There we go

Digital Masta

Re: There we go

Post by Digital Masta »

San Goku wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:19 am ^^ clourism is a real thing though so maybe he was right to apologize? I don't follow his work but his supporters seem to have brought it up. I don't think this has to be lumped in wokeness?
Wut?

He made the film he wanted. That's the only thing that matters. He doesn't owe these people shit.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Digital Masta wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:49 pm
San Goku wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:19 am ^^ clourism is a real thing though so maybe he was right to apologize? I don't follow his work but his supporters seem to have brought it up. I don't think this has to be lumped in wokeness?
Wut?

He made the film he wanted. That's the only thing that matters. He doesn't owe these people shit.

This is also true but it's not the only thing that matters.
killacross

Post by killacross »

Yes it is.

The way the world works is that if you don't like the movie he made.. You don't see HIS movie or you make YOUR movie and do it the way you want

You don't complain about the work someone else did and demand they make your movie too your tastes. You are not special. I wish people understood that no one cares about their opinions and feelings
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

killacross wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:36 am Yes it is.

The way the world works is that if you don't like the movie he made.. You don't see HIS movie or you make YOUR movie and do it the way you want

You don't complain about the work someone else did and demand they make your movie too your tastes. You are not special. I wish people understood that no one cares about their opinions and feelings
I think ultimately we reach the same conclusion and are in agreement. I definitely hate when the same people are constantly the victims, sometimes it can't be helped. You have to have an opinion and feeling in order to do something. You see something you believe is not right or a true representation of society. You voice your concerns, they either change or don't. They don't change, you say fuck it and fuck you, do some shit even better with your own vision.

Again colorism is a real thing...Look at India and the history of their caste system for example.
killacross

Post by killacross »

A movie made in Hollywood is completely different than a society's culture created over hundreds of years. Colorism is a form of prejudice and racism. So yes it is a real thing....

Buuuuuut -- a play/movie about New York Hispanics has nothing to do with South Asians...and the people complaining about this are likely silent about issues in other parts of the world. "Colorism" is yet ANOTHER 1st world problem
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

killacross wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:36 am Yes it is.

You can criticize a movie without being a director, and a director makes a movie for an audience. If enough people in that audience share the same criticism it's going to get around on social media. You don't have to insist you're special or insist the director cares about your feelings, but if the director sees that it matters to enough people the director might consider taking it into account next time.

If your work doesn't please a client because the client thinks you made a mistake, would you rather the client speak up with what they want or just silently keep it to themself and not hire you again? He cares about this audience enough to at least placate them. If he didn't, he wouldn't bother responding at all.

His apology doesn't really ring fake to me - if it actually matters to him the critics may have done him a favor.
Cane_The9lives

Post by Cane_The9lives »

Pardon me if this sounds reductive, but someone needs to explain this "Controversy" to me.

Is the gist of the criticism that the characters are not visibly Afro-Latino enough? As in, the tone of their skin is not an accurate representation of the setting for which the musical takes place?

Do I have that right? They're people of color....but they aren't colored dark enough?

That's it?

Seriously jog on with that shit.
killacross

Post by killacross »

Pretty much

.. It's like hiring black people to play Africans ... Then the majority weren't dark enough

IM LOOKING AT YOU BLACK PANTHER!!!
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

Cane_The9lives wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:46 pm Pardon me if this sounds reductive, but someone needs to explain this "Controversy" to me.

Is the gist of the criticism that the characters are not visibly Afro-Latino enough? As in, the tone of their skin is not an accurate representation of the setting for which the musical takes place?

Do I have that right? They're people of color....but they aren't colored dark enough?

That's it?

Yup and as someone originally from NYC the hispanic community there looks a lot like the people in the film. Ya know, hispanics that are mostly of European and Mestizo background.

What about Afro-Jewish Latino representation?

Victoria going for a new secret.

https://www.businessinsider.com/victori ... and-2021-6

MYSELF wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:49 pm Image
killacross

Post by killacross »

Ta fuq?

And yet you look at Instagram and only fans... And it's not the 5'2" women at 210lbs that have 200k followers

.. Virtue signaling is so dumb
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Just watched the first ep if Loki and thought it was great. Never heard of these Time Variant Authority guys before. I was like wtf how is the infinity stone like nothing to them.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Hol the fuck up. New He-Man? Yes please!

Link: https://youtu.be/81wyj65SJIo

Edit

Cane_The9lives wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:46 pm Pardon me if this sounds reductive, but someone needs to explain this "Controversy" to me.

That's it?

I took it as a not a big deal.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

San Goku wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:29 pm Hol the fuck up. New He-Man? Yes please!

Oh ho ho ho, this is a good ol bait and switch.

https://cosmicbook.news/kevin-smith-res ... oke-he-man

Fundamentally nobody cares about Teela(who is also rather masculine looking a long with other women), Masters of the Universe has ultimately always been about Adam/He-Man. That's what people want.

So don't get your hopes up.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Digital Masta wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:26 am
San Goku wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:29 pm Hol the fuck up. New He-Man? Yes please!

Fundamentally nobody cares about Teela(who is also rather masculine looking a long with other women), Masters of the Universe has ultimately always been about Adam/He-Man. That's what people want.

Oh God, that's like bringing Superman back after 40 freaking years and then only showing Supergirl. God they better not F this up. Just make it about He-Man like it's supposed to be. I'm sure there is enough room for other side characters to get their shine.

Edit

Why can't I have nice things? Please please let me have nothing bad to say about the show. I even thought the 2011 show was fine.

Edit

Kevin Smith on He-Man: https://youtu.be/GpsmEcGmUBQ

Just have to wait and see, maybe it will be a good balance of characters. If they wanted to empower women though, that's what FUCKING SHE-RA IS FOR.
Cane_The9lives

Post by Cane_The9lives »

Digital Masta wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:26 am

Oh for fucks sake, can't we wait until something comes out officially before these knee-jerk "It's woke pablum" denouncements?
People are jumping on a general description of the plot to make broad assumptions, and the lack of the prefix "He-man" in the title as evidence that it's going to focus primarily on teela, rather than just expand her character.

Never mind the fact that the original toy line was simply titled "Masters of the universe"(I guess that makes the movie version retroactively woke now).
This is why today's woke and anti-woke generation don't deserve nice things, because they can't enjoy anything without losing their collective shit at even the slight suggestion or mere appearance(correct or incorrect) of political influence.

Everything is prima facie woke or patriarchal now, before post-production is even completed.
Imagine if you will, that "Lois and Clark-The new adventures of superman" was made today; a show that on top of giving her first billing, focused heavily on Lois and oriented the overarching plot around her ignorance of Clark's secret identity; their personal relationship and the ultimate revelation that he's superman.

Sans the perception of Dean Cain as a scion of conservatism, it would be decried as woke feminist tripe by today's internet lurkers.

I think this looks good, and if it sidelines He-man then fuck Kevin smith.
But I'm not going to prejudge it until I actually see it.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

Visually it looks great(except for previously mentioned masculine women but thats my opinion) and if the rumors turn out to be false then fantastic. But people have been burned too many times, seeing their beloved franchises and characters get destroyed by vanity project -seeking woke weirdos so I don't blame anyone for being highly skeptical of this.

Latest example being Tim Drake, the 3rd and probably most popular Robin who is now gay. He's been straight for 30 years. People have literally read his thoughts and seen his love life for 3 decades but now suddenly he's gay. Create a new character? Nah fam, we ain't about that hard work.

He basically got Iceman'd. Marvel did this first with him.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Don't get me wrong I don't mind the story revolving around Teela but make that in season 2 or 3 or something. Again it's like image everything we know about Superman right now and then we don't hear about him for 15-20-30-40 years. Then we see a sick trailer about Superman only to find out the story is going to revolve around Supergirl or Lois...wut?
Digital Masta wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:36 am Visually it looks great(except for previously mentioned masculine women but thats my opinion) and if the rumors turn out to be false then fantastic. But people have been burned too many times, seeing their beloved franchises and characters get destroyed by vanity project -seeking woke weirdos so I don't blame anyone for being highly skeptical of this.

Latest example being Tim Drake, the 3rd and probably most popular Robin who is now gay. He's been straight for 30 years. People have literally read his thoughts and seen his love life for 3 decades but now suddenly he's gay. Create a new character? Nah fam, we ain't about that hard work.

He basically got Iceman'd. Marvel did this first with him.
Lol
Cane_The9lives

Post by Cane_The9lives »

I don't disagree with skepticism about the direction titles are headed in today's climate, but I do think this has engendered a kind of sensitivity towards the perception of "Wokeness" that's a bit overwrought, and sees it where it doesn't necessarily exist.

Kevin Smith doesn't strike me as particularly "Woke" or overly political, the dude is a comic fanboy who successfully transferred that fanaticism into a successful career in both the comic and movie industries who takes the milieu in which he resides seriously. And hasn't that been the major gripe(one I share) with most fans these days? That the comic book industry has been flooded with new writers with new sensibilities who have such a lamentable misapprehension about the titles and characters they are co-opting in the name of social commentary?

Honestly, if there is anyone I would trust with a classic like he-man, it would be an old school fan like Smith.
I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

^^

Good point @Cane, Smith does deserve the benefit of the doubt given his career and track record. We shall see, but @DM has a point too in that we got burned too many times.
Cane_The9lives

Post by Cane_The9lives »

Yes, but some of that is manufactured outrage and everyone knows it.

Identifying wokeness rather than giving honest commentary has now become the primary pursuit for most fans, a trend mimetically replicated on youtube and expanding the preconception of "Woke until proven otherwise" mentality.

It's silly.