There we go

San Goku
Posts: 356
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:41 am

Re: There we go

Post by San Goku » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:10 am

Surprised that they are charging the Atlanta cop with murder. Goes to show that they are trying to get serious about reform. I can understand the reasoning. He was 18+ feet from the victim when he fired his gun twice to the victims back, kicked him after and didn't provide medical support. I didn't know all those details...

Edit

Listen to the district attorney talk for 44 minutes and wow there is a lot of detail that I wasn't aware of. Looks like it's the right call. Thank God for technology again.

ames
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri May 29, 2020 7:41 pm

Re: There we go

Post by ames » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:48 am

hopefully they all feel better soon. keep us posted about them.
killacross wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:24 pm
Just in a room. She says she feels fine.

She's still on supplemental O2 though. They took her off once before and the numbers plummeted

Digital Masta
Posts: 222
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:56 pm

Re: There we go

Post by Digital Masta » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:59 am

San Goku wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:10 am
Surprised that they are charging the Atlanta cop with murder. Goes to show that they are trying to get serious about reform. I can understand the reasoning. He was 18+ feet from the victim when he fired his gun twice to the victims back, kicked him after and didn't provide medical support. I didn't know all those details...

Edit

Listen to the district attorney talk for 44 minutes and wow there is a lot of detail that I wasn't aware of. Looks like it's the right call. Thank God for technology again.

The guy shot the taser at the cop. Here's the thing about being a cop if someone takes your weapon you are now allowed to use deadly force, the reason being that you now don't know what he's going to with it. He could hit you with the taser, stun you, take your gun and then shoot you or someone else. He can use the taser to hurt another person. You already know he's the type of guy to at least take a weapon from a cop so at that point you have no clue what he's capable of.

xandorxerxes
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:43 pm

Re: There we go

Post by xandorxerxes » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:37 pm

Digital Masta wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:59 am
San Goku wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:10 am
Surprised that they are charging the Atlanta cop with murder. Goes to show that they are trying to get serious about reform. I can understand the reasoning. He was 18+ feet from the victim when he fired his gun twice to the victims back, kicked him after and didn't provide medical support. I didn't know all those details...

Edit

Listen to the district attorney talk for 44 minutes and wow there is a lot of detail that I wasn't aware of. Looks like it's the right call. Thank God for technology again.

The guy shot the taser at the cop. Here's the thing about being a cop if someone takes your weapon you are now allowed to use deadly force, the reason being that you now don't know what he's going to with it. He could hit you with the taser, stun you, take your gun and then shoot you or someone else. He can use the taser to hurt another person. You already know he's the type of guy to at least take a weapon from a cop so at that point you have no clue what he's capable of.
If he were the only officer on the scene, sure. Also there's no reason to not call medical in as soon as the guy drops from gunshots, why wait two minutes?

Thinking about it though, they've got his breathalizer results, they go to arrest the guy, he breaks free and runs off with one of their tasers. They chase. Why? They have his car, he's drunk. He's got kids. Where's he going to go? Just tow his car then show up the next day at his house and arrest him with a few extra charges for stealing a taser, striking a police officer, resisting arrest, et al.

The whole "he was killed for sleeping in his car" is bullshit, 0 tolerance for drunk drivers - but his death seems easily preventable.

San Goku
Posts: 356
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:41 am

Re: There we go

Post by San Goku » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:59 pm

xandorxerxes wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:37 pm
Digital Masta wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:59 am
San Goku wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:10 am
Surprised that they are charging the Atlanta cop with murder. Goes to show that they are trying to get serious about reform. I can understand the reasoning. He was 18+ feet from the victim when he fired his gun twice to the victims back, kicked him after and didn't provide medical support. I didn't know all those details...

Edit

Listen to the district attorney talk for 44 minutes and wow there is a lot of detail that I wasn't aware of. Looks like it's the right call. Thank God for technology again.

The guy shot the taser at the cop. Here's the thing about being a cop if someone takes your weapon you are now allowed to use deadly force, the reason being that you now don't know what he's going to with it. He could hit you with the taser, stun you, take your gun and then shoot you or someone else. He can use the taser to hurt another person. You already know he's the type of guy to at least take a weapon from a cop so at that point you have no clue what he's capable of.
If he were the only officer on the scene, sure. Also there's no reason to not call medical in as soon as the guy drops from gunshots, why wait two minutes?

Thinking about it though, they've got his breathalizer results, they go to arrest the guy, he breaks free and runs off with one of their tasers. They chase. Why? They have his car, he's drunk. He's got kids. Where's he going to go? Just tow his car then show up the next day at his house and arrest him with a few extra charges for stealing a taser, striking a police officer, resisting arrest, et al.

The whole "he was killed for sleeping in his car" is bullshit, 0 tolerance for drunk drivers - but his death seems easily preventable.

Exactly xx, plus also when they shot him and he fell to the floor. The guy that shot him kicked him immediately. His partner pressed on his shoulder as he lay there dying. I mean really, you are gonna press on a dying man's body after what just happened 2 weeks ago. That's either fucking arrogance or they just don't give a fuck. Seriously though either watch the AG press conference or skim through it makes more sense on why he's getting charged. On top of murder he's getting charged with a long sheet of shit he shouldn't have done so he's going away, one way or the other.

ames
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri May 29, 2020 7:41 pm

Re: There we go

Post by ames » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:06 pm

i think it is a reflex reaction on why they chased, someone took something of yours so your reaction is to try to get it back? I was almost robbed near chinese new year and of course the smart thing to do is to let the robber take my cell phone and replace it and blah blah because he could of seriously hurt me. I of course did not do that and instead I bet on the fact that he had his hands around my waist..that he wouldn't seriously hurt me and god knows why i thought i had a chance to fight this man off or fight long enough to gain some attention and get some help...But looking back, I was like wtf was i thinking..and i came to the conclusion that i was willing to die for my phone.-.-; and i should remind myself my phone is not worth my life...lol.
xandorxerxes wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:37 pm
Digital Masta wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:59 am
San Goku wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:10 am
Surprised that they are charging the Atlanta cop with murder. Goes to show that they are trying to get serious about reform. I can understand the reasoning. He was 18+ feet from the victim when he fired his gun twice to the victims back, kicked him after and didn't provide medical support. I didn't know all those details...

Edit

Listen to the district attorney talk for 44 minutes and wow there is a lot of detail that I wasn't aware of. Looks like it's the right call. Thank God for technology again.

The guy shot the taser at the cop. Here's the thing about being a cop if someone takes your weapon you are now allowed to use deadly force, the reason being that you now don't know what he's going to with it. He could hit you with the taser, stun you, take your gun and then shoot you or someone else. He can use the taser to hurt another person. You already know he's the type of guy to at least take a weapon from a cop so at that point you have no clue what he's capable of.
If he were the only officer on the scene, sure. Also there's no reason to not call medical in as soon as the guy drops from gunshots, why wait two minutes?

Thinking about it though, they've got his breathalizer results, they go to arrest the guy, he breaks free and runs off with one of their tasers. They chase. Why? They have his car, he's drunk. He's got kids. Where's he going to go? Just tow his car then show up the next day at his house and arrest him with a few extra charges for stealing a taser, striking a police officer, resisting arrest, et al.

The whole "he was killed for sleeping in his car" is bullshit, 0 tolerance for drunk drivers - but his death seems easily preventable.

xandorxerxes
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:43 pm

Re: There we go

Post by xandorxerxes » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:34 pm

ames wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:06 pm
i think it is a reflex reaction on why they chased, someone took something of yours so your reaction is to try to get it back? I was almost robbed near chinese new year and of course the smart thing to do is to let the robber take my cell phone and replace it and blah blah because he could of seriously hurt me. I of course did not do that and instead I bet on the fact that he had his hands around my waist..that he wouldn't seriously hurt me and god knows why i thought i had a chance to fight this man off or fight long enough to gain some attention and get some help...But looking back, I was like wtf was i thinking..and i came to the conclusion that i was willing to die for my phone.-.-; and i should remind myself my phone is not worth my life...lol.
I think that's a fair assessment. Glad you didn't die for your phone, though!

Digital Masta
Posts: 222
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:56 pm

Re: There we go

Post by Digital Masta » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:43 pm

xandorxerxes wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:37 pm
Digital Masta wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:59 am
San Goku wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:10 am
Surprised that they are charging the Atlanta cop with murder. Goes to show that they are trying to get serious about reform. I can understand the reasoning. He was 18+ feet from the victim when he fired his gun twice to the victims back, kicked him after and didn't provide medical support. I didn't know all those details...

Edit

Listen to the district attorney talk for 44 minutes and wow there is a lot of detail that I wasn't aware of. Looks like it's the right call. Thank God for technology again.

The guy shot the taser at the cop. Here's the thing about being a cop if someone takes your weapon you are now allowed to use deadly force, the reason being that you now don't know what he's going to with it. He could hit you with the taser, stun you, take your gun and then shoot you or someone else. He can use the taser to hurt another person. You already know he's the type of guy to at least take a weapon from a cop so at that point you have no clue what he's capable of.
If he were the only officer on the scene, sure. Also there's no reason to not call medical in as soon as the guy drops from gunshots, why wait two minutes?

Thinking about it though, they've got his breathalizer results, they go to arrest the guy, he breaks free and runs off with one of their tasers. They chase. Why? They have his car, he's drunk. He's got kids. Where's he going to go? Just tow his car then show up the next day at his house and arrest him with a few extra charges for stealing a taser, striking a police officer, resisting arrest, et al.

The whole "he was killed for sleeping in his car" is bullshit, 0 tolerance for drunk drivers - but his death seems easily preventable.

Yeaaaah, no.


Again...he shot the taser AT the cops.

They aren't going to be thinking "Well, let me just get his car and..."

He resisted arrest, assaulted police officers, stole a weapon from the officer and then shot it at them. Naturally they are going to give chase because they don't know what he's about to do, he has one of their weapons and could hurt someone else...especially because he's drunk and again...he then shot the taser at them meaning he's willing to try to harm the officers as well. I've been really drunk before, never once have I ever thought to hurt someone and definitely not cops.

This whole thing is bullshit and I am no super police supporter, I can just recognize agenda driven nonsense and pure bullshit that is aiming to destroy the lives of two guys doing their jobs. There is no way they get convicted of this btw.

xandorxerxes
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:43 pm

Re: There we go

Post by xandorxerxes » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:05 pm

Digital Masta wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:43 pm


Yeaaaah, no.


Again...he shot the taser AT the cops.

They aren't going to be thinking "Well, let me just get his car and..."

He resisted arrest, assaulted police officers, stole a weapon from the officer and then shot it at them. Naturally they are going to give chase because they don't know what he's about to do, he has one of their weapons and could hurt someone else...especially because he's drunk and again...he then shot the taser at them meaning he's willing to try to harm the officers as well. I've been really drunk before, never once have I ever thought to hurt someone and definitely not cops.

This whole thing is bullshit and I am no super police supporter, I can just recognize agenda driven nonsense and pure bullshit that is aiming to destroy the lives of two guys doing their jobs. There is no way they get convicted of this btw.
He shot the taser at the cops after they chased him, not immediately when he stole it while tussling. He talked calmly with the officers before the arrest for 30 minutes. He's not going to go randomly tazing people in their homes, in fact he can't - he shot the taser and missed. How's he going to use it again without another cartridge?

I don't think this is a malicious/bad shoot - I think it was just absolutely terrible decision making. It was the heat of the moment and he was fired at, I get it, but in retrospect he just chose the worst possible option. I do agree that it's extremely probable this is politically motivated, but I do think he has a higher chance of getting convicted than 0.

ames
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri May 29, 2020 7:41 pm

Re: There we go

Post by ames » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:26 pm

i know right! I can empathize with people who drop their phone on the train tracks and jump on the tracks for it now. Sometimes I feel like everyone have very extreme views and it is either u ur propolice and bleed blue blood or you are BLM and defund police. I was hoping after all the adrenaline wears off, people can come to terms and see u can be both. I support our law enforcement people, trust me I never ever thought i would ever need to call 911 in my life, but I did and I was surprised that they came very fast, considering I was not hurt, I thought it would take 5hrs. My dad was in a car accident and we waited 3hrsplus to try to file a police report (because that is the right thing to do?) However, I do believe more transparency and accountability is in order. Do I hold them to a higher standard in deesculating situations, yes I do...i would hope law enforcement are better trained than me at deesculating tense situations..cuz we would all be dead if i was in charge.

I do support BLM and I myself am trying to learn about my own bias and my own privilege. Yes i do pull the I am a short midget asian woman card from time to time...and i hope i can keep that card for umm....awhile..lol
xandorxerxes wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:34 pm
ames wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:06 pm
i think it is a reflex reaction on why they chased, someone took something of yours so your reaction is to try to get it back? I was almost robbed near chinese new year and of course the smart thing to do is to let the robber take my cell phone and replace it and blah blah because he could of seriously hurt me. I of course did not do that and instead I bet on the fact that he had his hands around my waist..that he wouldn't seriously hurt me and god knows why i thought i had a chance to fight this man off or fight long enough to gain some attention and get some help...But looking back, I was like wtf was i thinking..and i came to the conclusion that i was willing to die for my phone.-.-; and i should remind myself my phone is not worth my life...lol.
I think that's a fair assessment. Glad you didn't die for your phone, though!

San Goku
Posts: 356
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:41 am

Re: There we go

Post by San Goku » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:30 pm

Digital Masta wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:43 pm
xandorxerxes wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:37 pm
Digital Masta wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:59 am



The guy shot the taser at the cop. Here's the thing about being a cop if someone takes your weapon you are now allowed to use deadly force, the reason being that you now don't know what he's going to with it. He could hit you with the taser, stun you, take your gun and then shoot you or someone else. He can use the taser to hurt another person. You already know he's the type of guy to at least take a weapon from a cop so at that point you have no clue what he's capable of.
If he were the only officer on the scene, sure. Also there's no reason to not call medical in as soon as the guy drops from gunshots, why wait two minutes?

Thinking about it though, they've got his breathalizer results, they go to arrest the guy, he breaks free and runs off with one of their tasers. They chase. Why? They have his car, he's drunk. He's got kids. Where's he going to go? Just tow his car then show up the next day at his house and arrest him with a few extra charges for stealing a taser, striking a police officer, resisting arrest, et al.

The whole "he was killed for sleeping in his car" is bullshit, 0 tolerance for drunk drivers - but his death seems easily preventable.

Yeaaaah, no.


Again...he shot the taser AT the cops.

They aren't going to be thinking "Well, let me just get his car and..."

He resisted arrest, assaulted police officers, stole a weapon from the officer and then shot it at them. Naturally they are going to give chase because they don't know what he's about to do, he has one of their weapons and could hurt someone else...especially because he's drunk and again...he then shot the taser at them meaning he's willing to try to harm the officers as well. I've been really drunk before, never once have I ever thought to hurt someone and definitely not cops.

This whole thing is bullshit and I am no super police supporter, I can just recognize agenda driven nonsense and pure bullshit that is aiming to destroy the lives of two guys doing their jobs. There is no way they get convicted of this btw.

I understand your point in fact my initial reaction at the charges was I thought that was a bit much. However, the AG has a case based on what he presented at the press conference. It should be noted that the AG is up for reelection, that could or could not mean anything lol.

The fact that he waited 2 minutes to call medical assistance is that he wanted to let him die. Also he kicked him immediately after he fell to the ground. The other cop pressed on his body after being shot. There is no real arguments to those actions by the officers. You could argue if the shooting was justified (which I personally don't).

xandorxerxes
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:43 pm

Re: There we go

Post by xandorxerxes » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:14 am

San Goku wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:30 pm
I understand your point in fact my initial reaction at the charges was I thought that was a bit much. However, the AG has a case based on what he presented at the press conference. It should be noted that the AG is up for reelection, that could or could not mean anything lol.

The fact that he waited 2 minutes to call medical assistance is that he wanted to let him die. Also he kicked him immediately after he fell to the ground. The other cop pressed on his body after being shot. There is no real arguments to those actions by the officers. You could argue if the shooting was justified (which I personally don't).
The pressing on the body I assume is standard procedure for ensuring a combative subject isn't going to keep flailing around and hurt you, especially if your shots aren't lethal. I haven't read about that yet, so I can't say for sure, but I'd be willing to wager on it.

Friend I know used to be a state trooper, he won't give a comment on the shooting (too many variables) but he did say that it's why physical fitness is so important. His take was that if these guys could actually fight or sprint after the guy either the guy wouldn't have broken free/decked the cop and even if he did, if the cop chasing was faster as soon as the guy slowed down to turn back with the taser he'd be tackled.

I do think the jury is already poisoned though - granted the trial could take a long time, but at least 1 person on that jury is going to take some sort of thoughts around the protests into account when they make their decision. Jury selection is going to be a bitch.

killacross
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:00 am

Re: There we go

Post by killacross » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:25 pm

is 35 too old to start a new career?

My wife and I were talking. Our daughter will definitely be a dentist. Seems like it would be completely different than Engineering. I'm tired of being assigned all of these projects...where the due date dictates how much, how fast, and the quality of work performed.

Seems pretty sweet when the worst thing you can deal with is...
"Are you ssssure you're flossing daily?"
"Yes"

...and then they bleed out on the floor

xandorxerxes
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:43 pm

Re: There we go

Post by xandorxerxes » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:57 pm

killacross wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:25 pm
is 35 too old to start a new career?

My wife and I were talking. Our daughter will definitely be a dentist. Seems like it would be completely different than Engineering. I'm tired of being assigned all of these projects...where the due date dictates how much, how fast, and the quality of work performed.

Seems pretty sweet when the worst thing you can deal with is...
"Are you ssssure you're flossing daily?"
"Yes"

...and then they bleed out on the floor
Not even close, go for it. What do you want to do? I've been tempted to do the same.

I googled "dentist horror stories" and most of them were pretty tame - people being stupidly unsanitary. There was also the one about where a dentist tried to get a patient to use an electric toothbrush and his response was pretty much 'nah I don't brush my teeth, I use the toothbrush for pleasuring myself though.'

Dentistry's another one of those "you're in school forever" type positions, so if you're covering her tuition be prepared for a crazy cost.

Cane_The9lives
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:15 pm

Re: There we go

Post by Cane_The9lives » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:30 pm

Going to make this short and sweet because quite frankly I'm still processing it.

Boyos.....the wife just informed me she's almost two and a half weeks pregnant.

I'M GOING TO BE A DADDY!!!!!

eddieson
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:00 am

Re: There we go

Post by eddieson » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:14 pm

^ I thought you already were one, but congrats Cane!

killacross
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:00 am

Re: There we go

Post by killacross » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:49 pm

CONGRATS!! One of the best chapters of your life is about to begin!!

I am finally watching The Last Dance (Chicago Bulls docuseries). It is so weird seeing my childhood "heroes" as old men. GEEZUS!

San Goku
Posts: 356
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:41 am

Re: There we go

Post by San Goku » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:22 am

killacross wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:25 pm
is 35 too old to start a new career?

My wife and I were talking. Our daughter will definitely be a dentist. Seems like it would be completely different than Engineering. I'm tired of being assigned all of these projects...where the due date dictates how much, how fast, and the quality of work performed.

Seems pretty sweet when the worst thing you can deal with is...
"Are you ssssure you're flossing daily?"
"Yes"

...and then they bleed out on the floor
Bro been on my mind heavy. I just don't have the money aside to drop what I'm doing or I probably would.
ames wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:26 pm
i know right! I can empathize with people who drop their phone on the train tracks and jump on the tracks for it now. Sometimes I feel like everyone have very extreme views and it is either u ur propolice and bleed blue blood or you are BLM and defund police. I was hoping after all the adrenaline wears off, people can come to terms and see u can be both. I support our law enforcement people, trust me I never ever thought i would ever need to call 911 in my life, but I did and I was surprised that they came very fast, considering I was not hurt, I thought it would take 5hrs. My dad was in a car accident and we waited 3hrsplus to try to file a police report (because that is the right thing to do?) However, I do believe more transparency and accountability is in order. Do I hold them to a higher standard in deesculating situations, yes I do...i would hope law enforcement are better trained than me at deesculating tense situations..cuz we would all be dead if i was in charge.

I do support BLM and I myself am trying to learn about my own bias and my own privilege. Yes i do pull the I am a short midget asian woman card from time to time...and i hope i can keep that card for umm....awhile..lol
xandorxerxes wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:34 pm
ames wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:06 pm
i think it is a reflex reaction on why they chased, someone took something of yours so your reaction is to try to get it back? I was almost robbed near chinese new year and of course the smart thing to do is to let the robber take my cell phone and replace it and blah blah because he could of seriously hurt me. I of course did not do that and instead I bet on the fact that he had his hands around my waist..that he wouldn't seriously hurt me and god knows why i thought i had a chance to fight this man off or fight long enough to gain some attention and get some help...But looking back, I was like wtf was i thinking..and i came to the conclusion that i was willing to die for my phone.-.-; and i should remind myself my phone is not worth my life...lol.
I think that's a fair assessment. Glad you didn't die for your phone, though!
Lol @ short Asian women card, u sneaky bastard.

Cane_The9lives wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:30 pm
Going to make this short and sweet because quite frankly I'm still processing it.

Boyos.....the wife just informed me she's almost two and a half weeks pregnant.

I'M GOING TO BE A DADDY!!!!!
Yaaaa!!! Congrats man cotdamn that kid is going to have the best English vocabulary on the planet lol. Once you have your kid you are going to ask your self why didn't I have one sooner.

killacross
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:00 am

Re: There we go

Post by killacross » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:05 am

...my wife and I had the exact same question. We got married at 26. We were super broke, so wanted to wait a little to be financially stable. By 28 we were on the upswing. At 30, we talked about it...but I had the job that had me traveling so said let's wait a little more. By 33 we were ready. Baby was born when "we" were 34 (my daughter's birthday is between my wife's and mine -- kinda cool because mine is 4/7...Wife's is 5/22...daughter's is 5/7 -- so a little from both of us!).

Because our finances are SO secure and we actually want a #2...we were like, "Why didn't we do this sooner?".

Probably gonna start trying again at the end of the year. I am so blessed to have had a daughter, but I kinda hope, the next one is a son -- so I can compare the experiences.

SN: Not sure what they are gonna do with my MIL. She is not improving, but she is incredibly stable. She can't stay at the hospital forever. Also...she has 0 insurance (besides medicaid/medicare) and $0 in assets, so some administrator is gonna be piiiiissssssseeeeed. Honestly, I THINK/I'm pretty sure that the hospital/state doesn't come after you for parent's medical debt (they eventually go after the estate -- again $0)...but I'm kinda concerned that we claimed them as dependents last year on our taxes.

xandorxerxes
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:43 pm

Re: There we go

Post by xandorxerxes » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:27 pm

killacross wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:05 am
...my wife and I had the exact same question. We got married at 26. We were super broke, so wanted to wait a little to be financially stable. By 28 we were on the upswing. At 30, we talked about it...but I had the job that had me traveling so said let's wait a little more. By 33 we were ready. Baby was born when "we" were 34 (my daughter's birthday is between my wife's and mine -- kinda cool because mine is 4/7...Wife's is 5/22...daughter's is 5/7 -- so a little from both of us!).

Because our finances are SO secure and we actually want a #2...we were like, "Why didn't we do this sooner?".

Probably gonna start trying again at the end of the year. I am so blessed to have had a daughter, but I kinda hope, the next one is a son -- so I can compare the experiences.

SN: Not sure what they are gonna do with my MIL. She is not improving, but she is incredibly stable. She can't stay at the hospital forever. Also...she has 0 insurance (besides medicaid/medicare) and $0 in assets, so some administrator is gonna be piiiiissssssseeeeed. Honestly, I THINK/I'm pretty sure that the hospital/state doesn't come after you for parent's medical debt (they eventually go after the estate -- again $0)...but I'm kinda concerned that we claimed them as dependents last year on our taxes.
Money first - This is super quick research, I'll do more in a few hours when I get back.

NC is one of the states with filial debt laws, which can include medical debt. As long as one spouse survives though, they won't come after you (according to one site it's actually rare to enforce it at all) - but if a sibling lived with the parents for an extended period of time they might go after the sibling.

It's something you'll probably want to consult a lawyer on, I'm also not sure what would happen if they put their entire estate (0) into a trust if they could go after anything except the empty trust.

Children: SO and I are in a similar boat. She's 34, I'm 35, we're going to end up with 2 but we've been waiting for her to finish all of her training (this month) and she starts her career (August) before we started. She'll sometimes work 90+ hour weeks though, so I'd probably have been stuck in a full time job with full time kid duties and that's not really something I want to do. Also didn't want her to be woken up at day/night when she was sleeping by a kid.
San Goku wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:22 am
Bro been on my mind heavy. I just don't have the money aside to drop what I'm doing or I probably would.
Start with something like coursera. You can take free courses and see how you like subjects. Sometimes you can get college credit (in the states, at least) for it.
Cane_The9lives wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:30 pm
Going to make this short and sweet because quite frankly I'm still processing it.

Boyos.....the wife just informed me she's almost two and a half weeks pregnant.

I'M GOING TO BE A DADDY!!!!!
Congrats mate!

Post Reply