[Discussion] Poilitics 2017

Discussion in 'General' started by superbob, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Holy Cowboy Brigade Chief

Message Count:
    For those that don't want to go through the legalese or fight with the site for the digest..
    "Protection of life. Repeals the statues authorizing and regulating abortion. Finds that human physical life begins when a human ovum is fertilized by a human sperm. Asserts a compellng state interest in protecting human physical life from the moment that human physical life begins. Redefines "human being" for purposes of the criminal code to conform to the finding that human physical life begins when a human ovum is fertilized by a human sperm. Makes other conforming changes."
    San Goku likes this.
  2. killacross Ninensei

Message Count:
    Thanks Obama (with less than a week to go when the article was published)

I ran across this while skimming through reddit -- haven't seen it I the news cycle anywhere....

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/12/...to-share-intercepted-communications.html?_r=0

personally I do not like this...I want a smaller government regardless of their "good reason"
    ...its also funny because of how much they moan about "Trump is a petty dictator who is vindictive and will use the government to bully people"...and then this gets slipped by in the night

...and even then, I doubt trump will make it an issue to roll this back
    San Goku and XandorXerxes like this.
  3. XandorXerxes Sannensei

Message Count:
    To me, this is Obama's biggest failing - his expanding of domestic surveillance programs. I'm a pretty big privacy [nut], and between this/the Patriot Act, the CISA, and the TPP I've been banging my head on my desk for a while now.
    killacross likes this.
  4. killacross Ninensei

Message Count:
    if you aren't doing something illegal...you have nothing to worry about ;)
  5. San Goku Otaku

Message Count:
    How do you one up a well respect Civil Rights leader bringing bad press to you? You one up him and get the Hokage of all Civil Rights leaders son to come visit you.
    killacross likes this.
  6. Holy Cowboy Brigade Chief

Message Count:
    Would the niece be considered insult to injury?
    San Goku likes this.
  7. Digital Masta Peek A Boo

Message Count:
    John Lewis is a civil rights icon. That doesn't make him impervious to criticism. His history and his comments recently are separate things. His comments were uninformed and silly.
    San Goku and killacross like this.
  8. killacross Ninensei

Message Count:
    also after working the past year and a half in Atlanta -- its not all roses and gum drops and bubblegum

parts of the city are BOOOOMING with growth....and other parts are falling to pieces
    funny part always is, they are literally a block or two apart
    San Goku likes this.
  9. Cane_The9lives Indubitably.

Message Count:
    Agreed.
    Unfortunately, trump seems incapable or unwilling to make those distinctions. He sticks his foot in his mouth at the slightest provocation.

I can already project with a high degree of plausibility a recurring scenario, destined to be played out on a weekly to biweekly basis throughout the major media outlets in this country; Trump gets offended by a slight(real or imagined), launches a barrage of invectives, and poor Mike pence has to visit the set of "Good Morning America" or "60 minutes" to carry out damage control measures.

Trump is probably the first president in modern electoral history who'd benefit the most by having all his speaking engagement's performed by a replicant.
  10. XandorXerxes Sannensei

Message Count:
    Looks like Trump's transition team is looking to dismantle the consumer protection aspect of the FCC. It was nice while it lasted I guess.
  11. killacross Ninensei

Message Count:
    http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/443896/john-lewis-boycotted-george-w-bush-inauguration

Excerpt

But this isn’t the first time Lewis has boycotted a presidential inauguration. According to a Washington Post article written on January 21, 2001, Lewis and other members of the Black Caucus boycotted George W. Bush’s inauguration because they didn’t “believe Bush is the true elected president.” Lewis spent the day in his Atlanta district.

haha...why are the politicians so petty

I can already project with a high degree of plausibility a recurring scenario, destined to be played out on a weekly to biweekly basis throughout the major media outlets in this country; Trump ...pushes to advance his agenda/platform/campaign promises, the MSM and left cry foul...leftist groups gather and protest (some peacefully, most destructivlely) and destroy private and public property...leftist celebrities take to twitter to show their support...leftist talking heads get out front of some cameras and ask for money. The talking heads become incredibly wealthiER while condemning anyone else with means

lather. rinse. repeat.

4 years from now I think there will be a regime chane...I don't think Trump will be interested in the position and I think Hillary's successor will be more likeable (and a Hispanic woman outta the blue btw -- because if you don't vote for her [I know I know, assuming her gender] you are a racist, xenophobic, sexist, bigot) and will probably win by a landslide (Mexico hacking the elections and what not)
  12. Cane_The9lives Indubitably.

Message Count:
    In his defense, that was the most controversial and unprecedented election in US history. There was Genuine doubt during and in the aftermath of that hanging chad fiasco. In the end, the supreme court issued a stay essentially hammering the final nail in the proverbial coffin of the recount, and florida awarded its electoral votes to bush. But there are many who are of the opinion it was "Given" to bush, rather than conclusively determined. Whether they are right or wrong is irrelevant, but that election was unique and understandably dubious. Fuck I remember it was on BBC One every goddamn day, so much so I was begging for a rerun marathon of EastEnders(I hate that shit....)

In this case, Lewis is being flat out bitter. Trump won fair and square and boycotting his inauguration accomplishes nothing, and only serves to further the divide in this country that unfortunately Trump is the VERY LAST person I would trust to bridge it.

Nothing new there, that's been going on since time immemorial.
    San Goku likes this.
  13. killacross Ninensei

Message Count:
    with democrats in the minority...they could ALL boycott the inauguration and it mean absolutely nothing

basically...it should be news...but the MSM chooses to ignore it and pretend that the left is taking the moral high ground here by throwing a temper tantrum

their behavior gives credence to the behavior of all of their surrogates in the population

THEY should be acting like the party of togetherness that they claim themselves to be...but no one calls them out on it -- instead they blame trump for responding via twitter...

why does lewis' accomplishments 30 years ago make him untouchable...but sessions' accomplishments 25 yrs ago is not good enough and hes satan incarnate?

...the double standard annoys and infuriates me
    San Goku likes this.
  14. Cane_The9lives Indubitably.

Message Count:
    Considering the frequency in which trumps delivers his ill advised knee jerk reactions to anything that elicits his ire I don't fault them jumping down his throat. Trumps communication skills are indeed formidable( not in eloquence or syntactical composition mind you, but in his singular ability to consolidate support) but oftentimes stumbles in delivery, bypassing forethought entirely for instantaneous blunt effect. Granted, this was one of his major personality traits that many came out in droves to vote for. He's quite unremitting in his refusal to apologize/rephrase/modify just about everything that flies from his mouth and fingertips. It's simultaneously his strongest asset and greatest shortcoming.

But in the case of Lewis, trump was too overzealous and stepped on a landmine in his rush to rebuke a man who literally bled for one of the great causes of the last century. He's done this before, a la John McCain so its no big surprise and certainly not out of character.

It doesn't, it simply makes him harder to repudiate.
    Which is common amongst individuals who carry a righteous almost heroic status in the societies they live in.
  15. killacross Ninensei

Message Count:
    I disagree.. What did trump say that was so out of line? Mind your own business? Instead of complaining, help me fix it?

Obviously he wasn't genuine about the second one
    .. But Lewis is just as out of line with his nonsense about elections being stolen and invalid

Again.. I dislike trumps need to respond to every single comment about him

But I despise the MSMs collusion in the whole deal
    San Goku likes this.
  16. Rai Ryuzaki Time to make the chimi f@$% changas!

Message Count:
    There is a Women's march scheduled for the inauguration but the feminists are so busy infighting it may not happen.
    San Goku likes this.
  17. San Goku Otaku

Message Count:
    Forgive me if I don't understand but the 'amo' that the Dems were trying to using with the wikileaks, didn't Obama kind of hit his own party in the knees by releasing that Manning dude for his wikileaks to Assange? It's like what was the point of trying to have an outrage and wanting a report on your desk.
  18. San Goku Otaku

Message Count:
    Caught a clip of that Cabinet pick Price and boy did he get ROASTED by Sen. Warren about purchasing stock and then making a bill that affects that stock right after.
  19. XandorXerxes Sannensei

Message Count:
    From my limited understanding of the Manning issue, she had already been in prison longer than anyone else for a leak. I was surprised to see the commute, but I don't think it undermines anything he's said. Also, Assange has said that if Manning's sentence was commuted he would voluntarily surrender to the US. Pretty sure this is something Obama is just calling him on (I don't think anyone sane expects Assange to actually surrender himself).

I'm not sure I understand your first sentence though?

Speaking of squawkers though... freaking Feinstein:

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-welch-sessions-hysteria-20170110-story.html
    San Goku likes this.
  20. Digital Masta Peek A Boo

Message Count:
    Democrats should never complain about Wikileaks ever again if they praise Manning. At least Snowden had people's information redacted so you know...they weren't targets.

I'm just putting this here because I enjoy his response to a recent tweet by Neil deGrasse Tyson who suffers from saying really stupid things because he's an expert in a specific unrelated thing.

San Goku and Cane_The9lives like this.