with some cash in her pockets.

Long story short... I gotta look into what I can impose as minimum income requirements so this doesn't happen again. Even at $600/mth when she first signed the lease... She couldn't afford it. Throw in 3 kids.. It's a wrap.

I know we had that when we applied in our current place... We just laughed cus we thought it was crazy low.

I'm really trying not to become that caricature of a cruel, heartless, money-obsessed landlord.... But I'm starting to see the appeal already

Ive never dealt with any of them like that... But from the way people talk... I'm sure they exist
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

killacross wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:48 pm That's kinda my point. Where does my social responsibility end? Those 4 kids are not my kids. She's not sucking or fucking me.
I think you maybe on to something.
Haohmaru

Post by Haohmaru »

Is it even possible to get paid so little? What's the minimum wage per hour over there. I can't imagine it being under 10 or 9 bucks.
This is going to be a blood sucker. Good luck with that.
Also can you just kick her out even if she doesn't find another place to live? You can't just kick her out on the streets right?
killacross

Post by killacross »

NC minimum wage is $7.25/hr

I haven't made $7/hr since high school/first year in college when min wage was $5.something/hr

Under normal circumstances, I could and probably would kick her out. And I don't have to arrange for her to make alternate accommodations. In NC...with a year lease -- I have to give 30 days notice...month to month...7 days notice....week to week...2 days notice. She's an adult and has to plan ahead. Now if that means she ends up on the street...it's her decision...ESPECIALLY since she has 4 mouths that depend on her. That part really just blows my mind. My wife and I waited until we were financially fit and stable before having kids. We think now that we waited too long...but that's not important. The issue is that I have to do it legally...or else she ends up owning a duplex

Because of the eviction ban last year...people who could and should pay their rent - did not. The ban just said you could not evict...it did not say you didn't owe the money. Some people saved the money...but more people blew it. Now the courts have been backlogged with landlords evicting tenants. It's the same issue when we have illegal immigrant caravans. The court system does not scale up to handle a surge. It creates these backlogs and the issue remains for months while people wait in dog kennels to get before a judge. Even if I went to court and won. It still has to go through the system for the sheriff to show up and post the eviction. Then to show up again and physically remove the tenant...or lock the doors

All of that takes time. Because there are so many people being evicted...and the court system is slow moving....I'd rather just collect some money and be patient...vs collect 0 money and eventually get her out and the next person in (who will definitely be vetted to weed out this bullshit in the future). I just need to think of a clever way to have them describe how they survived 2020/2021? Then say application denied if they mention gov. assistance. Also...you have to make ~50x the rent for now. That doesn't seem crazy to me. $35k in an area that is filled with hospitals and school systems and manufacturers galore.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Not in the fashion world like that but didn't know that Virgil guy was such a big deal and behind a lot of the Louis Vuitton art.

Edit

Chris Cuomo got fired from CNN to contributing to his brother's sexual harrasment.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

San Goku wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:22 am Not in the fashion world like that but didn't know that Virgil guy was such a big deal and behind a lot of the Louis Vuitton art.

Edit

Chris Cuomo got fired from CNN to contributing to his brother's sexual harrasment.
suspended, not fired.
Haohmaru

Post by Haohmaru »

@Killa, at least that way you get some money out of it. Tenants are protected so much here. Trying to get them out is really difficult.
$7 is fucking crazy. Like you said that's what you make at McDonald's when you're like 17.

Some Bleach news for you fans out there:

The first trailer and visual for the upcoming Bleach anime project will be unveiled in a livestream on December 18, 2021
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Haohmaru wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:05 am @Killa, at least that way you get some money out of it. Tenants are protected so much here. Trying to get them out is really difficult.
$7 is fucking crazy. Like you said that's what you make at McDonald's when you're like 17.

Some Bleach news for you fans out there:

The first trailer and visual for the upcoming Bleach anime project will be unveiled in a livestream on December 18, 2021
Sweet, I welcome some new Bleach news.
killacross

Post by killacross »

Haohmaru

Post by Haohmaru »

Hahaha why are people so creative. I would've called someone to fix that shit and here people are making songs about an annoying sound.

That last dude killed it and the girl singing is amazing as well.

Imagine going to Japan being 1.90m, blond and blue eyes. Everybody thinks you're westerne European or american. Yeah, no I'm from Turkey Nandaatooooo. But I buy kebab from Turkish guy you look nothing like him :roll:
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

killacross wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:08 am People are fucking amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZivIAhxzFyk

@DM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwi5zour95c

...this made me laugh
This becomes infinitely funnier if you've worked in the Japanese education system.
killacross

Post by killacross »

I used to read the black gaijin guys blog years ago

... He had similar stories... And why he hated MTV
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

killacross wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:08 am People are fucking amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZivIAhxzFyk

@DM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwi5zour95c

...this made me laugh
I enjoyed this.

The girl singing was cute, the dude with the lightning shirt was dope.

Japanese dude was hilarious. I'm sure my friend living in Japan experience this a bunch of times but he's Canadian.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Edit: Holy shit text wall. Sorry. Hopefully I broke it up enough that it's digestable.
killacross wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:49 pm Ugh...the life of a landlord

She has started texting me saying she has this issue with her government money, her mother has a brain tumor, her father hurt his back at work...She was really, really, really sick...but thank the Lord it wasn't COVID. I was like...that's well and good...but rent is due Dec 1st. She has a case worker assigned and I should get an email/text/phone call soon. I finally WAS contacted yesterday...and it's all around COVID relief programs in my state.

A. I can just refuse the government money (which the whole situation disgusts me....4 fucking kids...<$16k per year) and go forward with an eviction - though there is a crazy backlog. Which would mean month's without income + month's waiting to get her out.

B. I can take the government money as long as possible (but what if she suddenly starts pushing for nonsense repairs or upgrades. I mean really, she just has to break something and then say repair/replace...if I don't, the state comes after me I guess) and just deal with it in 2022/2023.

C. Pay her money to leave. I would think $2500k to just remove her shit and hand me the keys (...almost 2 months' income for her). She doesn't even have to clean...because we are gutting the place.

The biggest thing is I have no idea where you can go making $8/hr...but at the same time...McDonalds in that area is paying $11/hr with a $2k signing bonus ($500 signing and $1500 after 6 months)....It's a fucking shame that that would almost increase her income by 50%. But I'm certain that she wouldn't do it because she is cheating the system by having unlimited kids. She's not paying for food, housing, utilities, cellphone, likely internet, or childcare.
So there's a few other things here to consider if you haven't already:

- Americans are especially bad about money, and especially enamored with kids. Our entire economy depends on people being bad with money, and our gruntforce on people popping out kids - especially kids who grow up with fewer skills and are forced to take jobs that pay them shit. That last part is an exaggeration, it's just how things work out for some people. Especially in the south, I have no amount of surprise at all that she's in that situation.

- People lie and make all of the excuses about why they can't pay rent, but if she's got a case worker it's likely she's not entirely lying about it since she doesn't really have any strong reason to. I think the case worker can verify some of those things.

- "But think of the children" is typically a bullshit political argument, but in your case you've been put in a position where it applies to you. They're stuck with their mother and being born when she can't afford them. Maybe the father was originally in the picture and made much better money, but he left and she had to take what she could get. The kids aren't your responsibility at all, but it's worth considering making sure they're not totally screwed if/when evicted.

- Hospice care is an awful industry to be in, they pay low and treat workers like shit. She may be there because she's compassionate instead of just taking a job. That said, she needs money, she needs a new job. If you're weighing things like how much to offer her to move out, consider she may actually be a good person.
killacross wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:18 pm I honestly believe that if DM and I met in real life....We'd get along just fine

If XX and I met in real life... We'd get along just fine.

If XX and DM met in real life... They'd be in a full blown debate in under 30 mins...tops.

You are both polar opposites... But neither of you strike me as extremist left or right.
Bullshit, I'd argue with you too. Also we (and DM and I) would still get along just fine. I just like debates.
Truth be told... I started as pretty left of center. I was socially very liberal... And fiscally very conservative. As time has gone on... The conservatives no longer care about budgets and instead try to buy votes... And the liberals have gone soooo far left that they've left me behind.
This. If Republicans didn't go off the deep end I'd still be voting for them. Making shit up, making science political, gerrymandering, piss off with that nonsense. I'm only blaming R's for gerrymandering at the moment because they're the ones who won't let independent third parties set districts despite widespread voter support for it (see: Ohio). "We know voters want it, but... we don't agree." Asdjkalsdjaklsdjas. My hate for politicians is at an all-time high. 538 had a discussion about how we're almost at the point where we don't even need to vote anymore - gerrymandering has created enough bias in districting that the results are almost a foregone conclusion (R's are fairly close to never losing the House).

Even today, we get shit like this: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/202 ... -a-hacker/

Yeah, maybe it's not all media bias, maybe people who cry "witch hunt" are also full of shit. The FBI's response is hilarious. "Looking at the webpage you send people isn't hacking." Lulz.
Technically, liberals care more about illegals than they do ADOS at this point. Which is why the whole story of paying illegals $500k for being separated from kids is insane. There are people who won't make that in their lifetime while being upstanding citizens... And yet they would give it to criminals because of feelings [and votes obviously]
Keep in mind that the $500K also includes damages to the kids as well (from a legal perspective, at least, who knows about politicians).

I've always felt that supporting illegal aliens in the sense that those who have been here for 10+ years doing shit jobs should have an avenue to stay here is a worthwhile endeavor, but what the left is preaching (and doing nothing, because politicians) doesn't jive with me.
Haohmaru wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:05 am @Killa, at least that way you get some money out of it. Tenants are protected so much here. Trying to get them out is really difficult.
Except now McDonalds pays more...

The lack of rise of wages in the US while output and profits have skyrocketed since the 70s is a current sticking point for many of those our age and younger. Based on CPI, an item in 1975 that cost $0.52 costs $2.61 today. With 1975 minimum wage was $2.10. Minimum wage today is $7.25 - people have less buying power today than they did 36 years ago. An item you could buy 4 of with an hour's work in 1975 you can get 2 (almost 3) of today.

Keep in mind we also have more bills now too - cell phones, internet, etc. More expenses and weaker purchasing power doesn't end well for people who can't make good money. Anecdotally - you'll hear things like "back in my day we made good quality American items, now we get cheap China crap." Let's assume that's actually true - that means people today have to purchase replacements more often as well. You can still buy nice things today, but only if you have the money to afford it.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

xandorxerxes wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:23 pm
This. If Republicans didn't go off the deep end I'd still be voting for them. Making shit up, making science political, gerrymandering, piss off with that nonsense. I'm only blaming R's for gerrymandering at the moment because they're the ones who won't let independent third parties set districts despite widespread voter support for it (see: Ohio). "We know voters want it, but... we don't agree." Asdjkalsdjaklsdjas. My hate for politicians is at an all-time high. 538 had a discussion about how we're almost at the point where we don't even need to vote anymore - gerrymandering has created enough bias in districting that the results are almost a foregone conclusion (R's are fairly close to never losing the House).
This is fundamentally my contention with you. We are watching two entirely different TV shows. If you said "politicians" I'd be like...yeah that's right. But saying Republicans inherently means that Democrats are not doing this even though we've been through almost two years of them making science political with them COVID and over the past few years with basic biology. Then they spent four years making shit up about Trump, specifically Russian collusion and they just spent a year making shit up about a 17-year old boy and before that a bunch of high school kids. (I'm including the entire Democratic establishment in this).

Unless you are implying that it's already baked into the Democrat cake so you didn't mention it.

99% of politicians are snakes and some of the worst people on planet earth. Right up there with terrorists if you ask me. At least, terrorists, have some (fucked up) belief system and many are willing to kill themselves for it. These fuckers are complete cowards who would send your kids to die in overseas bullshit, destroy your life, your family's life, and your income sources in a second if it meant more power and money for themselves.
Last edited by Digital Masta on Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
killacross

Post by killacross »