1. http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=23655125

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

MOBO:ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

MEMORY:G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR

GRAPHICS: SAPPHIRE 100354OC-2L Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 CrossFireX Support Video Card

SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series SV300S37A/120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

CASE: RAIDMAX Agusta ATX-605BT Black/Titanium Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

$769.94 USD
    Leave out the case and drop $100. HDD, PS, and opticals I already have.

Any ideas on this budget rig?
  2. Damn the SSD hasn't moved since two to three years ago? It's still around $100 for a 120 GB.
  3. Yeah but for the performance gains you get from an SSD it's a must and not bad for $80 when you consider the cost to performance ratio you'll get from it. Set a ~12 GB partition and use the Intel Smart Response caching program to make your large traditional HDD a hybrid SSD/HDD. That way you get performance gains not only from the files on the SDD but on the HDD too.

SSDs, like anything else, can fail. But SSDs fail without any warning unlike an HDD which is likely to start giving SMART errors and bad clusters prior to bricking up. Create a partition on the large HDD and schedule regular backups from the SSD.

I just placed my order. Going to put everything in a full ATX I already have and then order a case, new HDD, and PS later just for the new hardware, that way I have 2 game-capable rigs in operational order.

Specs of old "gaming" system:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus core (AM3 socket, 64-bit) @ 2.8ghz stable
    MOBO: Foxconn A7DA 3 w/ 790GX NB and 2 16x PCIe and 2 1x PCIe
    MEMORY: 4gb (2x 2GB) G.Skill DDR3 1333 max bandwidth
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 4870

It plays most games with near-high settings. Skyrim and Far Cry 3 ran very smooth. But it is over 4 years old and time for an upgrade.

What I really want in an Oc Rift when game developers start supporting it.
  4. I am in the process of updating my old i7920 rig x2 275gtx cards, water cooling, gigabyte mobo but when I started playing ffxiv on pc it was just hurting. Mostly it was my cards but I needed a new mobo.. this one didn't have hdmi and I was low on memory slots.

Still working on it but I said f it for the first time and bought a gaming prebuilt pc.. it's for gaming and for htpc to run all my media off my little HP server.. god I love that thing and it's tiny. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=3969718&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

Love SSD's. http://www.thessdreview.com/ I'd post up your specs/etc on toms hardware in their forum section too. As with any gaming rig get a good case and cooling and leave yourself open for future upgrades or additions.. no I did not say futureproof.. I hate that fucking term lol.

Don't need tons of memory and it's not overly expensive but don't go cheap.. you'll end up doing bandaid fixes for years.

my htpc has the i7-4770 8cpus and nvidia gtx 670. Benchmarks were extremely high for ffxiv on highest settings. I'd think your setup would do excellent as well. I never get overly hot temps when gaming or anything. I love nvidia and their geforce experience software to upgrade your drivers is fucking awesome. I just stay off the beta drivers.

Anyway, good luck and give some updates and pics.
  5. Thought I'd ask here since you guys are talking about graphics cards and stuff. I have a i5-3210m, 2.5ghz, 4gb ram laptop. The thing is it doesn't have a seperate graphics card. Instead it has an intel HD Graphics 4000. I read around and it's build in to the processor if I'm not mistaken. My question, is this graphics card any good. For some reason I can't even play lq games like Pro evolution soccer (soccer game), which obviously doesn't require much. I'm wondering if I need to download something or do something to optimize the graphics card. Cause my laptop should be able to play a freaking soccer game from 2011.
    My twin has a Laptop that's 3 years old and he can play BF3 on it dammit. Is my laptop really that shitty?
  6. Glad you got your parts in man.

@Haoh laptops are very limited as to what you can upgrade and therefore become outdated quite quickly but the newer stuff allow 2-3 parts to be upgradable. Just as an example.. Dell redid their M series gaming laptops this year and you can upgrade a few key components. They realize this is necessary with the money you pay and how quickly hardware is outdate anymore.

As far as your Intel graphics. I have on my htpc the card I listed above and Intel graphics as well.. just depends on what I plug my hdmi into but the Intel graphics is not gaming friendly at all and this is a Intel HD 4600. It is very noticeable the difference.

So yeah your laptop sucks lol.
    Haohmaru likes this.
  7. Yeah the Intel HD 4000 cores are integrated into the CPU.

Here is what the Ivy Bridge CPU looks like under the heat spreader:

[IMG]

[IMG]

The far left in the bottom image is the graphics processor. That's not very many cores for a graphics processor.

In comparison, here is the die of a modern GPU:

[IMG]

Plus the dedicated GDDR5, clock, etc. A proper 3D card is the only choice for gaming. Intel HD 4000 is designed to run MS Office, Lotus Notes, etc. smoothly with the MS Aero effects. It won't do much more than that. Dedicated GPUs are unparalleled in parallel processing.
    Haohmaru and Vicious like this.
  8. http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=23702452

My new PC.

MY current pc started to freeze all of a sudden. I did a benchmark test on my video card to see if anything was wrong. Since it started freezing when I was watching a video. Then it froze on me when I was just surfing the internet.

I did memtest to see if it was a Ram issue. No problems found. Not sure. It's only a year old too ><
    krozar likes this.
  9. BTW I picked this thing up for $15 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002WBX9C6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This wifi adapter will destroy those $30+ adapters at BestBuy and it has an Atheros chipset supporting monitoring and packet injection, works out of the box in Backtrack5 RC3 Linux (although Win7 required the OEM driver). I'm picking up signals from 3 blocks away. Throw on an 8dB antenna for $8 more http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200342&pf_rd_i=507846
  10. So my old laptop hard drive is fried and I'm thinking about replacing it with an SSD (and also getting rid of my moody CD drive and putting in a 2nd hard drive instead). What I want to know is this...if my laptop hard drive was originally a SATA drive, can I just pop in a SSD with no problem?
  11. Second a second hard drive is probably a good idea, depending on your usage. SSD is great for storing your OS and a few frequent programs, but GB for GB it's far pricier than a HDD. Small SSD, big HDD. Still the way to go at this point in time for most users.

As for the laptop, there are only a couple of issues you could run into. The size of the SSD may not fit your laptop properly, so try to find out what size your current HDD is. If the size is correct, you should have no problems.
  12. SSHDs are good or you can use part of an SSD as a cache drive for your HDD using Intel Smart Response (make sure you do this before installing the OS as it requires custom partitioning).

It should fit fine. SSDs for PCs use the 2.5" SATA that laptops use. Most PC cases require an adapter to fit the drive in a 3.5" slot. The SATA and 15-pin power connectors are in standard configuration.

FYI: SATA III is backwards compatible with SATA II although get an SSD with Sync instead of an Async NAND controller as it will perform better on a SATA II mobo with a SATA III drive.

For brands I would go with Samsung or OCZ.
  13. Honestly, I'm not really sure what the cache drive is for exactly.

Ideally here is what I'm looking at. I eventually want to replace this laptop with a heavy duty laptop (I would prefer a desktop but that isn't the most practical option right now) that I can use for graphic design and video work, and eventually designate my current laptop to "Entertainment and office work" type status.

Sadly, don't have to bones for the heavy duty one but I should be able to at least fix the one I have and get started on it.

My initial idea was to have the SSD for the OS and then use part of the second drive as dump for temp files and all the BS that programs create that bog down your hard drive.
  14. Intelligent caching takes the files that you load most often and stores them in solid state. It's dynamic whereas just a straight up SSD requires those files be there all the time, so you have to do more file maintenance such as uninstalling a game you play and moving it back to the HDD to save room sine SSDs bog down big time once filled past 60%.

Another good thing to do if you have a lot of RAM is to create a ramdisk for storing temporary page files. SSDs have a write lifetime and it will cut down the amount of writing significantly.

With an OS on the SSD you will see a big speed improvement on bootup. With a fresh install I had WIndows7 loading up before the logo even loaded (as it's a fixed-speed animation). Now it gets to the logo and then immediately at the login screen.
  15. This laptop only 4GB so I wouldn't do that with this one.

So say I did have a laptop setup like I mentioned above. One SSD and one HDD (not a hybrid). I could make part of the SSD a cache drive?
    krozar likes this.
  16. So intelligent caching is basically you're merging your SSD and HHD?

Because then what would be the difference than having a regular SSD with os installed. Then putting in a HDD in it afterwards?
  17. As I said, it removes the need for file system maintenance. Say you pirate a new game and install it on C:, which is the SSD. A month later you no longer play it as much but need the room. By moving it you also cause problems of ensuring the game can access the saved game files (usually in %appdata%\roaming\GAMENAME\saves on the OS drive) and other dependencies. Dynamic caching doesn't change the directory structure.
  18. How can I use Intel Smart Response with no OS to run the program that sets it up? Or are you saying that I need to make a separate partition for it in preparation of using it. So for example on the SSD I create a C: and I: drive then I use the I: drive for the Intel Smart Response.