Dragon Ball Super

Discussion in 'Manga' started by San Goku, Mar 2, 2015.

1. UNTZ Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    It's not the same and it's not just less filler. A lot of the details are different. In the manga, Beerus remembers SSJ God because of the name of a soup, but in the anime it's during a planet's explosion that he remembers it. Beerus also encounters different aliens and the events play out differently. The manga also had scenes not in the anime, such as Goku imagining Frieza, Cell, and Buu during his training or aliens attempting to poison Beerus.

I'm actually glad about that since I'm hoping the Goku vs Beerus fight will be redrawn rather than have the exact same moves we saw in the movie. The SSJ3 Goku portion of the manga was nearly the same move for move.

Actually, both the manga and the anime are deviating from the movies. There are small details such as Bulma's party happening on a cruise ship instead in her backyard, but the big one is that the BOG arc of Super happens only a few months after the Buu arc while in the movie it happens 4 years after. This is a big change as Pan shouldn't be conceived for years yet, so the SSJ God ritual can't happen like in the movie as they'll be short a Saiyan. They'll either have to retcon the ritual for Super, introduce another Saiyan (like maybe Tarble), or retcon Pan's age to have her be conceived earlier.

If Pan's age is retconned, then this could mean the 10 year later epilogue could be retconned as well. Pan is 4 in the epilogue, so unless Videl's pregnancy lasts 6 years, Pan can't show up in Super now unless they change things. If Toriyama is retconning the movies, I wouldn't be surprised if he retcons the epilogue too.

In any event, the movies were supposed to be canon, but thanks to Super they are no longer. If Super is now the official canon, then the movies wouldn't be any more canon than GT is.

If Uub does appear in Super, I wouldn't be worried about him being behind God Goku. Frieza was naturally strong without training and once he started training, it only took him a couple of months to catch up to God Goku. I doubt Buu ever trained and as his reincarnation Uub should naturally be as strong as Kid Buu. Once he starts training, Uub would catch up to Goku in no time.

As for Champa, I'm curious as well. At first I was quite certain he was another God of Destruction from Universe 6, but this chapter somewhat implies otherwise. Provided it's not a translation error, North Kaiou's statement actually leaves it open for there to be multiple Gods of Destruction within our universe, rather than just the sole God of Destruction setup mentioned in Battle of Gods. When he's exasperated about Beerus coming to his planet, he refers to Beerus as "the most powerful God of Destruction in the universe". Granted, this could simply mean that not all of the Gods of Destruction that preceded him were as powerful, but it could also mean that there are multiple Gods of Destruction in the universe, and Beerus is simply the strongest of all of them. As such, it's possible then that Champa is simply another God of Destruction of Universe 7, and simply not as strong as Beerus is. Of course, at the same time there's the continuous statements of Beerus being the God of Destruction of Universe 7. I would think that if there were more then they'd simply refer to him as one of the Gods of Destruction of Universe 7. Not to mention the Elder Kai refers to Beerus as THE God of Destruction in episode 2. I guess we'll find out soon.
  2. San Goku Otaku

Message Count:
  3. UNTZ Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    You know despite the anime for Super being the canon, I'm looking forward to the manga more. Mainly because we're actually getting new stuff with the Champa scenes. Wonder why these Champa scenes are showing up in the manga but not in the anime episodes? I thought it was a nice twist having the Champa scenes at the same time the BOG retelling is happening and was disappointed that Champa didn't show up in the anime.
  4. Leroy :Re

Message Count:
    I am guessing because the anime is bloated compared to the manga and yet at the same time they want to keep the pace nearly identical.
  5. UNTZ Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    The Champa scenes are still pretty brief though, so I don't think it would affect the pacing much to include them in the anime. Especially since the anime episodes are weekly while the manga is monthly. Plus it seems kind of odd that Champa would be introduced in the manga before the anime when the anime is the one that's supposed to be canon. Champa has already been shown in the opening and in previews, so I don't see why they couldn't include these scenes in the anime.
  6. UNTZ Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Spoilers for latest chapter:

http://www.shonengamez.com/2015/09/15/dragon-ball-super-chapter-4-spoilers/

Other things of note:
    --The god ritual is the version from Battle of Gods. Videl isn't blonde and Goku is holding hands too.
    --The fight starts on the ship, but Goku and Beerus take off for other locales from the film.
    --Super Saiyan God seems to last the whole fight.
    --Shisami is with Tagoma and Sorbet. So maybe Garana was above Tagoma, but he got bumped up once Garana died.

Wait... Kaioshin and Kibito are two people again? Hopes that will translate to the anime. If not, then Toyotaro seems to be doing some pretty ballsy stuff.

But honestly, they should just have him write the script for Super anime. He's doing a much better job. Like how he's connecting the events, with Champa sneaking around during the BOG arc and inadvertently helping start up the ROF arc. It's actually intriguing, adds worthwhile new things to the previous story, and ties them together it seems. It's more of what the anime should have been. And to think Toyotaro started out with fanworks like the Dragonball AF manga, and now he's working on official Dragonball and doing a better job than the anime writers.

I'm not really sure where Kibitoshin's de-fusion comes in place and it really does seem like something too important for Toyotaro to make it up. Might be foreshadowing another fusion? Toriyama may be planning on bringing back Vegetto so he wants us to know in advance that the fusion can be undone. Like Goku and Vegeta becoming Vegetto again to beat a villain, and then after winning go asking Porunga to defuse? Don't see a point to Kibitoshin defusing if it's not foreshadowing another potara fusion.

Looks the time-limit for SSJ God has been removed and he stays in God mode the entire fight. The anime looks like it won't have Goku go regular SSJ too, based off preview and episode titles. Shame really, that was a good a hurrah for the old Super Saiyan form. Ahh well. I assume it's to avoid confusion now that SSGSS exists. SSGSS is supposed be SSJ with God power, which was confusing since since Goku regular SSJ with God power at the end of BOG movie.

Concerning the Super Dragonballs, I'm starting to think that we'll be getting planet sized Dragon Balls, since they can clearly be seen from space based on what the sodliers said, though we don't actually get to see the dragonball yet.

So they strike punches with so much force that while on Earth it shakes the Supreme Kai's planet all the way across the universe? Is that what I'm seeing? If so, then that's some Superman-tier shit.
  7. Leroy :Re

Message Count:
    http://readms.com/r/dragon_ball_super/004/2939/1
    there is a slight mistake. Beerus is the 7th universe's god of destruction, not the 6th universe's. Also i want some clarification on the last few pages. Are the henchmen of Freeza from a different universe where also he is dead? Or did they go to a different universe in search of dragon balls?
    UNTZ likes this.
  8. UNTZ Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I said most of this above when the spoilers came out, but now that the chapter's out, I repeat it:

Wait... Kaioshin and Kibito are two people again? Hope that will translate to the anime. If not, then Toyotaro seems to be doing some pretty ballsy stuff.

But honestly, they should just have him write the script for Super anime. He's doing a much better job. Like how he's connecting the events, with Champa sneaking around during the BOG arc and inadvertently helping start up the ROF arc. It's actually intriguing, adds worthwhile new things to the previous story, and ties them together it seems. It's more of what the anime should have been. And to think Toyotaro started out with fanworks like the Dragonball AF manga, and now he's working on official Dragonball and doing a better job than the anime writers.

I'm not really sure where Kibitoshin's de-fusion comes in place and it really does seem like something too important for Toyotaro to make it up. Might be foreshadowing another fusion? Toriyama may be planning on bringing back Vegetto so he wants us to know in advance that the fusion can be undone. Like Goku and Vegeta becoming Vegetto again to beat a villain, and then after winning go asking Porunga to defuse? Don't see a point to Kibitoshin defusing if it's not foreshadowing another potara fusion.

Looks the time-limit for SSJ God has been removed and he stays in God mode the entire fight. The part with Goku fighting in base and regular SSJ with God power has been removed. The anime looks like it won't have Goku go regular SSJ too, based off preview and episode titles. Shame really, that was a good a hurrah for the old Super Saiyan form. Ahh well. I assume it's to avoid confusion now that SSGSS exists. SSGSS is supposed be SSJ with God power, which was confusing since since Goku regular SSJ with God power at the end of BOG movie.

Concerning the Super Dragonballs, I'm starting to think that we'll be getting planet sized Dragon Balls, since they can clearly be seen from space based on what the soldiers said, though we don't actually get to see the dragonball yet.

http://readms.com/r/dragon_ball_super/004/2939/12
    So they strike punches with so much force that while on Earth it shakes the Supreme Kai's planet all the way across the universe? Is that what I'm seeing? If so, then that's some Superman-tier shit.

Finally, in the upper left panel, did Goku just kick Beerus in the groin?
    http://readms.com/r/dragon_ball_super/004/2939/9

Beerus does say he's the 7th universe's god of destruction: http://readms.com/r/dragon_ball_super/004/2939/18

Concerning the last few pages, it looks like the men are Freeza's from the 7th universe. It looks like Champa has inadvertently helped set off the events of Resurrection F. Based on the caption, it does seem like they've somehow made it into another universe while searching for dragonballs and stumbled upon a super dragonball. Not sure how they got there, how they knew about super dragonballs in another universe, or why Champa is there. Champa was just in Universe 7 to look for them plus Lady Whis-lookalike is still mentioning that Beerus could notice them, so it's possible that the caption is mistranslated that they're still in Universe 7.
  9. Leroy :Re

Message Count:
  10. UNTZ Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    [IMG]

So, it seems like Toyotaro isn't doing ROF arc of Super and will just leave it with the implication that it happened by the tease at the end of the BOG content, or maybe a short summary of the events at the start of the next chapter? I guess this sorta makes sense since Toyataro has already done a manga adaption of ROF for promoting the movie.

This is really good news. We're finally getting new Dragonball content rather than just a retelling.
    San Goku likes this.
  11. Leroy :Re

Message Count:
    UNTZ likes this.
  12. Haohmaru Moderator

Message Count:
    Finally. Toriyama wasted enough of our time. I'm looking forward to new badass designs.
  13. Rai Ryuzaki Time to make the chimi f@$% changas!

Message Count:
    That's gonna be awesome I wish the anime would catch up
    UNTZ likes this.
  14. Jikit Mer with a Mouth

Message Count:
    Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Gotanks, thats four who is the 5th
  15. Ice(v)an o(O_o)>

Message Count:
    Piccolo? or just Goten and Trunks.... can't be Pan, can it?
  16. Holy Cowboy Brigade Chief

Message Count:
    DIdn't getting pussy depower Gohan?
    UNTZ and San Goku like this.
  17. Leroy :Re

Message Count:
    Let's churn it up to being in love and getting married and baby making. Maybe now he can focus on training in the name of being strong enough to protect his daughter.
    San Goku likes this.
  18. San Goku Otaku

Message Count:
    Clearly this was the best chapter by far. I am impressed with the new developments. For a sec I thought Goku was gonna blabber about the Dragonballs to Champra lol.
    UNTZ likes this.
  19. Jikit Mer with a Mouth

Message Count:
    I have hope he is the same dude who wrote AF he's not the type to let GOKU shine all on his own which is show by this tournament well damn that dude is the illustrator but the original author didn't write gt so still good

20. UNTZ Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Really glad they got rid of the stupid name "Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan" and even made fun of it. Super Saiyan Blue, while still lame, sounds much better.

Also, I thought that the "twin universe" thing was a nice twist. Most people were either expecting all the universes to be parallel universes or for each universe to be completely different. This is an interesting middle ground. I don't think I've seen it before.

As for the 5 team members, seems like they may go with the obvious choice:

[IMG]

The title is something like: The Warriors that will protect the Earth (google translator)
    I think its a puzzle that will be released in December 2015.

Seems the team will be Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Gotenks, and Piccolo.

Source: http://shopping.toei-anim.co.jp/system/item/32502/

As for how the tournament goes, my guess is it will be weakest fighter against weakest fighter first, loser eliminated, next strongest fighter tags in. And So on. Like the Uranai Baba tournament. That's what it sounds like.

Also, I wonder when the Super Dragonballs will come into play?