There we go

xandorxerxes

Re: There we go

Post by xandorxerxes »

San Goku wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:04 pm
xandorxerxes wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:08 pm
San Goku wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:11 am

Do you recommend the Signal app for good privacy and security?
Yep. I use Signal and Threema. I'd usually recommend WhatsApp but Facebook decided to Facebook it.
Unfortunately I am still using watsapp. I have Signal, but a lot of family and friends are on watsapp. That can change quickly though, the same with Blackberry messenger back in the day.
You're fine for a little while, Facebook got a lot of pushback so they shelved their changes for the moment. I don't expect it to stay that way.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Blegh. One day people will use a better method than just pretending things don't exist, but there's not much to say about things like this:
“If I Ran the Zoo” includes a drawing of two bare-footed African men wearing what appear to be grass skirts with their hair tied above their heads.
Since Seuss is deceased it's not like he can update his works, and I noticed that it's mostly his lesser-known works that are getting pulled so I'd guess it won't affect sales too much.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

xandorxerxes wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:07 pm
Blegh. One day people will use a better method than just pretending things don't exist, but there's not much to say about things like this:
“If I Ran the Zoo” includes a drawing of two bare-footed African men wearing what appear to be grass skirts with their hair tied above their heads.
Since Seuss is deceased it's not like he can update his works, and I noticed that it's mostly his lesser-known works that are getting pulled so I'd guess it won't affect sales too much.

It was also written in 1950. I think context matters. Remember those old war time cartoons that displayed Japanese as rat-like? Those were a combination of 1940s and racism because they were specifically trying to portray Japanese as sub-human.

Does anyone really think that Dr. Seuss was trying to put down other races?

These joyless people that live only to remove joy from others.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Digital Masta wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:30 pm

It was also written in 1950. I think context matters. Remember those old war time cartoons that displayed Japanese as rat-like? Those were a combination of 1940s and racism because they were specifically trying to portray Japanese as sub-human.

Usually I get pissed off at stuff like this but I chuckled. I think XX may have a point. I don't think I read all the Dr.Seuss books as a kid but I read a lot and they were one of my favs. Maybe the books in question really aren't appropriate in this day and age. I would have to read it to see what the big deal is about.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Reminds me of some of the stuff on superdickery.com (apparently that's still a thing) like "slap a Jap."

I didn't think people thought he was full-on racist, but after looking into it more apparently they do. He's got some less than stellar comics in addition to his war propaganda. I haven't done actual in-depth looking into it, but more than one person seems to think he works were still intended to demean the races at the point in time they were written. Apparently even "The Cat in the Hat" is a based on a common derogatory racial stereotype against black men. I think there's an argument that if the stereotype no longer exists and isn't recognizable to anyone outside of historians should it still be treated as such but I don't know how sound that argument actually is.

Let me be clear that I'm 100% with you on people being ostracized for making stupid tweets or comments (e.g. Carano). That just makes everything worse. But once we recognize something like a book, word, etc. as inherently bad/racist, I don't see a need to keep it around for it's original purpose. I don't see why we can't have the books in a Seuss exhibit for example, but we can give kids the same nostalgia we have for our childrens' books with books that don't have these caricatures in them.
San Goku wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:00 pm Usually I get pissed off at stuff like this but I chuckled. I think XX may have a point. I don't think I read all the Dr.Seuss books as a kid but I read a lot and they were one of my favs. Maybe the books in question really aren't appropriate in this day and age. I would have to read it to see what the big deal is about.
University of California at San Diego apparently has some of his older comics:

https://i.insider.com/4f6c813a69bedd0c1 ... width=1200 and
https://i.insider.com/4f6c8135eab8eae01 ... width=1200

are the two I see cited most often at a quick glance.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

xandorxerxes wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:54 pm

Let me be clear that I'm 100% with you on people being ostracized for making stupid tweets or comments (e.g. Carano). That just makes everything worse. But once we recognize something like a book, word, etc. as inherently bad/racist, I don't see a need to keep it around for it's original purpose. I don't see why we can't have the books in a Seuss exhibit for example, but we can give kids the same nostalgia we have for our childrens' books with books that don't have these caricatures in them.

And you know this doesn't stop with the "problematic" content, it inevitably bleeds into other things as well. You know this, I know this, we all know this.

It's like when you placate the child that throws tantrums by telling your more reasonable child to just "let them use the toy" because you know your reasonable child won't act out and your tantrum child will stop (for now). All it does is teach the tantrum child that they get what they want by doing this.

FYI, she wasn't fired for stupid tweets/comments, all the info that's come out since then plus her interview clearly shows that they were looking to can her since last year for not toeing the line. I'd check her out DW interview (yes, yes, right-wing site...they are fanning flames...yeah I know)
killacross

Post by killacross »

Had my year end review. Got high marks all across the board. Got a 218% multiplier on my bonus. Plus the pandemic thank you bonus (4 wks pay) + merit increase (6%) [apparently I only got the pay band differential for going from Senior Engineer to Staff Engineer]. I think I'll be with this company a liiiiiiittle longer. Not like anywhere else wants me anyway. My wife has FINALLY started applying at other places while waiting for her old coworker to come through. FINALLY! I figure we are going to re-evaluate in 6 months. We'll see...
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Just found out one of my employees died a couple days ago. They said COVID related but he died of a heart attack. Less than a year since he retired. I'm sure he would have traveled if not for the pandemic. Life is short.
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

Digital Masta wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:46 pm
FYI, she wasn't fired for stupid tweets/comments, all the info that's come out since then plus her interview clearly shows that they were looking to can her since last year for not toeing the line. I'd check her out DW interview (yes, yes, right-wing site...they are fanning flames...yeah I know)
If there's an interview I don't mind reading it. It's just things that purport to be news/factual but are very slanted that grinds my gears. I'll take a look for a transcript, thanks.
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

xandorxerxes wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:10 pm
Digital Masta wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:46 pm
If there's an interview I don't mind reading it. It's just things that purport to be news/factual but are very slanted that grinds my gears. I'll take a look for a transcript, thanks.
2x speed on youtube, my man.
superbob
Site Admin

Post by superbob »

San Goku wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:13 pm Just found out one of my employees died a couple days ago. They said COVID related but he died of a heart attack. Less than a year since he retired. I'm sure he would have traveled if not for the pandemic. Life is short.
One of my professors finally retired to a 40 acre ranch that he purchased in montana after 40 years of teaching. Ended up with pancreatic cancer and passed away about 11 months after his retirement...

That being said, there is a hockey player who ended up with myocarditis that he didn't have pre covid diagnosis. This is what i'm mostly worried about with covid.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/21250 ... MrPGphlOMA
killacross

Post by killacross »

Hmm...
So the company that I just interviewed with and didn't get the job has posted a new position. If position #1 is writing the document and performing the work... Position #2 is reviewing and approving it

.. Same job, just different side of the coin

.. Not sure what etiquette says to do.. But probably gonna apply again anyway. It'll put the onus on them to say yes or no (I think they'll say no and I won't even get interviewed)

.. Gonna give it a day
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

Sat my son down and we watched a couple Naruto episodes (Chunin exam in the forest and Rock Lee vs Gaara fight). He was able to say Sasuke and Sakura lol. Love thus kid.
killacross wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:41 am Hmm...
So the company that I just interviewed with and didn't get the job has posted a new position. If position #1 is writing the document and performing the work... Position #2 is reviewing and approving it

.. Same job, just different side of the coin

.. Not sure what etiquette says to do.. But probably gonna apply again anyway. It'll put the onus on them to say yes or no (I think they'll say no and I won't even get interviewed)

.. Gonna give it a day
Good luck! Even better since you know what interview questions they'll ask and fresh in your mind.
superbob wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:04 am
San Goku wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:13 pm Just found out one of my employees died a couple days ago. They said COVID related but he died of a heart attack. Less than a year since he retired. I'm sure he would have traveled if not for the pandemic. Life is short.
One of my professors finally retired to a 40 acre ranch that he purchased in montana after 40 years of teaching. Ended up with pancreatic cancer and passed away about 11 months after his retirement...

That being said, there is a hockey player who ended up with myocarditis that he didn't have pre covid diagnosis. This is what i'm mostly worried about with covid.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/21250 ... MrPGphlOMA
Man that freaking sucks. That would be a dream if I could own a 40 acre ranch in Montana. Having said that check out that Yellowstone show on Amazon, show is lit.

You could be an athletic NHL player or regular Joe, I guess no one is immune.
killacross

Post by killacross »

San Goku wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:20 pm Sat my son down and we watched a couple Naruto episodes (Chunin exam in the forest and Rock Lee vs Gaara fight). He was able to say Sasuke and Sakura lol. Love thus kid.

Good luck! Even better since you know what interview questions they'll ask and fresh in your mind.
Thanks -- personally, I hope they skip the interview (I did JUST interview a week ago or so).

My daughter likes to watch RWBY (probably because it is so colorful)
She slept in our bed last night. She was talking in her sleep. That girl is so pure of heart! She would do this very creepy/ half-asleep laugh and say "Good job mama, good job papa!" ...then fart and roll over and snore.

Have you all started potty training? She has been excellent! We are just under 2 months in...and will probably move from potty to training seat on the toilet in the next 2 weeks.
San Goku

Post by San Goku »

killacross wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:01 pm
San Goku wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:20 pm Sat my son down and we watched a couple Naruto episodes (Chunin exam in the forest and Rock Lee vs Gaara fight). He was able to say Sasuke and Sakura lol. Love thus kid.

Thanks -- personally, I hope they skip the interview (I did JUST interview a week ago or so).

My daughter likes to watch RWBY (probably because it is so colorful)
She slept in our bed last night. She was talking in her sleep. That girl is so pure of heart! She would do this very creepy/ half-asleep laugh and say "Good job mama, good job papa!" ...then fart and roll over and snore.

Have you all started potty training? She has been excellent! We are just under 2 months in...and will probably move from potty to training seat on the toilet in the next 2 weeks.
Sooo cute lol. Cotdamn no I need to start potty training. I was over ambitious and tried to introduce it to my son months ago. He just took it apart and started playing with it. Good reminder I need to talk to the wife about starting to train. I think he's more than capable now. Does your daughter still use the pacifier? I want to get rid of it but it makes my son go down easily.
killacross

Post by killacross »

We never gave her a pacifier. My in laws asked about it one day.. We said no.. So they gave her one anyway.

I made a big scene of throwing them all away and that fixed that

.. She sucks her thumb.. But not a lot. Mostly on car rides when she's bored
xandorxerxes

Post by xandorxerxes »

killacross wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:33 pm We never gave her a pacifier. My in laws asked about it one day.. We said no.. So they gave her one anyway.

I made a big scene of throwing them all away and that fixed that

.. She sucks her thumb.. But not a lot. Mostly on car rides when she's bored
I was completely unaware of negative side effects of using pacifiers. TIL.

That said - San don't feel bad because apparently using it until age 1 is extremely helpful in reducing the likelihood of SIDS. Getting the kid off by age 2 is the best, but definitely by age 3. 5 is right out (no seriously).

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17256438/
Digital Masta

Post by Digital Masta »

killacross

Post by killacross »

So have any of you all gotten your vaccine shots? They have started rolling them out in my city and at my company

I haven't gotten it yet.. But not really in a hurry to do it either