1. First of all a VPN (Virtual Private Network), as defined by Wikipedia:

"A VPN provides varying levels of security so that traffic sent through the VPN connection stays isolated from other computers on the intermediate network, either through the use of a dedicated connection from one "end" of the VPN to the other, or through encryption. VPNs can connect individual users to a remote network or connect multiple networks together.

For example, users may use a VPN to connect to their work computer terminal from home and access their email, files, images, etc.

Through VPNs, users are able to access resources on remote networks, such as files, printers, databases, or internal websites. VPN remote users get the impression of being directly connected to the central network via a point-to-point link."

Essentially a VPN service offers an encrypted tunnel to another computer, which then connects out to the open Internet.

A free option I'm using right now: http://www.vpnbook.com It's a donation-based VPN that's faster than the one from TPB.

What to look for in selecting a VPN: read their privacy statement and terms of service. Specifically read on their logging practices and location of the company and their servers. Avoid servers in countries that require data retention (logging). Good countries are Switzerland, Sweden, Romania, and others.

FOREWARNED: A VPN is good for hiding from those pesky copyright industry notices. A VPN does not mean you are entirely anonymous. In fact with unlimited national budgets; NSA working with writers of closed-source binaries (such as Apple and MS); working with BIOS chip makers; etc. Then you may never assume that any connection to the Internet is ever anonymous. "Anonymous" is a word that's thrown out there a lot, but it's a unicorn and does not exist. If your life depends on it, use a distant open WiFi (only once) on a wiped laptop using a live Linux distribution CD. None of you here should have that issue, but if you live in Iran et al. then that is an issue.

There are some amazing paid services and one of the best of them all is Cloud VPN. Another good paid service I have experience with is Anonine. Preferably use services that accept BitCoin.

To set up VPNbook service:

1. Download and install OpenVPN Windows GUI: http://openvpn.se/download.html
    2. Download the UDP config file and certificate: http://www.vpnbook.com/free-openvpn-account/vpnbook-udp53.zip
    3. Unpack the zip in %ProgramFiles%\OpenVPN\config (%ProgramFiles(x86)%\OpenVPN\config on 64-bit systems)
    4. Right-click OpenVPN in the system tray and select "connect"

login: freeopenvpn
    pass: J8hfCiu6W

-or-

You can use PPTP which is built into Windows. It doesn't use the extra SSL certificate layer but it's good enough for file sharing.

1. In the Windows search bar type in "Networking and Sharing" and click Network and Sharing Center once it appears.
    2. Click "Set up a new connection or network"
    3. Click "Connect to a workplace"
    4. Click "Use my Internet connection"
    5. for the Internet address type in euro1.vpnbook.com and then click "next".
    6. User name: pptp -- password: 9jHbfKiN

To connect to it, in your system tray click on the network icon and a small window should appear listing your VPN connection(s). Looks like the list you get when connecting to wireless networks.

When connected, Internet traffic will be tunneled through the VPN.

IMPORTANT: There is a common security flaw however. If for some reason (comp returning from sleep can do this) you disconnect from the VPN and the torrent is still running, your real IP will enter the swarm. This Torrentfreak article lists various 3rd-party programs that can solve this: http://torrentfreak.com/how-to-make-vpns-even-more-secure-120419/

It goes without saying that you should keep your computer as secure as possible. PCWorld rigorously tests anti-malware software against a malware "zoo" as well as subjecting them to new, 0-day, viruses. For paid solution, G-DATA is at the top. For a free full-feature AV (I define "full feature" as live file and network scanning plus behavior detection) Avira Free and Panda Cloud rank highly.

Be safe out there.
  2. I've never really cared for sleep mode on spinning disks. Since it also messes with your torrents, might as well turn it off. Still fine to let your monitors sleep though. I'm too lazy to play around and find all of these on my own today, citations included. Most I think have pictures if you need em.

Windows 7 (New York Computer Help):

1. Go to Start->Control Panel->Power Options
    2. Select Change when the computer sleeps
    3. Choose Never and Save changes
    Windows Vista (eHow):
    1. Click the "Start" button, click "Control Panel" and then open the "Power Options" section.
    2. Click "Change plan settings," click "Change advanced settings" and then expand the "Sleep" section by clicking on the plus symbol.
    3. Click "Sleep After" and then set both options to "Never."
    4. Click "Allow hybrid sleep" and then set both options to "Never."
    5. Click "OK" to apply the settings. Sleep mode is now disabled.
    Windows XP (ebcak.com):
    1. Launch the Control Panel.
    2. If you are in Classic View, find the Power Options Icon and Double Click. If you are In Category View, click the Performance And Maintenance and then click on Power Options.
    3. Under the Power Schemes Tab, set the Standby and/or Hibernate Options to Never.
    4. Click Apply/Ok and you’re done.
    Mac (wikihow.com):
    1. Click on the blue/black apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen, and choose System Preferences
    2. In the Hardware section, select Energy Saver
    3. Make sure the Settings for: drop-down box is set to Power Adapter
    4. On the Sleep tab, move the sliding bar labeled Put the computer to sleep when it is inactive for: to Never
  3. I've been testing VPNBook for about two months.
    It's new and pretty fast. Server in Romania hosted by Voxility.
    They publish the FREE pptp password on their webpage. Also OpenVPN.

Funny. A published password makes man-in-the-middle attack on the vpn tunnel easy.
    Yet most ISPs won't normally "hack" into a client's encrypted traffic.
    But for torrents it's great. Torrent monitoring is mostly peer IP harvesting from swarms.
    So connecting through a "published password" VPN can't hurt.
    It's actually an innovative idea.

Previously, they would change the password every few days.
    Now they don't bother. It stays the same.
    It's becoming popular (and growing).
    Logins can be slow sometimes.

VPNBook shows up as 195.60.76.223 in torrents.
    Everybody using the VPN all show the same IP in the swarm (different client IDs).
    Impossible to know who is who on 195.60.76.223. Could be hundreds (or thousands).
    Everyone shares a VPN connection with public IP 195.60.76.223.

And VPNBook claims to delete all connection logs every three days.
    They also don't log user's actual activity. Romania is cool with that (for now).

I've noticed that ScanEye torrent monitoring of 195.60.76.223 is rapidly showing more hits.
    This is a good thing. The "dirtier" the better. Good "shared" VPNs should be "dirty".
    Lost in the swarm I say!
    krozar likes this.
  4. Despite the open password, each session generates its own key. Simply knowing the login password does not allow someone to break the encryption. It's the same on your bank's website or anywhere else SSL encryption is used.
  5. This applies to MS-CHAP2 pptp?
  6. Call me MegaParanoid ... BUT

http://whatismyipaddress.com/ shows 195.60.76.223 in Virginia and not Romania!
    But paste 195.60.76.223 into the search feature and it goes back to Romania.

Voxility has an office and telephone in Virginia.
    HoneyPot Alert? Hmmmmm? A Mystery!
    krozar likes this.
  7. All records I pulled, including the whois I pulled from my Linux box, are showing Bucharest RO and even Google keeps wanting to switch there. Never used that site, they must have old block data.
  8. There was a thread about all this earlier in the Spring on here and it's been ongoing since early Summer. I've been using AirVPN and only issue I had was my server was waking up my pc.

http://theanimelounge.com/threads/t...r-internet-sopa-pipa.16596/page-5#post-375524

As far as G Data goes I've read it's no better than my Norton Internet Security package I pay for. Norton also doesn't hog like it used to.. not even close nor does it cause any issues online gaming for me at least.

I haven't had a single issue in years. Also provides me with Identity Safe that works with Firefox as a plug in and stores all my id/passes which are encrypted and safe. Unlike a few years ago they also are keeping up with the rapid releases from Mozilla for Firefox. Used to be a month then weeks, daysss and now it's maybe a day or two if that.
  9. Hey is there any reason why connecting to Open VPN would fail? I don't know much about troubleshooting this kind of stuff. I just downloaded it and did what it said. Windows did say something about it requiring all drivers to have a digital signature of something like that and so it said the program may not function correctly. But everything installed just fine, it just fails to connect.
  10. As long as the config and certificate files are in the OpenVPN\config directory it should work. You may have to forward the port. The .ovpn file will show the port(s) being used. It will be listed on the line that starts with "remote".

If your router has UPnP enabled you can forward ports from any number of free programs. I use a DOS/Linux CLI program called upnpc to automatically forward and close ports via batch files or shell scripts. Many programs attempt to port forward automatically via UPnP, not sure if OpenVPN does this. If no UPnP you can do it through http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1

The OpenVPN log screen should give you more info as to why it's not connecting.
  11. I checked the log and noticed this:

Mon Dec 24 16:59:48 2012 CreateFile failed on TAP device: \\.\Global\{370BA0ED-33B8-4DE2-A7D5-73025631AE5D}.tap
    Mon Dec 24 16:59:48 2012 All TAP-Win32 adapters on this system are currently in use.
    Mon Dec 24 16:59:48 2012 Exiting

No idea what it means though.
  12. Easy fix. OpenVPN needs its own TAP adapter (creates a network bridge). It usually creates one but Windows may have it disabled.

START -> Search for Network and Sharing Center -> Change Adapter Settings. Right-click the adapter called TAP-Win32 Adapter V9 and select Enable.
    If already enabled, then disable and re-enable it.
  13. 404 on the UDP Config files.
  14. This won't really affect viruses, it's more to mask your computer's real identity from those who'd try to find it (RIAA, MPAA, etc). After you VPN, if you surf to bad sites, you'll still be just as affected. Now, if you're not patched up and you manage to hit a worm while VPN'ed, the worm will propegate from you to the network you're on. While you're VPN'ed, that's wherever you VPN to - but if your VPN kicks you off for spamming them with worm traffic, it's back to your home network.
  15. Looking for a VPN any advice?
  16. PrivateInternetAccess is around $25 for a year, and is extremely easy to use with lots of variety.
  17. Okay, I'm thinking about setting up a VPN for my Samsung S5. I'm pretty new to all this and have been checking various sites, but I keep running into a few snags. Like I'm renting a room and wifi is provided from me, so how can obtain the necessary information to set one up?
    San Goku likes this.
  18. Anyone know how to set one up for a Blackberry Q10 just out of curiosity.
    .//drasticc likes this.