Finland

Discussion in 'General' started by XandorXerxes, Jan 13, 2016.

1. XandorXerxes Sannensei

Message Count:
    Hokay, so - a friend of the lady's is getting married in about 16 months and she has set her marriage location just outside of Helsinki. I don't know the specifics of it yet, and for all I know said friend will change her mind about the location again (it was Bermuda before it was Finland), but given that I have never been anywhere near Finland or the nearby countries, I'll probably aim to go to that area in the next few years anyways. I'll likely have about 3-4 days to really get to do things, I imagine the first 2-3 days of the vacation will be filled with wedding stuff.

Any tips on things to go do / see? How rare are non-Finnish speakers? Wikipedia says that English is pretty common, but I only trust random people on the internet if I've seen them discuss anime. Anything else that I should know?
  2. eddieson cookie

Message Count:
    Martzu is the one to talk to.
  3. Thunderbox Those sleepless nights

Message Count:
    I've been there twice (first time in the summer, second time in the winter), almost died there in the middle of a forest way up North. I hope I can be of some help until Martzu comes along.

In any case, if you're just going to Helsinki or the area around it, don't worry too much about language barrier. Most people that will be relevant for your stay, will be able to speak English, probably well enough to help you out/get you what you need. If you're going in winter, don't expect to be welcomed warmly. Finnish people tend to change with the season (summer/winter), and in the winter... well, you know how it gets: pitch dark at 3-4 pm, no sun whatsoever, and shitload of snow. Not to mention the cold. Of course, this is not for everyone, but I've been there in the winter and summer; and in the winter people are considerably less willing to help out, or have angry faces on (might've just been me, because I looked like shit).

In the summer, people get more open and also go outside more. There's some great events in Helsinki during that time, great music festivals, art, etc...

In 3-4 days, you'll have plenty of time to visit pretty much all important tourist stuff in Helsinki. If you're going in the summer, the city centre is also a great place to stroll around. My personal favourites weren't so much the these tourist attractions, but just walking around in the city, and just looking around.

You should definitely go, I hope this friend of your wife decides to go there, in the summer, it's one of the most beautiful countries in the world, at least in my opinion.
    XandorXerxes likes this.
  4. Haohmaru Moderator

Message Count:
    Go to Sweden it has nicer places to "sigthsee" ;)
  5. Martzu Bad Motor Moderator

Message Count:
    It seems location might change few times in future. :p

When it comes to people speaking English, you're safe. We take English lessons starting from 3rd year in school. So most people will understand you (unless you have really thick accent) even if they are not very good at having conversations. And most people who don't understand, will try to find someone who does.

For tips, what kind of things you are interested to see? There are much to see and experience. Almost anything from national parks to night clubbing. Museums, pubs, parks, concerts, picnics... It's easy to rent a car, or use public transportation.

What you should know. Finns love their personal space. (Arm's length, and when grumpy you add to that length of a knife. That is stereotype, just kidding here.) Similar things applies when it comes to behaviour and such than in any western country.

As Thunderbox said FInns come alive during summertime, rest of the year we sulk. In north sun sets in November and rices again in mid January. And that is not a jolly thing, and therefore we ain't either.

Wintertime, it was not how you looked Thunderbox, it's us, we sulk.

http://brightside.me/article/why-you-need-to-visit-finland-75355/
    XandorXerxes likes this.
  6. San Goku Otaku

Message Count:
    There are a lot of Finnish in Canada. I know they like their progees. That is all I know lol.
  7. XandorXerxes Sannensei

Message Count:
    Thank you guys for the tips. Since it would be late May, I'm hoping to be there at "happy time." As for what we like to do, we stay pretty low-key (I'm one of the lame Americans), so probably hit up the touristy things and just walk around the city a bit.

Martzu: thanks for the tip on personal space. Sounds perfect to me, so no complaints here.

I grew up in the US in the South, but I'm in the Midwest now. According to various people who have commented on it, I still have a bit of accent, but I don't *think* it's too bad. Mostly picked it up when I worked in South Carolina for a couple of years, fortunately I didn't really grow up with it. Hopefully I'll understand when I'm talked to in proper English, heh.
    Thunderbox likes this.