1. For fun I've been thinking of a very small form factor gaming build <$850.I likely won't build one but it would be fun to make a "console"-like ultra portable system that will kick PS4 and XBONE in the face.

Requirements:

• Mini-ITX;
    • Water cooled. AIO 120, 140, 240, 280s are all fine. It won't have a crazy heat-producing CPU. Whatever the case supports.
    • RX 480 4 or 8GB which gives us respectable 1440 gaming and VR.
    • Reliable SSD;
    • >= 8GB RAM;
    • <400 watts;
    • Looks sharp;
    AMD or Intel CPUs are fine. However Intel offers all their sockets for mini-ITX while AMD only gives us FM2+ and not their flagship AM3+ (dicks). Due air flow I would go with low profile ram heat spreaders like the g.Skill Ares series.

I've done budget builds for family but they've all been full towers and before the introduction of the RX 480. My go-tos are the Corsair Carbide cases (200R is phenomenal with all its options, roominess, and quality) with an FX 8350 and R7 270 with a recent build I did. The RX 480 really improves on those specs. However with a Mini-ITX it's a no-go on the FX series.

I'll post a Partspicker link soon of what I've got.
  2. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($83.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock A68M-ITX Mini ITX FM2+ Motherboard ($63.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($159.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card ($269.99 @ B&H)
    Case: Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Tower Case ($42.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($56.94 @ Amazon)
    Total: $787.87
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-26 04:14 EDT-0400

Once the RX 480 4GB versions are in stock then it will be $70 cheaper. All that's available are $270+ 8GB versions. Some 8GB versions are $230 list but sold out ATM.

Went all out with a 500GB Samsung SSD. The 1TB WD Blue 7200, which has same performance as WD Black, will work fine to save $. I've come to love WD's reliability so for an HDD I will not go with Seagate, etc.

The PSU is modular and 80+ Bronze which is a big plus. The build comes in at 318 watts.

Final note: waiting on RX 480 to catch up with demand and going with an HDD will bring the price down to ~$650, which makes it a true budget build without sacrificing gaming performance. The SSD is a nice option, however. Heavy storage should be done by NAS or external USB 3 drive. There are several case options. There are smaller cases (L x W) that are longer to support upwards of 13" cards but the 9.5" 480 fits perfectly here in this 10.5" clearance. In addition, the PSU here has its own compartment below the mobo rather than many mITX cubes where it sits above it, necessitating water and short-cable modular PSUs. I'd also add some fans for this but it should be fine stock.
    Vicious likes this.
  3. Nice Kro. Keep us updated. Looking good so far.
    krozar likes this.